[HC][SC] [1.0.0] KayeOsse's CI CRIT Ranger Guide (ROA,LA) 7k+ ES, 23k ROA, 79k Frenzy Ranger

---Updated for 1.0.0 patch---

Things you need to realize before using the build:
This guide applies ES/CI to the mechanics of using a bow. This is the first CI build that's viable in HC/SC, anyone else claiming to being first is wrong. I've had 2 individuals test on SC me included and 2 others in HC. The starting class for this build is at ranger. The bow's used can be a regular Thicket Bow or Lioneyes Bow. I will be showing different paths using different gems and bows. Items that will be covered is Rain of Arrows, Lightning Arrow and Frenzy.
I will be as in-depth with the guide as possible to aid in any questions you may have.

Benefits:
Immune to Chaos Damage
Balance between Survive-ability and Critical Dmg
High DPS
High ES
High ES Regeneration
Various options to choose from build.
Different main skills to choose from ROA//LA
Alot of High Tier Mirrorable Items in the market to choose from
Hard-core and Soft-core Viable

Cons:
Physical Reflect
Half & No Regen Mods
Slight Decrease in Resistance (Can be Covered via gear or someone running Purity)
No Life Flask usage
Susceptible to Frozen & *Stun (Countered by Flask) (*Stun - Depends on which build Version)
Costly due to ES Gear being very popular

KayeOss'es Gear:
Spoiler

Theory behind the build and Credits:
Spoiler
I tried to theory craft a CI Crit build awhile ago but it didn't work since points were spread to thin. After the Recent patch and rework to Rangers. I decided to give it another go. I was able to spread out everything I needed without hindering anything. Showed a buddy of mine the build. He was able to help me weed out some bad spots. He initially tried the build on a lvl 79 character and confirmed everything. It looked good via stats but I didn't want to test it without practical usage. I tried the build for myself since I'm 94 and saw an incremental boost compared to the lvl79 version. Have to thank "oU_Uo" for helping me in fixing the edges around this build .It's definitely a different style going from Roa EV Ranger that relied on hp flasks to Ci and not using hp flasks at all. Hope you guys enjoy.

--------------------------------------

Early Game Leveling and Mechanics:
At this early stage if your new to the game you will begin learning your class and the World Of WraeClast. I highly suggest playing through normal difficulty at your pace and understanding your ranger mechanics. Look into the Passive Tree and read what skills and nodes do for you and how they apply to skill sets during your leveling experience.

Skills of choice for early game are Split Arrow, Poison Arrow with Fire Trap/Bear Trap.
Split Arrow is very useful since it cover's more of an area to do damage to monsters. Poison Arrow is beneficial since it does damage and poison damage over time. Fire Trap is invaluable to early leveling.

Acronyms:
ROA = Rain Of Arrows
LA = Lighting Arrow

Mapping:
Spoiler
I recommend not entering maps until you are level 74+. Due to a previous patch certain areas had there level range increased. With this you can still gain great exp in Docks/Barracks/Lunaris Temple. Only do Maps when you feel comfortable and or if you got a buddy that can aid you.

Mapping Mods that are hurtful to the build:
Spoiler
Physical Reflect
Half Regen Mod
No Regen Mod

Physical Reflect on Map Mods or Monsters are your worst Enemy. Due to the the build being Crit you can easily die to a pack. Avoid using your SA/LA and/or ROA when fighting against monsters. Snipe the monster with Frenzy. This will also hurt but you can kill the monster very easily while taking lesser damage in comparison to the alternative.

I recommend staying away from Physical Reflect via Map Mods. It hurts and it's not worth it.
-edit- Vaal Pact can mitigate some phys ref. You will hurt in double ref maps (Map mod + monster mod)

Energy Shield & Chaos Inoculation:
Spoiler
The Build focuses on achieving CI and grabbing Es Nodes and ES gear.
Energy Shield is the same as HP in this build. Energy Shield is your life force. If it hits 0 you are going to die. ES gear is imperative to increase your survive-ability. Your bulk of ES is going to come from your Helmet, Chest Plate and Boots.

