[1.2.0] Ice Pierce Crit Ranger

"
Asidra wrote:
Last patch - all leagues.

Crit Pierce Ice Shooters are already critting (thus freezing) 50% to 60%. So we're talking an additional 10% of the 45% non crits - 4.5% freeze chance added on top of the 55%. Meh.

However I am speaking from an end game perspective. This quiver can be equipped at level 4, in which case I would agree with you completely - that's some nice CC. And even the chill - 20% conversion means more ice damage which means longer chill in addition to the duration given on the quiver.

So - do we wanna peg this as an awesome Ice Shot leveling Quiver?

I was always under the impression that the "chance to freeze" is on a per target bassis. If my initial impression is true, then that means every monster hit while using this quiver has a chance to be frozen of 10%. If even one gets frozen with ele prolif, then the entire group should freeze. so with a group of ten monsters, each one has a chance to freeze of 10%; with prolif you have a chance to freeze an entire group that is equal to 1-(.9^(number of monsters)) in this case. 10 monsters the chance is essentially at 65% if each one is hit by cold damage, at 20 monsters hit with cold damage it becomes 90% (although i think its kinda hard to even hit 20 monsters in one shot, unless your using pierce). Now if you combine that with a lvl 16 frostbite and assume this is additive to the initial chance to freeze given this quiver. the new calculation is 1-(.77^(number of monsters hit with cold damage). However, the new calculation assumes that ever monster hit with cold damage is also cursed (but u get what i'm getting at). at this point for 10 monsters u get a 92% chance to freeze the entire group. And this chance to freeze is independant of ur chance to crit (but you get the idea).

I think its different from critical strikes, where an entire attack (including its aoe and individual subsequent attack animations from that one attack) will crit and all cause an ailment. I could be rong about this however, if the chance to freeze affects an entire attack like crit does. However, if this were the case why would ggg give us prolif? doesn't make sense. And another thing thats cool is that chance to freeze is independent of the monsters health.
IGN: Omjak
"THIS WORLD... IS AN ILLUSION EXILE".
Last edited by Omjak_777 on May 5, 2014, 9:13:48 PM
woops duplicate post
Last edited by Omjak_777 on May 5, 2014, 9:13:36 PM
In terms of the mechanics - I believe you are correct. Just from playing phys crit split arrow, I freeze mobs all the time just from Hatred's Ice. It's never like an intermittent mob or every other in the pack, it's freeze all the ones hit or none.

But I crit at 55%. And a crit is 100% chance to freeze. So I already only need 2 shots to make it statistically likely everything hit is frozen (rather pointless though because by 2 shots everything is dead) - and I can put an elemental proliferation in there if I want, but it's range is not much more than the "chains."

So in essence - what I would be doing is giving up my quiver (hp/res, damage, crit chance, crit multi, weapon elemental damage) and an additional gem slot (to add in elementtal proliferation) so that the I have a chance to freeze mobs on the 45% chance that I didn't freeze them anyway. Well - I say I but I am not playing an Ice Shot build - so by "I" I mean someone in that situation.

Mob HP doesn't effect chance to freeze ever (except in like a boss situation where the ice damage might not be the needed minimum % of it's HP) - it's the freeze duration it effects.

And I don't think the threshold is high at all. I was running a lightning arrow elemental proliferation totem - and it froze white mobs in 75-78 maps for multiple seconds just from the 40% Hatred from 50% of Lightning Arrow's damage being physical being cut by half cause it's from a totem...

My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on May 5, 2014, 9:48:55 PM
"
Asidra wrote:
In terms of the mechanics - I believe you are correct. Just from playing phys crit split arrow, I freeze mobs all the time just from Hatred's Ice. It's never like an intermittent mob or every other in the pack, it's freeze all the ones hit or none.

But I crit at 55%. And a crit is 100% chance to freeze. So I already only need 2 shots to make it statistically likely everything hit is frozen (rather pointless though because by 2 shots everything is dead) - and I can put an elemental proliferation in there if I want, but it's range is not much more than the "chains."

So in essence - what I would be doing is giving up my quiver (hp/res, damage, crit chance, crit multi, weapon elemental damage) and an additional gem slot (to add in elementtal proliferation) so that the I have a chance to freeze mobs on the 45% chance that I didn't freeze them anyway. Well - I say I but I am not playing an Ice Shot build - so by "I" I mean someone in that situation.

Mob HP doesn't effect chance to freeze ever (except in like a boss situation where the ice damage might not be the needed minimum % of it's HP) - it's the freeze duration it effects.

And I don't think the threshold is high at all. I was running a lightning arrow elemental proliferation totem - and it froze white mobs in 75-78 maps for multiple seconds just from the 40% Hatred from 50% of Lightning Arrow's damage being physical being cut by half cause it's from a totem...

i've seen ur gear asidra, ya its a downgrade for you xD.
LOL...um ok leave my gear out of this that's not the point!

Conceptually - I am just stating that I don't even think this quiver is any good for an end game Ice Shot Ranger, but it is good for leveling as it takes a while to get crit high enough where you are reliably freezing without the quiver.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
"
Asidra wrote:
LOL...um ok leave my gear out of this that's not the point!

Conceptually - I am just stating that I don't even think this quiver is any good for an end game Ice Shot Ranger, but it is good for leveling as it takes a while to get crit high enough where you are reliably freezing without the quiver.

maybe your right. I quit this game before getting to the "true" endgame so i wouldn't really know xD. If someone was focusing on Freeze mechanics using this quiver, i could see it working up to a point.
Come back - it's fun.

"
Asidra wrote:
Come back - it's fun.

Eh, maybe a bit during the summer.

I put in like 30 minutes a week and put in everything i find into this bow.

i'd say i'm like 30-35+ exalts into it, and nothing to show for it. SO i'm completely broke atm, unless i want to sell my legacy Astramentis (which i don't lol)
Last edited by Omjak_777 on May 6, 2014, 12:26:30 AM
Dude, you should spend those 30 minutes exploding maps with us. You'll make a ton of alts. (I'm assuming you're trying to 5-6 link your bow?)

Also, I swear RNGesus must be seeded on a time stamp.

I have no proof other than anecdotal luck streaks, but I've poured hundreds of fusings into one item and gotten nothing, and then at another time, I'll get several 5-links in 2 stacks of orbs.

All I can say is if you don't get it in a stack, stop and come back to it later. And if anyone in your guild is having a good luck streak, hand them your Bow immediately!

Also, putting the stack of fuses in the upper left corner of your backpack and the item immediately to the right of that seems to help. It may be stupid/coincidence/confirmation bias, but try it anyway. XD
can someone post an endgame passive tree and a quick gearing / skill-combo guide?

seems a bit outdated but interesting!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info