Arctic Breath

"
zharmad wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:
I've noticed this skill makes MASSIVE lag

One of the practical downsides - which is a shame, as it's actually not a bad spell in and of itself.

Is the AB doing per second damage or in millisec?
Cos some how it doesnt feel per second like the Posion cloud DOT.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
the ground ice doesn't deal damage, just slows foes as if they were hit. the explosion is damage though.
Let's look at the pros and cons of this skill, shall we?

Pros:

- AoE slow that is actually decent
- The trail of ice.

Cons:

- Slowest cast time out of ALL ice attacks
- Slower projectile speed as well
- Pathetic AoE for the damage part, the enemies have to be pretty much standing INSIDE each other before you hit more than 1 (this is WITH increased radius passive skills (the AoE of the slowing part is fine as mentioned above.))
- Low base crit chance (5%)
- Crashes into objects that freezing spear can pass right through, still hitting enemies behind said object
- Causes massive FPS lag.

And this is probably more of a personal point but I'll still mention it:

- Aside from a freezing skull being really cool looking, this is a completely boring spell. It doesn't do anything to really distinguish itself from other ice attacks, as they all slow enemies, some even have an inherently increased chill duration that AB doesn't have. It's just another simple projectile attack.

I think we can all agree that SOMETHING needs to be changed about this skill, the cons outweigh the pros by a lot, and other, similar spells have more to offer (like freezing pulse has a faster cast time, and ice spear has the increased crit chance second form thing.)
Last edited by Dechef on Feb 1, 2013, 9:43:19 AM
I love the idea of Arctic Breath, and I love how it leaves a trail of ice on the ground that it passes over. I have a good computer (4.0 GHz, 16 GB, 7970 Video Card) and the spell is fine for me, but I don't think I could use it as a main skill because of the lag complaints I get from friends. Even if I joined a public party, I would just feel like an asshole for using it. :( please fix.
"
Jakzca wrote:
I love the idea of Arctic Breath, and I love how it leaves a trail of ice on the ground that it passes over. I have a good computer (4.0 GHz, 16 GB, 7970 Video Card) and the spell is fine for me, but I don't think I could use it as a main skill because of the lag complaints I get from friends. Even if I joined a public party, I would just feel like an asshole for using it. :( please fix.

^this :(

When I got the gem I thought "coool, like fireball just no burn but freez. MUST HAVE!!!".
But after I died several times becouse of the FPS problems with this spell it was a big disapointment :(.

And just as note: I am a Totem Templar.
2 Arctic Breath totems with LMP or even GMP == 1 FPS :(.

I do any bet it's the same problem as with Docks. The undead-blue-animation couses MASSIVE problems!
Last edited by Schakar on Feb 5, 2013, 4:34:29 PM
the spell is rly nice dmg wise + the trais is awesome for kiting but the fps is killin it :(

still lvling 1 in case for future fix ^^
“I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death.Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything."
Hi,

I used arctic breath on corners, staircase, debris, doorways, slopes and it lacked the nimbleness of other thinner projectiles. On dungeons and act 3 wooden planks esp, when you reach a narrow corner, it was plain annoying.

The spell itself seems to have a large physical space and when you fire arctic breath over the areas I mentioned, it just can't travel through. You have to actually use it in open areas for maximum effect.

Same like Freezing Pulse. Try casting it in front of the doorway, it just can't penetrate through the door.

Just wanted to report the chunkiness.
I've been playing around with this with my witch, and while I really like the spell, and even tried to make a build around it - I simply cannot find its purpose.

It deals a nice bit of AoE damage, it hits 3 times with LMP at point blank(nice for totems), but overall its purpose is lost to me. Why use this over something else? Let's get into more specifics.

Freezing Pulse vs Arctic Breath.

Freezing pulse does roughly the same damage.
Freezing Pulse hits more enemies.
Freezing Pulse doesn't lag.
Freezing Pulse naturally pierces.

Arctic breath can Chain/Fork, Freezing pulse cannot.

I outright cannot find a reason to use Arctic Breath over Freezing Pulse for neither single, nor AoE targets, but let's take a look-see at Ice Spear!

Close range Ice Spear does less damage than Arctic Breath.

Long range Ice Spear does A LOT more damage than Arctic Breath.
Arctic Breath does more AoE damage, but Ice spear can pierce short range - ARctic breath cannot.
Arctic Breath can be the better boss killer, due to all 3 in LMP hitting 1 target, but this is only for totem users.

That's the only real positive I can come up with Arctic Breath. Arctic breath+lmp or Gmp and shotgunning things at point blank with totems. EVEN THERE Freezing Pulse is probably better.

Arctic Breath should do substantially more damage than Freezing Pulse. It should not be completely outclassed by a naturally 100% piercing ability that fills up the entire screen. That simply doesn't make sense. The only advantage that Arctic Breath has, is cheaper mana cost.
Arctic Breath is AoE; you can link it to Concentrated Effect for a multiplicative 50-70% damage bonus.

"Freezing pulse does roughly the same damage."
Note that there's damage drop-off; the listed damage is damage dealt to enemies that are occupying the same physical space as you are. FP is still just The Best Spell (which makes comparisions kind of moot because we already know FP is better), but, you know. The little things.
"
Shaknor wrote:
the spell is rly nice dmg wise + the trais is awesome for kiting but the fps is killin it :(

still lvling 1 in case for future fix ^^

While you're right that the damage is indeed decent, Freezing Pulse beats Arctic Breath hands down. Tried both with LMP (still looking for a GMP) and Cold to Fire, while AB's shotgun burst damage is much higher, FP's cast time is horrible. But I can't deny it; the slow's incredible.

As for testing it in long range, like what Musashi951 mentioned, Ice Spear is simply better. That's what I've come to so far, but now that I saw Vipermagi's post regarding Concentrated Effect...

Sounds delectable. Gonna try it, and might love it.
世界を救いたいのなら、まず一度壊さねばならないんだ。

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info