Highest Tier of White Gear to look out for:
Spoiler
Hubris Helmet ilvl79
Val Regalia ilvl79
Onyx Amulet ilvl79
Prismatic Ring ilvl79

Lighting Arrow or Rain of Arrow:
Spoiler
This is personal preference. With the Lightning Arrow build you can achieve incredible DPS while having the same ES as if you were Rain of Arrow. The reason I play Rain of Arrow is the build is highly susceptible to Physical Reflect. With Rain of Arrows I can strategically attack with my skill at any area. This decreases the possibility of dying by a random occurrence.

Why not use Shavronne's Wrapping Occultist's Vestment:
Spoiler
This is also personal preference. You may use Shavronne's and unpick CI via the passive tree.
This will free up a point and that point can be placed in various spots to either Increase ES,DPS, or Resistances. Another benefit to choosing Shavronne's is you may now load more Aura's then previously I Choose Val Regalia's due to the higher ES rolls that can occur. To me this is invaluable since ES = Life in this build. The choice is yours.

Stats needed:
Spoiler
In this build you can wear mostly everything required. The only downside since were ES based and branching over to different areas in the tree is we need Str and Dex to meet the Requirements of Bows.
Regardless if it's a Thicket or Lioneyes you will need:
108 Strength
212 Dexterity

To meet the requirements an Onyx Amulet is needed. You may also use Rings/Belts to achieve this but this requires a mixture. Onyx amulets can roll a 16 to all Attribute as base (20 if you have Legacy Onyx) and then can get all attribute again on your suffix roll . This should satisfy the Reqs needed. This is needed to meet req for some of the Aura's used How you do it is your choice.

An Example of a Onyx Amulet:

What Uniques do I get:
Spoiler
There are 4 possible uniques to choose from. You may either get these or Craft some of the BEST in slot gear. Some individuals already have made these and are up for Mirror.

Mandatory Uniques:

These two are needed try to get them to as perfect as possible.
With RainbowStrides try to get 200% in the ES mod and 100 to mana mod.
With Maligaro's try to get as close to 50% Crit Chance mod.
With ThunderFist try to attain a legacy one with 1-100. If not the new 1's are fine

What Thicket Bow do I go for?
Spoiler
Any Thicket bow can be suited for the build but you really want it to get Double phys roll with IAS roll and Crit Chance Roll. This bow was used:

This bow has higher DPS then a Perfect Lioneyes and the Lighting Dmg Ele Mod synergizes with Arc Blows. Try to get close to this bow or better!

Lioneyes vs Thicket bow:
Spoiler
In this build we have the option of these 2 bows.

A thicket bow doesn't allow us the same mod as Lioneyes that gives us "Hit's can't be evaded.
The great thing is since we start this build at Ranger, we attain high Dexterity. Once reached your hits by chance should be around 85-87. This is more then efficient hence why additional accuracy gems have been removed.

Lioneyes has the great mod of not evading hits but a the #1 Thicket Bow on the server is insane. THis will come to preference. Either is great!

Both options are strong and both can be mixed matched with the skill gems. Lioneyes can use LA and ROA. Thicket can use LA and ROA.

Auras:
Spoiler
Normal Auras to use are:
Grace, Wrath

With patch 1.0.0 we have Auras with % cost and even higher then what was before. Anger and other dps were removed due to them being high % aswell. In the build we have taken 3 nodes mear Arcane Efficieny. This is to dampen the cost of auras. With the use of Reduced mana aswell, we are hit less then what the normal cost is. Wrath is used to synergize with Arcing Blows nod and anything you get with Flat lightning elemental since it has the highest rolling bracket. Discipline vs Grace. More Es is great but having damage mitigation is even better. Grace is used to we can have that. You can use ES but think of it this way. You can use either 1 so this is up for preference but Grace is the more optimal.

