some questions about point blank - maybe ggg staff can answer?

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
The_x_ile wrote:
1. if i hit something with chain/fork, is it considered as if i hit them from distance 0 and gain the point blank 50% bonus?
No, it's based on the distance the projectile has travelled from where you fired it. A projectile which pierces, chains or forks is still considered the same projectile, and it's total travel distance is used.

"
The_x_ile wrote:
2. if i firstly hit someone at close distance, and the hit pierce and hit someone far away, will the second hit be considered also as 50% bonus? or will it be calculated from scratch?
No, see above.

There appear to be a lot of misconceptions in this thread. Point Blank is not a bonus to the projectile as a whole, it's a bonus to dealing projectile damage - if a projectile pierces a close thing and then also hits a second thing, it dealt damage twice. Each of those damages is an entirely separate effect, and neither in any way "relies on" or is "based on" the other. The projectile deals damage to thing 1 at a distance of X, and that damage has an appropriate modifier when it's calculated. It later hits thing 2 at distance Y, and that damage also gets an appropriate modifier. Each is an entirely separate calculation with a different distance input.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope I can churn up a reply. I am trying to figure out the interplay between chain and projectile duration. If I am reading this correctly, a chain is just a pierce that changes direction when it hits a target. Is it correct that a projectile that could chain four times would not, even if there are enemies present, may not actually chain that many times because its duration runs out?

As an example, lets say I had a projectile that could travel two screens (unreasonable, sure, but lets go with it) and there are two enemies on the screen, one at the far left and one at the far right. Suppose the projectile can chain twice. I shoot the enemy at the left side of the screen and the skill chains to the enemy at the right side of the screen. Once the projectile has hit the enemy on the right, it has now traveled 1.5 screens (0.5 from me to left, 1.0 from left to right). The projectile chains again, targeting the enemy on the left, but it fizzles in the middle of the screen because it completes its 2.0 screen travel distance. This is how I understand it. Is this correct? Or does the projectile duration reset every time it chains?
"
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
The_x_ile wrote:
1. if i hit something with chain/fork, is it considered as if i hit them from distance 0 and gain the point blank 50% bonus?
No, it's based on the distance the projectile has travelled from where you fired it. A projectile which pierces, chains or forks is still considered the same projectile, and it's total travel distance is used.

"
The_x_ile wrote:
2. if i firstly hit someone at close distance, and the hit pierce and hit someone far away, will the second hit be considered also as 50% bonus? or will it be calculated from scratch?
No, see above.

There appear to be a lot of misconceptions in this thread. Point Blank is not a bonus to the projectile as a whole, it's a bonus to dealing projectile damage - if a projectile pierces a close thing and then also hits a second thing, it dealt damage twice. Each of those damages is an entirely separate effect, and neither in any way "relies on" or is "based on" the other. The projectile deals damage to thing 1 at a distance of X, and that damage has an appropriate modifier when it's calculated. It later hits thing 2 at distance Y, and that damage also gets an appropriate modifier. Each is an entirely separate calculation with a different distance input.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope I can churn up a reply. I am trying to figure out the interplay between chain and projectile duration. If I am reading this correctly, a chain is just a pierce that changes direction when it hits a target. Is it correct that a projectile that could chain four times would not, even if there are enemies present, may not actually chain that many times because its duration runs out?

As an example, lets say I had a projectile that could travel two screens (unreasonable, sure, but lets go with it) and there are two enemies on the screen, one at the far left and one at the far right. Suppose the projectile can chain twice. I shoot the enemy at the left side of the screen and the skill chains to the enemy at the right side of the screen. Once the projectile has hit the enemy on the right, it has now traveled 1.5 screens (0.5 from me to left, 1.0 from left to right). The projectile chains again, targeting the enemy on the left, but it fizzles in the middle of the screen because it completes its 2.0 screen travel distance. This is how I understand it. Is this correct? Or does the projectile duration reset every time it chains?

I think youre mixing things up here. The max travel distance of 2 screens is a straight line from its origin. If you in theory would have an infinite duration spark it would also travel infinetly if youre inside a completly closed room. I dont know how it exactly works with spark, but atleast with Ethereal Knives (EK has a fixed travel time of 0.25 seconds) I made the observation that EK actually continues until it used up all its chains even traveling longer than the normally fixed 0.25 seconds. Also youre example is only theoretically, but chain has a limited target range, so I dont think it would actually target an enemy a whole screen wide away.
guys if i have point blank and chain do i get 50% more projectile damage everytime the projectile chains or point blank distance is calculated from me or from where the projectile chained?
"
dvasan wrote:
guys if i have point blank and chain do i get 50% more projectile damage everytime the projectile chains or point blank distance is calculated from me or from where the projectile chained?

The projectile distance is calculated from wherever it originated from, which is often you, but can also be a trap, a totem and whatever the projectile originates from. Chain does not reset the distance. It's also worth noted that point blank is based on distance traveled, not on distance from its origin point. If you fire at an enemy far away from you and then it chains to an enemy standing right up on your face, you will not get a damage bonus against the second enemy because it is close to you, you will actually get a penalty because the projectile has traveled a long distance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info