Mr Freeze 2h Melee Splash Glacial Hammer 6 Aura 7 Endurance 8% ManaLeech 9k DPS [+VID]

Hi,

The problem with "man-mode" in PoE is, that you will receive more damage than ranged. How to counter it? Chill & Freeze & Kill em! Melee splash with increased range nodes has a good enough range to be perfectly usable with Glacial Hammer. Freeze & Chill everything around you! (freechill!)

What makes Glacial Hammer so imba?
- Chill slows enemys movement/attack/castspeed by 30%
- Frozen enemys shatter when they are below 33% HP (unlike culling strike with only 10%, lol)
-- but we still receive the "shatter-damage" as life from lifeleech anyway!
- Physical and Elemental Reflect are both not that much of a problem, as we do both
- Provides enough physical damage to use mana leech on gear (free's up 1 gem - more damage than any jewellery is able to provide)
- Melee Splash has also integrated "pierce" :-)
- Melee Splash is 360° around the char - no sneaky bastard from behind!
- synergies!

// Update:
Video
http://youtu.be/tnow8jVFbXA
Ofc i messed around with my build again. In this video, i use multistrike instead of faster attacks, and removed eldrich battery (instead, used several increased mana nodes).

New build:

Future build (no more unwavering stance):

New gear:
Spoiler

Some stats:
- 10.3k dps displayed, with auras
- 3.5k hp, 3k with auras
- 420 energy shield
- 710 mana
//

With enough DPS (err, Cold Damage), white mobs are usually always frozen, nevertheless chilled. I also freeze kole from time to time. Dont even need frostbite curse, it just slows me down. The AoE is pretty decent, diameter probably more than 1/2 of the screen height.
Imho GH is better than LS (not as good in open areas like docks. But 9000 times better in close quarters combat like lunaris).

Additionally I use leap slam. With nearly 75% knockback chance, it is possible to leap slam into difficult ranged enemies, or dodge attacks.

Basic Principles of this Build:
- Important: 8% Mana Leech on gear, so we dont need mana leech gem (can work with 6%)
- As many damage auras as possible
-- most important: Hatred. Additional 24% of physical as cold damage? Hell yeah!
- As many physical damage nodes as possible
- As much HP as possible
- As many endurance charges as possible (dont need armour or evasion)
- As many increased-radius nodes as possible (to make splash really viable)
- A 2h mace with as much physical damage and attack speed as possible (>1.5)
- As much attack speed as possible (to push chance to freeze)
-- i currently have around 3 attacks/s
- A nicely rolled icetomb
- Around 1000 mana

How to play: (video maybe coming soon)

Solo:
- Leap Slam into Group
- Hit the enemy in the center of the group
- Hit him again
- Leap Slam to the next group

Group:
- Leap Slam into group
- Cast 2x Enduring Cry while they are knocked back
- Hit the enemy with most health until all are death
- Repeat

Pros:
- its melee! 4 real! (melee splash wont work by hitting the ground)
- DPS! (about 9k paper DPS, but feels like more because of shattering)
- Only 1 attack needed :-)
- Safe because of freeze/chill
- Fun!
- maps with frozen patches? Whats that? free iiq? (immune to chill)
- dont need expensive gear
- Bored? Just exchange Glacial Hammer with Infernal Blow / Heavy Strike / whatever.

Cons:
- only 1 attack (as we need all gem slots for auras)
- not so good single target damage (but who the f* cares)
- need around 1000 mana to have enough mana/s to sustain Glacial Hammer - this means eldrich battery + Discipline :-/
- Wont work with 50% decreased mana regen maps
- Hard hitters like kole or the leap-slam guy are... hard. but they usually are as melee.
- Need to actually hit/click on an enemy. Can limit DPS.

