Chaos Acolyte [Poison Arrow, Viper Strike, Shock] [IR/EB/MoM/AA] Potential 1.2.0 Tree in Latest Post

Thanks. =D

"
Kazang wrote:
Nice update. Looks really good.

One thing I might suggest is skipping all the extra evasion nodes around the scion and just coming in from the right side of the tree, it's the same number of nodes(4 dex for the current path, 3 dex and a +30 strength from the right).

Death's Oath is armour and with a two handed sword or bow you won't have any evasion from a shield either. The only significant amount evasion will be from gloves and grace. Which means all those evasion nodes are only half as effective as they otherwise would be. Instead of getting the evasion nodes you could get Charisma and Influence for better mana and armour from auras, which equates to higher level AA and more mitigation(both armour and more mana for MoM). Or just get more life from gynmastics, revenge of the hunted or all the 8% nodes in the shadow area. Clever Construction and the life/mana nodes opposite would also be a good investment, likewise Master Sapper.

Hmmm, you're right about the evasion nodes. It seemed to be the most efficient way to get to the other side of the wheel, but considering the lack of a lot of evasion it makes more sense to go elsewhere.

Here is an experimental change to the 108 point tree route.

Pros
  • Clever Construction
  • +24% increased maximum Mana
  • +10% reduced Mana Reservation
  • +10% increased Attack Speed
  • +6% increased Movement Speed
  • +20% increased Projectile Speed

Cons
  • -1 additional maximum Frenzy Charge
  • -6% increased maximum Life
  • -70% increased Evasion Rating
  • -7% increased Damage for Poison Arrow
  • -18% increased Frenzy Charge Duration

Heh, I'm not sure which would be better. I guess it's just a matter of preference. There are a few more variations as well... Lots to choose from.
same name in-game
How about this

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABA5YEfgUtBfkV8BjbGtsc3CFgIuoj9iQ8J6kwfDIBOlg7KD3iPs9AoEZxSRNJUUp9UUdSr1YtVvpaSFptW69gQ2BLZ6Bn_G49b550QXTtdPF2gnrvfXV_K3_Ggh6DCYUyhxmHdongjX2TH5MnmyabtZ65oqOjiqdcqn-quKx_rUqyGbQMtNG307tNvebB88M6yAzKSs0mz3rTftaK18vbC90N3V_mWOjW7BjuDu967_D5Y_zF_ro=

You can swap ondars for iron reflexes if you want.
"
Kaninsurma wrote:
How about this

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABA5YEfgUtBfkV8BjbGtsc3CFgIuoj9iQ8J6kwfDIBOlg7KD3iPs9AoEZxSRNJUUp9UUdSr1YtVvpaSFptW69gQ2BLZ6Bn_G49b550QXTtdPF2gnrvfXV_K3_Ggh6DCYUyhxmHdongjX2TH5MnmyabtZ65oqOjiqdcqn-quKx_rUqyGbQMtNG307tNvebB88M6yAzKSs0mz3rTftaK18vbC90N3V_mWOjW7BjuDu967_D5Y_zF_ro=

You can swap ondars for iron reflexes if you want.

Looks pretty good, if you don't want to use traps/mines that is. I highly suggest you take the skill duration cluster, though. It is pretty much imperative for any build based around Poison Arrow's poison cloud and/or Viper Strike.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Dec 13, 2013, 5:57:25 AM
I am trying this out, really enjoying it, question though, would a Deaths Harp bow be good for this?
Last edited by BZRKNode on Dec 15, 2013, 9:11:20 AM
Does the trap/remote mine combo really work? I mean does the increased damage on the mine transfer on the trap (or the other way around)?

Or more generally, why do you use traps? There are other suppoort gem combinations. Or you could go for a mix between chaos dmg and elemental/phys dmg.
http://tinyurl.com/ooety9v - Ranger bow lightning arrow crit build
what about using melee splash with viper strike for aoe? i think it works perfect .. did i miss something here?

nevertheless great guide! :)
If poison arrow's damage scales off of the bow's physical damage, why isn't getting a high phys damage bow the most important thing for damage? Guide says +2 to gems modifier is.

edit: i quit after getting to level 20. poison arrow just does not do any damage. for an aoe ability it doesn't seem to take out packs quick enough. maybe I'm missing something about what gear to look for. I think I would be better off leveling with double strike or even ground slam.
Last edited by Darkith1546 on Dec 15, 2013, 8:40:14 PM
"
BZRKNode wrote:
I am trying this out, really enjoying it, question though, would a Deaths Harp bow be good for this?

For Poison Arrow's poison cloud, not really. The additional arrow doesn't do much but spread its area of effect a little more.

