"The Help": Hired or Otherwise

Tertium, I will try to explain.

There is no distinction between "Skill Gem Sockets" and "Support Gem Sockets".
There are three types of sockets:
1. Strength (red)
2. Dexterity (green)
3. Intelligence (blue)

You can only put a blue (intelligence) gem in a blue socket, red gem in a red socket, etc.

Sockets can be linked. The links are shown as gold bars between the sockets. Support gems affect any skill gems in sockets that they are linked to.

Let's take the picture you linked as an example.
http://www.pathofexile.com/image/gems/swordconnections.png
This sword has 1 strength socket, 1 intelligence socket, and 2 dexterity sockets. Every socket is linked to every other socket. In this sword you could put:

* 4 skill gems. You would get access to 4 active skills.

* 3 skill gems and one support gem. You would get access to 3 active skills, and all three would be improved by the support gem.

* 2 skill gems, 2 support gems. You get 2 active skills, both are improved by both support gems

* 1 skill gem, 3 support gems. You get 1 active skill that is boosted by all 3 support gems.

So lets say you put in:
Cleave skill gem,
Raise Zombie skill gem, and
Added Fire Damage support gem.
You would get a cleave skill that does extra fire damage, and raise zombie skill with zombies that do extra fire damage.
You would not get zombies that have cleave, or raise a zombie every time you use cleave.

Make sense now?
@malice: Thanks for that detailed explanation! Seems that i misunderstood the system as well!

to topic: As everybody said there would be a lot of balancing problems if summoned creatures get the active skills as well. But i think it wouldn't be impossible to add this feature.
Malice (thankfully you do not seem to live up to your name :) ), that really was most informative. I agree with Rhesos, according to your explanation, it appears that my idea is at the very least plausible, but likely difficult to implement.
"
Tertium_Quid wrote:
Malice (thankfully you do not seem to live up to your name :) ), that really was most informative. I agree with Rhesos, according to your explanation, it appears that my idea is at the very least plausible, but likely difficult to implement.
It would definitely be cool, I mean you could have zombies that can raise their own fireball-shooting zombies, lol.
It's definitely a fun idea, but it could easily become imbalanced.
Just raise one zombie, then watch as it shoots fireballs and raises it's own zombies, eventually clearing the entire level while you eat lunch.
Perhaps a 15% percent chance the zombie summoner turns on you. Whats that saying don't raise up more demons than you can put down.
Yes good sir, I enjoy slaying mythical creatures.
"hmm never chance a running system" a to complex skillsystem means years of balanceing... i like the system how it works at the moment. its innovative but not to complex
I did not think at all about summons being able to create more of themselves, that would only make things more complicated.

I only intended for summons to be able to use reduced abilities (compared to what a player could do) that would aid in achieving a certain strategy. A player could also choose to just use the summon in the 'traditional' fashion of a meat shield decoy, if they so wished, but that would not likely do as much damage as what I suggested.

So the choice then would be up to the player as to what they wanted to do, simply using the summon as a meat shield, relying instead of the damage output of the character, or having a weaker summon (in comparison to the traditional way) that did far more damage, splitting the damage output between the character and the summons.

It truly seems that ideas can acquire lives of their own.
Also what about when the summons are using witch spells i could see, but how about ranger abilities unless the zombie spawns with a bow. Now that i think about it i actually like your idea Tertium_Quid though instead of all the support gems being able to modify a summon; how about specialized support summoning gems. This could have the potential to make a witch "summoning class" kinda cool if you as me.

Not sure if i worded that well. Ask me if you don't get it.
one of the videos clearly says that your skills can be granted to minions or turned in to traps.

the question isnt can or should it be possible but how affective the skills will be in the hands of minions.

how often will a zombie aim at the middle of a pack of monsters so that its cleave hits them all? if zombie cleave reduces its base damage you would suffer against single targets, and only come out on top win tight packs come at your zombie. everything ive seen shows hordes of evenly scattered monsters and players being attacked from many sides in the videos.
Could you post a link to the video?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info