Current Build lvl80:

Build i want with lvl85:

Gear:
Spoiler

How-To Gear Armour:
- 1st prio: life
- nice to have: energy shield (i got 400)
- nearly capped elemental resistances, ofc (this means around 50-55).
- haste gem needs a lot of dex - get around 130 dex
- strength ftw! (damage + life)
- movement speed helps

How-To Gems:

Attack:
- Glacial Hammer with Quality
- Melee Splash with Quality
- Faster Attacks
- Weapon Elemental Damage
- Life Leech

Escape/Movement/Dodge:
- Leap Slam
- Knockback with Quality
- Faster Attacks

Defense:
- Enduring Cry
- Enduring Cry
- Faster Casting
- Optional: Blood Magic

Auras in short (link them appropriatly):
- Wrath
- Anger
- Discipline
- Purity
- Hatred
- Haste

5L -> 6L gem choices (probably need more mana for that):
- Elemental Proliferation (will help a little to spread freeze, but not really necessary)
- Cold penetration (much more dps. But it's already enough).
- Added cold damage (bit more dps. increased chance to freeze with quality. nice).
- increased quantity (the standard. booring).
- increased area of effect. currently my favourite. freeze whole screen! :-)

Math Basics - Mana Leech:

To fully sustain this build, two things are needed:
a) enough mana per second (depends on max mana)
b) enough mana per hit (depends on physical damage and mana leech %)

Whereas the following ratio are needed:
a) attacks/second x mana_spend_per_hit < mana / 8
b) physical_damage_per_hit * mana_leech_percent > mana_spend_per_hit

Things that make both easier:
1) lower attack speed
2) increased physical damage gem instead of weapon elemental damage gem

History:
- First char on release day of open beta was "newbie friendly maurauder build"
- switched to LS templar (lmp + 20% LS - no chain)
- switched to THIS

Update:
I exchanged faster attacks for multistrike. Higher paper DPS, more freeze, addictive.
But the gameplay is strange; often hit 2 out of the 3 hits into the void because the mob is already dead. The very high attack speed make enduring cry awkward to use. Desync aint so bad as before. Sometimes it helps, as the wild targeting + desync hits targets further away (which should not be hittable from the current position the char is standing).
Last edited by siliconlife on Jul 20, 2013, 9:57:33 AM
Anyone knows how to perform a screen capture, without cracking fraps? :-)
Hey, thx to share us your build.

I am doing same actualy but playing with a scepter/shield and going to CI.

I don't know at all what it will done at 70+. Was thinking about criticals to freeze more often, but without a dagger, crit is complicated.

Something i don't like at all in your build is Eldritch Battery. Do you think it is viable to do without it ? Maybe to take all regen by sec nods and running blood magic ? (maybe with a carnage onyx ammy...or not xD).

"
Garvil wrote:
I don't know at all what it will done at 70+. Was thinking about criticals to freeze more often, but without a dagger, crit is complicated.

Something i don't like at all in your build is Eldritch Battery. Do you think it is viable to do without it ? Maybe to take all regen by sec nods and running blood magic ? (maybe with a carnage onyx ammy...or not xD).

Hello fellow cold hammerer!

I think crit is the way to do it with a 1h, as the base hit damage may be lower as with 2h. So crit helps double (more chance to freeze by critting, more chance to freeze by doing more damage per hit).

The points I spend for Eldrich Battery are much, much better than the other possible choices (increased max mana and reduced mana cost of skills). Sadly :-)

To answer your last question, lets toy around with math.

My current 5L needs around 45 mana/hit. When exchanging lifeleech with blood magic, it will jump to around 70 or so, i think. If you do 2.5 attacks/second, you'll need 2.5*70=175 health/s.

If you have 2000 hp and 4% of life regenerated per second, you regenerate 80 health/s. If we assume you do 800 physical dps and 10% lifeleech, this will result in additional 80 health/s.

80 + 80 = 160 =~ 175 ;-).
Maximum Health/s is usually not that of a problem, as it is capped on maxhealth/4 (and not maxmana/8 like for mana/s).

So yes, it might be possible. But it may take a bit of tweaking (toying with attack speed, physical damage nodes, maxlife, additional lifeleech from skilltree or gear (slitherpinch has 3%, wurm's molt 2%), etc...

Last edited by siliconlife on Jun 27, 2013, 3:13:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the quick answer.

