0.9.11f Patch Notes

"
DeF46 wrote:
Are there any plans to stop using thousands of 1-2 KB files like that?
12568 files in ShaderCache folder alone

yeah, the shader cache also could need some improvement. but I think its faster to access small files than to seek within larger ones (at least with a capable filesystem)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Well, a cache is just that -- a cache. It only exists to speed up load times. All the shaders could be handled without loading them into the cache for later use, but having them in the cache speeds up the load for the next time you need to use them.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Aug 9, 2012, 11:43:36 AM
I have about 15000 files in my minimap folder. Does each one more or less correspond to a unique instance? If so I might be playing this game too much.
And as it is such so also as such is it unto you
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
"
DeF46 wrote:
Are there any plans to stop using thousands of 1-2 KB files like that?
12568 files in ShaderCache folder alone

yeah, the shader cache also could need some improvement. but I think its faster to access small files than to seek within larger ones (at least with a capable filesystem)

Speaking about NTFS (Win filesystem), access many small files is significantly slower than seek in one large. Also small files are aligned to clusters (generally 4 KB) which means there are a lot of unused space.

On the other hand maintaining one large file is problematic while you removing chunks, this can lead to fragmentation (like memory in C++) and it could be slower than many small files.

My Minimap folder contains only 651 files which are 411 kB large, but on disk they take 2.5 MB. One large file would ideally took just 412 KB.

Also, I would recommend to GGG to put all those small-files caches (Minimap, ShaderCache) to primary disc (for example to AppData) since many people (including me) have system on SSD which can significantly improve performance!
Last edited by NightElfik on Aug 10, 2012, 8:08:40 AM
wow.... Great...!! Thats a new version... Thank you for sharing.. Long path tools can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info