Officially Supported Linux Client

I also vote for a native linux client. At the moment I use a second desktop to play the game.
With a native client I could it use on my primary PC. I would also spend money (kickstart) for porting.
I'm not a Linux user yet, but I am seriously mulling over the idea. As such, I'd love to see an official Linux client.
+1

This game is well done and a lot of fun.
Would love to see it run on natively on Linux.

For now it runs ok (suboptimal fps though) via wine (I gave up on dual booting years ago - if I can't run it somehow on Linux I ignore it).

Infos for others who consider running it through wine:
NVidia GTX 660m 2GB

Game runs ok. Occasional annoying lag in big boss fights - but didn't keep me from getting my char to Act 3.

I have to delete the config file before every start and put in my settings (windowed fullscreen at full resolution) again every start - otherwise the game crashes at start after the first time.

Funny thing is that I found the workaround (delete config file) from Windows users who had the same problem. Wine is now sometimes too compatible with Windows. ;-)

Here's what I do with the graphics settings at every start:
* vsync off
* Resolution 1920x1200
* Fullscreen
[Apply] (I have to click apply here before the next step - otherwise crash)

Now the resolution is correct and fullscreen - but the x coordinate is off by a couple dozen pixels (height of title bar or some such).
* Windowed Fullscreen
[Apply] (this leads to a directx error message - ignore it - OK)
done - everything now works fine (until next session - rinse repeat)

The going to fullscreen first - before windowed fullscreen - is a necessary part of the ritual. ;-)

The directx error message that I get from going to windowed fullscreen is the same I get when I start without deleting the config file - but then I can't do anything about it - you never get to the settings.
When I looked for a solution (expecting tips from winehq.org) I got lots of results from Windows users who had the same error message and have to delete the config file as a workaround.

YMMV
Last edited by Oerthling on Dec 1, 2013, 9:35:07 AM

A Linux client would make my life so much easier... I would finally be able to stop dual-booting :P

delete
Last edited by sunderkeenin on Jul 8, 2018, 11:30:41 AM
i love this idea.

Yesterday my computer has crash.

Now it s turn on Linux Mint.

I can t connect with my steam account on Poe.

I m so sad.

I have phenom II 5*core 3.5GHZ amd CPU + GTX460 GPU.

Performance on WINE seems to be sufficient for doing a race, since it's not that big of a stress due to lack of abilities used. But it's still more then half of performance i get under Windows 7. Even under win7 i have huge fps drops when playing my main character. So, sadly, playing under WINE isn't anywhere near viable.

Seems like Linux gaming trend is really gaining momentum with all the major games that become available natively, and Steam making a pretty big bet on Linux gaming. I would absolutely love to see GGG catching the wave. Claim that "Linux aRPG game of choise" spot while it's still available.

+1 to suggestion of starting Linux port kickstarter campaing.

Future of PC gaming is named "multiplatform".

As time goes on, more and more games are released completely multiplatform. Windows, MacOS and GNU/Linux, natively.

Please, GGG, at least think about it. With all things going on, like SteamOS, better NVIDIA and AMD drivers, this game deserves it!!

Thanks!
The Lord's Labyrinth awaits you.
Choose wisely, strike quickly.
Thrust completely.
And may you find the ending that you deserve.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info