You'd be better off with a bow that adds gem levels. I suggest getting one of the short bow base types and spamming Orbs of Alteration until you get one of those modifiers.

"
Dan1986 wrote:
Does the trap/remote mine combo really work? I mean does the increased damage on the mine transfer on the trap (or the other way around)?

Or more generally, why do you use traps? There are other suppoort gem combinations. Or you could go for a mix between chaos dmg and elemental/phys dmg.

Yep, it works. The reason to use traps/mines is that the support gems provide substantial damage modifiers and the passive skill tree nodes make it even more worthwhile. Keep in mind that the objective is to boost the damage of the poison cloud, not the attack's initial hit.

"
Charon_HH wrote:
what about using melee splash with viper strike for aoe? i think it works perfect .. did i miss something here?

nevertheless great guide! :)

Yeah, it works well. It isn't needed as much in higher levels, though. Against packs of enemies you'd be more focused on laying Poison Arrow mines, then curses, and then spreading Shock. By the time you do all of that, those enemies are probably dead. Personally I think it's unnecessary, but that's just a matter of preference.

"
Darkith1546 wrote:
If poison arrow's damage scales off of the bow's physical damage, why isn't getting a high phys damage bow the most important thing for damage? Guide says +2 to gems modifier is.

edit: i quit after getting to level 20. poison arrow just does not do any damage. for an aoe ability it doesn't seem to take out packs quick enough. maybe I'm missing something about what gear to look for. I think I would be better off leveling with double strike or even ground slam.

The initial hit scales off of physical damage, but this build's focus is on the poison cloud. The additional gem levels scales that damage up pretty high, especially with Empower in the mix.

At a low level Poison Arrow isn't too great, after being nerfed because of races. Right off the bat you'll want a bow with additional gem levels, such as a Silverbranch or a normal bow with the modifier randomized for it. I'd say leveling with something else is also a good option but once you can use Vulnerability it's worthwhile and pretty quick when solo. That damage will ramp much higher once you can use the Trap and Remote Mine support gems. At the moment I am also leveling a new character and progressing pretty quickly with a Silverbranch.
same name in-game
Interesting build. I like the idea of Eldritch battery + Mind Over matter. I think it fits really well a character that doesn't have much access to life or mana leech.

Btw, isn't remote mine + trap a little bit complicated and time consuming to set up. Does the extra damage from Remote mine really worth it ?

Anyway, your build inspired me to create my own version of a Poison Arrows trapper (The Alchemist). Details are inside the spoiler :

Spoiler
The Alchemist uses Poison Arrow traps just like the Chaos Acolyte but uses Fire Traps instead of Viper Strike. Also, instead of using Arc/shock Nova Traps to stack shocks, he directly uses Lighting Arrows (without traps).

His main skills setup would look like this :

In a 5L bow (with +2 to bow skills, high physical dmg and local crit), I would link :

Poison Arrow + Trap + Concentrated Effect + Empower + Increased Area of Effect (or Increased duration).

In a 5L chest (Carcass Jack), I would link :

Lighting Arrow + Chain + Quality Added lighting damage, Increased Critical Chance + Weapon Elemental dmg.

With an Harbinger bow (without extra local crit) the crit% provided by the passive tree and support gem, the character's chance to crit would be around 37,5% with lightning Arrows and 30% with Poison Arrows. Add 10% chance to shock from Added lightning damage and the overall chance to shock would be 47,5% with Lighting Arrows. Add +100% crit chance from gear (rings, quiver, ammy), and the chance to crit/shock becomes 45%/55%.

Finally, in a 4L (either boots, gloves or helmet) I would link :

Fire Trap + Concentrated Effect + Increased Area of Effect + Fire Penetration (or Chance to Ignite)

The Aura passives would let me use 2 auras : Wrath (for extra dps and increased shock duration) and Grace (for defense).

I think the best curse would be Vulnerability to help both Poison Cloud and Fire trap damage over time (40% more damage)

Anyway, here's the link to my theorycrafted build (not tested yet) :

Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
Last edited by Velkor on Dec 17, 2013, 2:22:27 PM
Thanks, Velkor. Your build sounds like it'd be pretty cool. A bow with those modifiers seems like it'd be pretty damn rare, though. Definitely let me know how it goes man!

The Remote Mine + Trap combination turned out to be a bit too tedious after some testing. Although I didn't want to have to include it, Concentrated Effect seems to be a better candidate for the socket. The damage would be a little lower but when it comes to damage over time it's not very noticeable. Of course Carcass Jack would be optimal (other than Kaom's Heart) considering the reduced area of effect radius.
same name in-game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info