Deal With the Bandits (What to Choose):
Spoiler
Normal Difficulty: +40 base Mana or 1 Passive Point(Recommended)

Cruel Difficulty: 1 Passive Point(Recommended)

Merciless Difficulty: 1 Max Frenzy Charge(Recommended) or 1 Max Power Charge or 1 Endurance Charge

Preferred Rolls on Gear:
Spoiler
# Intelligence
% Increased Energy Shield
# To Maximum Energy Shield
% To to All Elemental Resistance
% Fire Resistance
% Cold Resistance
% Lighting Resistance
# To Max mana
# Flat Lighting Damage
% Weapon Elemental Damage
# To all Attribute
IGN: KayeOsse, Ryuukossei
Shop: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/390077
KayeOsse's Ci Crit Ranger Build: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/471594
www.Twitch.tv/Fall3nLeg3nd
Last edited by Fall3nLEg3nds on Oct 27, 2013, 6:28:35 AM
--------

Gems needed & How to link:
Since both your Bow and Chest are going to be 6L you can use either 1 for any of the combo's.
If you get the combo on one then work on the other.
Tip: A Bow has an easier time rolling Green/Red Sockets.

Rain Of Arrows (Lioneyes Bow/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler

Lightning Arrow (Lioneyes Bow/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler

You can choose your last 6th gem as any of these:

6L Chest (Vall Regalia or Shavronnes) for Frenzy
Spoiler

You can Remove 1 of these gems and use Life Leech to help sustain mana for single target

4L Gloves - ThunderFist, Maligaro's, Crafted ES Gloves
Spoiler

4L Helmet - Hubris Circlet
Spoiler

4L Boots - Legacy/New Shav Boots or Crafted Es boots
Spoiler

Make Sure to to keep Cast on Damage Taken gem at lvl 1 so it can trigger faster.
There are 2 slots left open only because anything attached to dmg take trig gem, cannot be used as a normal skill. You can add Molten Shell and others.

Flasks:
Spoiler

*Try to get "Recharges 1 Charge when you deal a Critical Strike". It's a very nice mod that complements the amount of crits you do.

*Dispels and Frozen and Chilled is needed due to this build being highly susceptible to freeze. I got this mod on 1 Mana Pot and Topaz

*Dispel Bleeding is able to counter puncture if you ever come across it. Also set to my Mana pot

*For QuickSilver just get the regular increase movement speed mod with recharge 1 crit mod.

*Topaz Flask is being used to counter any lighting damage done to you. Great for Piety runs.also has dispel frozen for extra coverage.

LifeLeech + Ghost Reaver:
Spoiler
As with the cookie cutter build of all Ranger builds. Your using Life gain on hit or Life Leech. Since we are Es based Ghost Reaver is imperative to get to keep Es up just as our Hp variant did.

Single Target (Frenzy):
Spoiler
Even though ROA/LA is our main skill. Some attention needs to be given to frenzy in this build. Frenzy is your single target boss or physical reflect monster melter. Frenzy with my current build and gear has the ability to hit 70k+ and that's not including the crit strikes. Frenzy is a wonderful skill and must be used in certain situations to keep you alive or help the group

Blood Rage + Increased Duration:
Spoiler
A very Strong combination and fits CI users very well. Since the negative aspect of Blood Rage is receiving Chaos damage over time to max life. This is negated with CI since Chaos Damage cannot hurt us. With the addition of Increased Duration we effectively make Blood Rage our Frenzy Charge gatherer. With every kill you gain a frenzy charge until max charges. Frenzy charges last only so often then you may need to use Frenzy again to gain the charges back. With Blood Rage and Increased Duration I effectively have a 23 second window atm (Blood Rage and Increased Dura are not maxed level yet) to kill something and regain my charges fast. This enables us to have blood rage on constantly within a map or run as long as your killing something.

Enduring Cry & Decoy Totem:
Spoiler
Enduring Cry is used to mitigate some damage in-case you find your self in a tough spot of tanking at random points of play. Overall you should barely use this gem unless needed. Plus its nice to have all 3 charges by your side, Power Charge, Frenzy Charge and Endurance Charge :)

Decoy Totem is used to pull those pesky monsters/rares/bosses away from you so you can melt them from a distance.

