[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

sorry for asking a probably stupid question. Has anyone lately gotten PlayOnMac to work with steam and poe?

i am somewhat new to mac and have gotten tired of booting the pc just to log in. So please inform me of the unlikely good news. pretty please!
"
goat4dinner wrote:
sorry for asking a probably stupid question. Has anyone lately gotten PlayOnMac to work with steam and poe?

i am somewhat new to mac and have gotten tired of booting the pc just to log in. So please inform me of the unlikely good news. pretty please!

I believe so! There's a guide over here, which has been updated for Ascendancy: pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine
at least u see game window.
in my case, nothing has displayed in my MAC XD
Seems that I choose a bad timing for starting this game on my Mac :D

Tried today for several hours to get it run (PlayForMac, Wine Steam, different Wrappers etc.).

Now after the latest update (and I had just set up now everything as written in the last posts) the installer is stuck at "allocating space".

But I will keep you update if I figure it out (had no problems with tons of other games to get them run on my iMac with wine and tweaked several of them and built some own wrappers...).

Btw: Hi to all and hope to get some great experiences when I get the game running
Don't know if everyone's seen this yet, but apparently the latest update is causing problems beyond the mac users. See Chris' announcement:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595629

It's possible the problem ISN'T our macs, and the promised fix (tomorrow, or the next day) will work with the unofficial mac port. We *may* have to restart with a clean download of port v7, and reload all the patches, but it'll be better than the current update, which (for me at least) does nothing at all (can't even start the game).

So, the solution on out end may just be patience. Perservere, exiles!
Update:

So I managed to get to the loading screen - as I have no clue how long it takes the first time to load I want to write down what I did to get that far anyway:

1. Before starting anything I updated wine and winetricks via terminal

2. I downloaded Julus v7 CX from page 1

3. Than as written in another post I opened the wrapper, went into winetricks and installed first msxml3 dll and afterwards vcrun2015 (vcrun2015 finally worked after updating winetricks)

4. Than I added manually under winecfg tool - libraries - all the missing registry scripts and set the proper native status (see screenshot)

5. Than I refreshed and updated the wrapper

6. I restarted after the update the wrapper and than started a test-run - disc allocation worked as well as the installation of the roughly 7GB data file - though it took ages to finish

7. Now it starts and is at the loading screen
"
agonyorlust wrote:
Update:

So I managed to get to the loading screen - as I have no clue how long it takes the first time to load I want to write down what I did to get that far anyway:

1. Before starting anything I updated wine and winetricks via terminal

2. I downloaded Julus v7 CX from page 1

3. Than as written in another post I opened the wrapper, went into winetricks and installed first msxml3 dll and afterwards vcrun2015 (vcrun2015 finally worked after updating winetricks)

4. Than I added manually under winecfg tool - libraries - all the missing registry scripts and set the proper native status (see screenshot)

5. Than I refreshed and updated the wrapper

6. I restarted after the update the wrapper and than started a test-run - disc allocation worked as well as the installation of the roughly 7GB data file - though it took ages to finish

7. Now it starts and is at the loading screen

Awesome. Yup, those are the steps! If you get any crashes, I would recommend adding api-ms-win-crt-convert to your overrides and setting to native.

Loading on my machine takes 5-10 minutes; if the CPU usage is > 20% in Activity Monitor, it IS working, it just takes a while.
Update: I've played for about three hours tonight with no crashes, in various parts of Act 3 and maps. Framerate has stabilized to about what it was before all this tinkering.

It finally crashed with a malloc error, but eh, memory leaks are a pain to debug.

So at least on my machine, we're up and running. Here's a longer-form list of steps, for those new to Wineskin.

RUN THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I don't know what the full effects are going to be, you could mess up your PoE installation, you should probably be a techie if you're going to try this, yadayada.

1a) Update Wine. If you know how to use your terminal, use that.
1b) If you don't, you can download Wineskin Winery: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads . This is a program that will manage your Wine versions. Open Wineskin Winery and click the "+" icon. Download the most recent available engine. Then, update your wrapper version.

2) Find Path of Exile in your Applications folder. Right-click, and select "Show Package Contents." You should see options called Contents, drive_c, and Wineskin. Open Wineskin; don't touch anything else.

3) In Wineskin, click "Advanced" -> "Tools" -> "Change Engine Used". Select the Wine engine you just installed with Winery.

4) Go back to the Wineskin Advanced menu, and click "Winetricks". Click the "Update Winetricks" button in the bottom left.

4) In the Winetricks window, open the DLLs folder. Find and check "msxml3", and click "Run".

5) If msxml3 runs successfully, find the "vcrun2015" DLL, and run it.

6) Go back to the Wineskin Advanced menu. Click "Config Utility (winecfg)" -> "Libraries". Add agonyorlust's list of registry scripts, . Make sure that they're set to "native" or "native, built-in", as in the screenshot.

In the same screen, add "api-ms-win-crt-convert|1-1-0 (native)".

7) Go back to the WIneskin Advanced menu. Click "Refresh Wrapper", then "Update Wrapper".

8a) Click the "Test Run" button. If PoE loads, you should be okay!

8b) If you get an error about "VC_redist.x86.exe", as the launcher starts, you can try running the DLL "ie6" in Winetricks, and then trying to run PoE again. I am not at all sure why this seems to work or what it's doing, but it's worked for two people so far.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense, or if you get more crazy errors/crashes.
So I followed the steps above and it works now

I installed ie6 in Winetricks, but was still getting the VC_redist.x86.exe error. So on a whim I installed ie7, and then it worked! (???)

At step 6 I couldn't find the following libraries in the Config Utility:
msvcp140 (I had up to msvcp120)
api-ms-win-crt-std (I see one called stdio, not std)
Any Idea why I would be missing only those two?

There is buggy map rendering here and there, and performance is noticeably worse than before (lower fps, more frame time spikes), but it runs (well, "runs" :) )

Notes:
OSX 10.11.3
Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.2
Engine: WS9WineCX15.0.1
I just came here to confirm that agonyorlust's method works for me.
I did it all on a fresh v7 wrapper replacing the content.gsk file, installed msxml3, then vcrun2015, then I added the individual overrides and set them to "native". Finally I updated to the latest wineskin winery wrapper and just let the game download the remaining patches. For me, it doesn't seem to present too much slow downs in game compared to the previous working version (maybe mine was already bad because of the gpu).

Still, memory leak may be an issue on long play times.

I'm on a late 2013 macbook pro retina
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 MB

OSX El Capitan 10.11.3
Last edited by Jimbazz on Mar 3, 2016, 3:07:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info