[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

This is my first post, first of all I want to thank julus for making this game playable on mac.

If you are having problems with fps dropping on Mac Book Pro try installing gfxCardStatus, Im not really sure how it works but really makes the game smoother, now the game is totally playable without anoying fps drps.

Cheers!
I open the game and I get "Failed resetting Direct3D device objects" anyone know how to fix it? :(
Thank you very much, works almost flawlessly on my MBP retina 13" late 2013.

Only had to adjust fullscreen and the resolution because it would crash with the d3d error unless changing it manually in the config.
I can increase the resolution, but after i change the screen (in menus or in game) the game goes outside the window.

Is there a way to prevent that from happening other than playing in an awful low resolution?
Wanted to say thank you very much to Julus for all this dedication :)

I play several games on Parallels (refuse to boot camp windows) and none have had issues until this one. Specifically, those frame rate spikes would last up to 8 seconds (Dominus fight) and make constant deaths frustrating. Downloaded the wrapper and moved the PoE file from Parallels into the wine/PoE app package. Worked like a charm with no issues and saved re-downloading the game. FPS does still slow down a bit in new situations (noted it is an issue with windows also) but it's now playable and doesn't cause the laptop to heat up anymore.

Thanks again!
__DUPE_SRY_DELETE_ADMIN_PLZ_
Last edited by dza on Dec 9, 2013, 8:23:11 PM
I didn't get any of the wrappers working at any point, but I did get vanilla wine-1.6.1 to work with my: Macbook Pro 15", Late 2013 (October).

IMPORTANT: Before running, get gfxCardStatus (http://gfx.io/) and switch to "Discreet only" (NVIDIA)

Tested: Mavericks 10.9, 10.9.1 13B40 (Seed Update 3)

Installation:
$ wine msiexec /i PathOfExileInstaller.msi

Configuration:
1. Read above, switch graphics card (NVIDIA Optimus) to Discreet only in gfxCardStatus

$ winetricks vcrun2010 usp10 riched20 d3dx9_36

3. winecfg - Libraries tab, select the openal/openal32 item from the dropdown and click Add.
(From here on Intel Iris Pro, Integrated works)

4. To get NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M working you need to import the following in the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
“OffscreenRenderingMode=“fbo”

If the folder doesn't exist (usually Direct3D missing) just create it (right-click "New Key").

Alternative way to apply "UseGLSL" fix:
$ winetricks glsl=disabled

Additional handy info:
Parameters for starting Client.exe
--nosound (no sound at all, debug sound problems)
--nopreload (skips the long loading/launcher occassional problem for some users)

Regards,
dza
Last edited by dza on Dec 10, 2013, 5:11:08 PM
"
dza wrote:
I didn't get any of the wrappers working at any point, but I did get vanilla wine-1.6.1 to work with my: Macbook Pro 15", Late 2013 (October).

4. To get NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M working you need to import the following in the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
“OffscreenRenderingMode=“fbo”

If the folder doesn't exist (usually Direct3D missing) just create it (right-click "New Key").

Alternative way to apply "UseGLSL" fix:
$ winetricks glsl=disabled

have you tested this on IRIS? UseGLSL was mandatory, and wouldn't work even on nvidia on Mountain Lion and older.
"
julus wrote:
have you tested this on IRIS? UseGLSL was mandatory, and wouldn't work even on nvidia on Mountain Lion and older.

While playing with it last night I realized it is not possible for me to run it with "Integrated only" aka. Iris Pro.

Definetily this is some vertex shader compilation error I guess (Black background in login-screen and character-screen). D3DERR/Invalid call (you probably know this, and maybe have a mitigation for this).

Indeed this might be an underlying dependency of wine (such as mesa) or another dependency requiring an update. I was unable to run dxdiag.exe, and I am out of ideas for a foolproof D3D test application (there was a demo which is now a dead link in the wine wiki).

I tried now without UseGLSL and it doesn't make much difference for me actually - when the game runs, I can easily turn it back on - no difference whatsoever.

The current major deal-breaker for me is D3D lags every 2-5 secs of active animations (like animation from login to character screen, or by pressing once to walk).

I tested with 1.7.8 from macports today to see if there were a difference/progress being made - not apparently for this time.

Game is "playable", but not optimal, with the current D3D-lags (which I'm pretty certain they are)
Last edited by dza on Dec 10, 2013, 4:55:24 PM
"
dza wrote:
While playing with it last night I realized it is not possible for me to run it with "Integrated only" aka. Iris Pro.

Definetily this is some vertex shader compilation error I guess (Black background in login-screen and character-screen). D3DERR/Invalid call (you probably know this, and maybe have a mitigation for this).

Indeed this might be an underlying dependency of wine (such as mesa) or another dependency requiring an update. I was unable to run dxdiag.exe, and I am out of ideas for a foolproof D3D test application (there was a demo which is now a dead link in the wine wiki).

This is indeed the issue with Intel and AMD cards/drivers as vertex shaders are not supported without GLSL. Older nvidias had also this as well (if I remember correctly), However, disabling GLSL makes lags gone on Linux
"
dza wrote:
I tried now without UseGLSL and it doesn't make much difference for me actually - when the game runs, I can easily turn it back on - no difference whatsoever.

The current major deal-breaker for me is D3D lags every 2-5 secs of active animations (like animation from login to character screen, or by pressing once to walk).

I tested with 1.7.8 from macports today to see if there were a difference/progress being made - not apparently for this time.

Game is "playable", but not optimal, with the current D3D-lags (which I'm pretty certain they are)

If you use --nopreload - you will suffer from more lags. I already knew that it really speed up the loading, but at what cost? Every skill used, and every new enemy met will cause lag as hell (might be better on SSD). Even without --nopreload the game lags, for example when casting summon skeletons, but I observed the same behaviour on weaker Windows PC as well - so this is game fault (bad optimization).

If I look back, while in closed beta, the game run fluid, no lags, long stability (I was able to play 6 hours without any single issue). GGG adds more and more content, and more bugs with it. They really should pause for a month or two and focus on optimalization/bug hunting.
Last edited by julus on Dec 10, 2013, 6:05:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info