Actually i am playing with dominating blow on my main. The skill cost me 350 life to use. But i can afford it with life leech on my stuff, on my build, and my passive regen. I have about 3500 life with more than 110 life regen/s at lvl 65 and no problems to run it. Glacial hammer cost way less mana, i think i will be able to use it on life xD

I can only afford it thanks to the multistrike skill gem. I think it would be an amazing add to this build. 3 hit for 1 cost of mana/life and nice attack speed to shatter and shatter and...hummm sorry !

About 1h, well i made a build to use crit. Adding with build and stuff 200% more crit (or maybe a bit more).

1h scepter give me 7% (around)chance to crit. 7% x3= 21% crit chance...a bit low i think to be viable. And i can't and don't want to use power charge (not enough passive points).

Do you think this build would be viable with CI/ES ? At the moment (lvl 42), i have problems with mana management and with survability (but for the last one i know it will improve way better when i will equip my good ES stuff and spe all points in CI/VP/...)
Last edited by Garvil on Jun 27, 2013, 3:19:14 PM
"
Garvil wrote:
I can only afford it thanks to the multistrike skill gem. I think it would be an amazing add to this build. 3 hit for 1 cost of mana/life and nice attack speed to shatter and shatter and...hummm sorry !

Do you think this build would be viable with CI/ES ? At the moment (lvl 42), i have problems with mana management and with survability (but for the last one i know it will improve way better when i will equip my good ES stuff and spe all points in CI/VP/...)

Multistrike is also very possible, yes. But i dont like it very much, because of the wild targeting and desync issues (especially when linked with melee splash). And the lower damage per hit.

I did never (successfuly) level an ES char, so i cant really tell. It may be easier to get all the necessary skill points and gear, may be harder. But the basic principles apply the same; get enough mana per second sustain your cool stick. And enough health, err, energy shield recovery as possible to stay alive.
well i think i will not be able to finish my Es build. Have enough to be like paper :x
"
siliconlife wrote:
Anyone knows how to perform a screen capture, without cracking fraps? :-)

F8 or function F8 if using a laptop
IGN: Rainku_Arc
how about this build?

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwEswUtDjwOrRLhFCAUTRRxFHUYXRiRGNsZLhmFGjgabCECIVUhYCSqJ-0otSkuKU8ppSr2MfsyCTKJNuk5DjpSQKBBP0OcTeNQR1BQUeZUSVYEVw1X4lhjWfNfP2BLYIhhIWFSZ5tyqXTtdPF35XgNeu97jHzZgpuDOIZgjM-QVZHOnrmezZ_LogCi6qQZpzCnhKloqW6sWayqtC-53b6KwBrB2MbYyZjQR9Ih1I_ZYdw937_i6uNq5CLnUuw47w7vTu988B_yL_Pd9kj3vv6P

or with high freeze chance u dont have problem geting hit in surviving?
"Brutus transformed himself out of fear. Fidelitas did so out of love."

sdfsdfsdf name already exist O_O
"
nevidonas wrote:
how about this build?

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwEswUtDjwOrRLhFCAUTRRxFHUYXRiRGNsZLhmFGjgabCECIVUhYCSqJ-0otSkuKU8ppSr2MfsyCTKJNuk5DjpSQKBBP0OcTeNQR1BQUeZUSVYEVw1X4lhjWfNfP2BLYIhhIWFSZ5tyqXTtdPF35XgNeu97jHzZgpuDOIZgjM-QVZHOnrmezZ_LogCi6qQZpzCnhKloqW6sWayqtC-53b6KwBrB2MbYyZjQR9Ih1I_ZYdw937_i6uNq5CLnUuw47w7vTu988B_yL_Pd9kj3vv6P

or with high freeze chance u dont have problem geting hit in surviving?

No. Freeze build will decrease the amount of hits i need to tank, but will not eliminate them completly. It is necessary to have a good defense to survive those "oh shit" situations. My way to do this is taking endurance charges, as they provide a flat damage reduction. Armour is worthless for high-damage hits, and therefore, worthless.

Your build is pretty ok; some wasted points here and there, some armour, some movement speed. But the big thing that is missing is increased area of effect. You took only one node which summarizes to 12% increased radius, whereas i have at least 40%. Also the increased physical damage nodes at the start of the maurauder tree are not optimal (bone smasher is more potent for less points, if you are using a mace).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info