Officially Supported Linux Client

34_
Copus
37 (Gentoo)

Actually, I am ashamed to admit this, but I haven't played Path of Exile since I got Steam (native) on Linux.

Also, the reason I am not using Wine in Linux, is because of my lesser hardware. If I had faster hardware, I wouldn't get lag.

Also, looking at Valves Source engine running OpenGL, and the increased performance, it's worth considering (OpenGL works on Windows too).

I don't think Direct X is directly supported in Linux? Wouldn't that mean to port POE to be native, they'd need to rewrite all their graphics code for OpenGL? Wouldn't that be ridiculously expensive and require extensive debugging?
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
38 Ubuntu, works ok with PlayOnLinux
"
anubite wrote:
I don't think Direct X is directly supported in Linux? Wouldn't that mean to port POE to be native, they'd need to rewrite all their graphics code for OpenGL? Wouldn't that be ridiculously expensive and require extensive debugging?

It isn't. You have to use something like Wine for DirectX support, otherwise OpenGL is it's default support.

Really wish Linux got more recognition in the gaming world, it's the reason I haven't switched my main home PC to a Linux Distro. I get my fill of RHEL and SUSE at work though, lucky me.
Luckily because of Valve, crowdfunding websites, the Humble Indie Bundle, and Windows 8, numerous companies are jumping on-board the Linux gaming bandwagon.

Recently it's been stated by a few game developers who specialize in porting that it isn't difficult at all to port an entire game to OpenGL with just one person. However, Path of Exile uses its own graphics engine, so its case might be much different.

I'm pretty sure that Linux' audio stack is also still a major problem in porting games specifically to it, and in some cases the only thing holding them back.

I think it'd be most practical for the team to just optimize the game for Wine. At the moment it is my main way of playing the game, and it really isn't bad. The recent graphics glitches patch helped tremendously; the game rarely ever crashes now.
same name in-game
39. tried to play on ubuntu. didn't work well enough as on win. And with shitty comp every detail counts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info