(Aug 19 NZT) Hardcore No-Party Ladder Race

"
Septile wrote:
What actually slowed them down

We didn't slow down, I believe it was our 2nd fastest race.
IGN @dime
I am still amazed that anyone tries to make an argument that grouping doesn't offer a massive advantage over solo play.

I understand that Player A playing solo might beat Player B who is in a group.

But I do NOT think that Player A playing solo can do better than Player A playing in a good group.

The best players will still be the best players but I don't think they will have any chance of getting higher scores than they did while playing in groups.

Essentially the top scores will all be lower.

Not once have I seen any coherent argument that has even remotely been convincing that solo play is equal to group play.

When the top players refuse to group then I will believe it.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Great news, this will make race more fair, no boosting/trading and such.
Quest sharing and loot sharing is biggest advantage by far. Experience is mostly balanced.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
I think I'll join in this time. Will roll a Shadow as I haven't played one before. Might die within the first 30 minutes though, as I tend to die a lot :D
"
Guurt wrote:
I am still amazed that anyone tries to make an argument that grouping doesn't offer a massive advantage over solo play.

I understand that Player A playing solo might beat Player B who is in a group.

But I do NOT think that Player A playing solo can do better than Player A playing in a good group.

The best players will still be the best players but I don't think they will have any chance of getting higher scores than they did while playing in groups.

Essentially the top scores will all be lower.

Not once have I seen any coherent argument that has even remotely been convincing that solo play is equal to group play.

When the top players refuse to group then I will believe it.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how this turns out.

This has been posted hundreds of times over. No one is really arguing with this point.

However, why shouldn't party have an advantage? It is much more complex than solo. This is what the whiners don't seem to understand.

I think it is much easier to have a good solo run than it is having a good party run.

How many other parties are in top 10? Why has 1 party consistently out-ranked all other parties by as much as 3 levels? Good party dynamic should be awarded.

"
zriL wrote:
Quest sharing and loot sharing is biggest advantage by far. Experience is mostly balanced.

I think the quest sharing advantage is overstated. If perfectly engineered, I would estimate the party advantage between 15-20 minutes (ignoring all coordination disadvantages). One good weapon drop for a solo player can more or less negate that anyway.

A 2 or 3 player party has the same advantage as a 5 or 6 player party in this regard.

It really only takes a couple minutes to run through a zone, think about it. The only case where this does not hold up is Weaver's chamber, where it is impossible to skip all the monsters.
IGN @dime
Last edited by dime on Aug 15, 2012, 2:45:00 PM
"
dime wrote:
However, why shouldn't party have an advantage? It is much more complex than solo. This is what the whiners don't seem to understand.

I think calling people "whiners" isn't very fair. I understand you don't want to play solo. That is fine. But calling anyone that says that solo play isn't balanced against group play in a 3 hour race a "whiner" is just pointless and petty.

I haven't seen anyone saying that you aren't a good player, or that you don't deserve your countless victories because you were in a group.

I don't think anyone is calling for an end to all group play. All I have seen is people pointing out that it isn't balanced and it would be nice to have some variety in race rules.

Personally, I never said that group play shouldn't have an advantage.

I have simply been pointing out that there is a massive advantage, and there really isn't any point (other than fun) for players that don't have good groups to participate in these races as they have no real chance of winning.

I mean sure if someone in the top group makes a mistakes and dies then the solo players have a chance, but winning because your competition made a mistake isn't really very satisfying.

And sure, solo players could get groups.

But in order to have effective group play I need to find people to play with, practice with them, and have a microphone.

When I am playing solo and the top players are all grouped then I am effectively competing with all of the best players regardless of which class they took.

With all solo I only have to compete with the top players that have chosen my class.

I get that life isn't fair, and realistically I will never win. I am fine with that. I am not asking for the game to be fair so that I can win.

But I have seen countless people say that group play is balanced with solo play and I think that is ridiculous and isn't backed up by facts.

Pointing that out doesn't make me or anyone else a "whiner."
"
Guurt wrote:
there really isn't any point (other than fun) for players that don't have good groups to participate in these races as they have no real chance of winning.

This is trite and untrue.

I'm really glad there is a solo race, so hopefully some day this this discussion can finally die, as it does not serve much purpose in the event threads.
IGN @dime
A well oiled party should do 30% faster by default, due to the exp bonus. That's almost an hour in a 3 hour race.

There are plenty of negatives that will hinder that 30%, such as travel time being magnified as mobs fall quicker. But there's also plenty of positives, like good gear isn't thrown away just because it is off-class (like you'll do often in solo play).

Sure a nice drop for someone soloing negates the loot advantage in a party, but the 30% bonus to exp is still there.

The bottom line is a party of 2+ people that know what they're doing should have no problem besting someone soloing.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Aug 16, 2012, 12:05:32 AM
"
Guurt wrote:

I think calling people "whiners" isn't very fair. I understand you don't want to play solo. That is fine. But calling anyone that says that solo play isn't balanced against group play in a 3 hour race a "whiner" is just pointless and petty.

I haven't seen anyone saying that you aren't a good player, or that you don't deserve your countless victories because you were in a group.

I don't think anyone is calling for an end to all group play. All I have seen is people pointing out that it isn't balanced and it would be nice to have some variety in race rules.

Personally, I never said that group play shouldn't have an advantage.

I have simply been pointing out that there is a massive advantage, and there really isn't any point (other than fun) for players that don't have good groups to participate in these races as they have no real chance of winning.

I mean sure if someone in the top group makes a mistakes and dies then the solo players have a chance, but winning because your competition made a mistake isn't really very satisfying.

And sure, solo players could get groups.

But in order to have effective group play I need to find people to play with, practice with them, and have a microphone.

When I am playing solo and the top players are all grouped then I am effectively competing with all of the best players regardless of which class they took.

With all solo I only have to compete with the top players that have chosen my class.

I get that life isn't fair, and realistically I will never win. I am fine with that. I am not asking for the game to be fair so that I can win.

But I have seen countless people say that group play is balanced with solo play and I think that is ridiculous and isn't backed up by facts.

Pointing that out doesn't make me or anyone else a "whiner."

+1 for the "little guy", it's just like big business and monopolies, no welcome room for small biz. Funny how the people at the top can't/don't want to admit this. I get it they're at least good at speed runs, but to purposely hand select from the creme of the crop purely to assemble an elitist monopoly carry-group(one of each class) in order to nearly cement their lead(unless they die by some fluke/amateur mistake) of the market is just bullshit for those of us who would have had a chance to win otherwise. Metro has even admitted he does better in races with groups and solo dies more. And did you see Kripp playing that shadow, jesus christ I think any other build/playstyle besides his would work good enough for one of us "little" guys to beat him 3 hour solo race. Point proven.
Last edited by ukepower on Aug 15, 2012, 4:38:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info