----------

Leveling Builds:
HEre is a guideline nothing is set in stone. Please follow this or alter if you wish. This is only to help you with leveling from 1-60. If you want to do changes or follow it you can. Please be advised if doing this route, you will need regrets to re-spec into the main build. Hp is more efficient early in the game so you can have more survive-ability. Once you feel good/safe or have good gear lined up then follow the End game variants

Leveling 1-20
Spoiler

Leveling 20-40
Spoiler

Leveling 40-60
Spoiler

End Game Builds:
Here you are going to see Endgame Variants of ROA or LA Builds. No way are these set in stone. If you prefer something over what I have chosen, definitely change it for your preference.

Rain Of Arrows - w/ Unwavering Stance (Lioneyes/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler

Rain Of Arrows - w/o Unwavering Stance (Lioneyes/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler

Lightning Arrow - w/ Unwavering Stance (Lioneyes/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler

Lightning Arrow - w/o Unwavering Stance (Lioneyes/Thicket/Custom)
Spoiler
Last edited by Fall3nLEg3nds on Oct 27, 2013, 2:42:06 AM

Intown with nothing Loaded
Life: 1
Energy Shield: 6237
Mana:888
ROA: 8902.8
Frenzy: 16349.9

----

Due to Screenshots being too big. Going to put the rest of the screenshots via links. If you wish to see the ES, DPS, and build just click them below.

------------------Showing DPS In Town for ROA/Frenzy:------------------
Energy Shield & Rain of Arrows DPS/ToolTip

Energy Shield & Frenzy DPS/ToolTip

---------------Showing DPs/ES with Auras loaded:------------------
Energy Shield & Rain of Arrows DPS/ToolTip w/ Auras

Energy Shield & Frenzy DPS/ToolTip w/ Auras

-----Showing DPS and Energy Shield with Full Charges (Power Charges & Frenzy):-----
Energy Shield & Rain Of Arrows DPS/ToolTip w/ Auras w/Full Charges

Energy Shield & Frenzy DPS/ToolTip w/ Auras w/Full Charges
Last edited by Fall3nLEg3nds on Jul 20, 2013, 1:20:29 PM
Sorry but.. where is the build link?
Adding more content should be done in 30 minutes or so. Will do a final post saying its finished.
Last edited by Fall3nLEg3nds on Jul 20, 2013, 1:00:38 PM
Build is done. Just checking if anything needs to be fixed or added. Any other Questions I will gladly answer in the thread. Hope you guys enjoy.
^
Awesome guide and build for those who can afford the gear.
Wonder why the best new passive added to ranger gets ignored :P . That is 30% avoid being stunned, which should bring the stun avoidance up to 80%. That gives you 2.5 times more chance to avoid stun than your current build :)

Secondly. Do you have to spam mana pots while shooting, since the mana leech is like 12.5% of max mana per second (2/3 of the needs).

This builds looks like it gets oneshotted by crit reflect, and that is with the extremely expensive gear. Why not go for vaals pact? Exctremely high chance of getting shocked since CI makes it even more dangerous. Not having dispel shock pots also makes it very dangerous.

With the choise of expanding the mana pool, why not go for less ES and more armor? You should be able to run both determ and grace, by using alphas howl. The inc. mana pool should also increase the mana leech to use less mana pots.

One thing to note is that shavs would make you go low life, which would bring huge dmg increase from blood rage.

So what I would do instead of going on adventure on the left side of the skill tree is to get vaals pact, iron reflexes and the 2 inc. mana nodes close to ironreflexes. Also as mentioned I would get the avoid being stunned nodes :).

Now if the mana pots wouldn't be needed anymore they could be replaced with something like diamond flasks.

Those are my thoughts ;)

As the build is now, I see it like a supporter.

The layout of the build is very nice looking and easy to find in. These kind of ranger builds has the potential of getting extremely good, so keed up the creative thinking :) Nice to see more and more people going ranger crit.
IGN :ChrispieD, FreeZedByPulse, StruckByTunder
A lot of my CI people I see go Vaal Pact. Whats the difference between using Vaal Pact and not using it? Is there huge pros and cons?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info