The birth of a true lightning mage.

Patch Update: Oh my... my character is getting a buff.

*Lightning Warp now has increased damage at high levels and it now has a 3% reduced skill effect duration per level after the first.

*Discharge now has increased damage at high levels.

*The notable passive Deep Thoughts near the Witch area has been changed to: +20% maximum mana, +20% mana regeneration, 20 Intelligence.

Oh my.... 60% faster lightning warp with more damage. The gods have smiled upon me this day.

EDIT: Logged on and did some testing.
1:Lightning warp does 50% more damage and happens twice as fast. Amazing.
2:Discharge max lightning damage at 7 charges was 4k before. Now its 9k!!! dfajkf;dK!!!
3:My mana now recharges so quickly that I cannot even make it go down. Now switching out faster casting/other skills that cost more mana is completely not a problem.

EDIT2: Feeling good. Now that sarn is higher monster level, I can take my time leveling him where I want him. Will be duo'ing maps around 66~67. When I hit 67, I will have the +10% resists from passive, and resists on the armor. Since I do not require the regen from the ruby ring anymore I will be getting a new one, along with doing a major gear upgrade with my guy. I will be evening out resits to max, but not over. I will also be getting as high of hp/armor/es as I can. I will be moving into HP passives at this point, so I will need hp gear.

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 10, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!<--Bush joke, too soon?)

Well its here people. Let me start by saying that the build is working by leaps and bounds, and I'm still only level 69. I hold that my 'build' is complete because I have all my main gear (chest/helm/boots/gloves) all set, my resists at max, and adequate weapons/rings/belt.

Note: Now as I continue to level, I will be upgrading my rings with manaregen/hp/es/IIQ/IIR/etc as I find them/buy them, and I will use my belt to round off my resists. Also, at some point I will be upgrading my wands as they come along (feel free to link me some :)

Alt Slot:

Passive Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABAcEswVbDkgRlhRNFkAWvxpsHwInqSlPLR82xTrYQ2NG10lRTLNN2FAwVcZY9V3GXfJfKmBtY0NmT2aeZ71tGXBScNVxTXYRfVN-WX6vf8aBSYFvgpuFfYhCi4yMdo5kj0aaz5uhnaOdrp3EnjyiAKKjpwinXLI4toa2-rcxwFHBxcHzw23Mt89l0NDVddgk2t3bXt3z4XPjhOQi6-TsGOw47SDub_Id8s7z6vem_Ks=

Major changes:
-Now with mana regen rings, I have obtained enough mana to run shock nova with 3 full supports. Now that I am tanky enough, I have removed increased AoE for more damage, using faster casting, crit damage, and lightning penetration. This allows me to take down them pesky ultra-lightning resist high-hp mobs that were giving me trouble before. Very nice.

-Decided on corpse explosion as my last skill. Double curse is simply not ideal for my build, and now that I have super-resist-mobs handled, I have little need. Instead CE is VERY handy for necromancers, and overall crowded mobs clumping. Very sexy.

-I am running my favorite dominating blow setup on my alt along with my portal gem. Why? Because I love it that's why. Also, the damn 5L staff cost me enough chaos orbs anyway, may as well be useful!

Now: Basic stats (with auras, and from memory, may hone after I log on later, but they are close)

-1300 HP
-3000 ES
-75% resists all
-30% armor, 70% with granite
-110 mana/s

Damage: While obviously I could be doing slightly more damage if I were to take every 15%crit/6%lightning etc node and not take any defense, but you can't do damage when you are dead. Also, lightning warping in and out of battle while casting all of my other spells is a big amount of damage. Especially after the patch, I can warp back from an approaching crowd, drop a totem in my place, land a few arcs to build 7 charges, warp back in and pop dishcharge for 11k+ AoE with 45% crit chance and lightning warp back out. I do plenty of damage, and possibly more than a lot of people I have partied with. I am on-par with a full crit/FP shadow if not past him in damage, and he has a bunch of 20% gems and full-full gear/weapons.

I am tanky enough to take on mobs, while all these other high dps glass-cannons die when a flicker mob simply looks at them. Also note, that one day I will get better wands, and my damage will go up even more. Lastly on damage, mages get more damage as their gems level, and mine are all level 15~16, meaning I have a long way to go as far as my damage ceiling.
Also, I will be placing my next 5 points into throatseeker passive circle, upping my damage by a considerable margin.

With dominating combo, my IIQ/IIR is ~ 50/80. I will be updating gear as I level now, mainly in rings/weapons as I find them, and one day my IIQ/IIR will be around my acceptable level of 80/160 once I find some godly rings.

Been doing maps solo and in duo groups (and a few full parties, but those are so hectic I won't bother discussing). I find that I simply do great dps, and can take the worst of hits and safely warp out to do more damage. I even did a level 71 colanade map, and I was killing mobs left and right without a hitch. Even super lighting resist mobs went down with shock nova. (no I did not take a hit from that boss, I did not have a death wish)

I consider this build complete. As stated before, I will be upgrading my weapons/rings as time progresses and I find them. But for now, the build stands on its own two feet, is very fun to play, and seems to have no shortfalls.

In closing: I will keep this post updated as I find better rings/wands and If I change any gems. I will also be checking in all the time, and will do my best to answer your questions, and to test out any suggestions that I find applicable. Please, leave your thoughts, and I will also encourage anyone to build one yourself. He is easy, and does not require much money to do. I will also give suggestions on paths/gear as you level if you need them.

Oh, and by the way: Did I mention playing this build is fun as hell!?

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 14, 2013, 7:27:24 PM
Just upgraded rings. At 73/75/69 resists. Considering my high hp/es, That's ok for now.

Also updated lighting dmg out of lighting warp for lightning pen. I had it in there cuz it added about 300 damage PER warp circle, for 600 total bonus. But I figure a lightning pen gem at 30% will strait up double+ my damage from it, so it has been switched!

EDIT: Cast Speed is in there for a reason. Yes, it does help. I MAY change it for AOE/Lightning dmg, but it will need to be tested further. Faster casting allows me to cast other spells while the warp is taking place. Will test the other gems and weigh out the pros/cons of it.

UPDATE: Was swapping out the gems for a bit and doing some testing. AoE and lightning dmg increase my damage by a small margin, but nothing really worthwhile. I use lightning warp mainly for the utility of it with the bonus of it doing great damage. The added... instantaneous feeling that faster casting adds to the spell leaves me feeling I have more time to cast my other, more damaging spells. Remember, my damage is based on me hitting things with multiple spells at once.

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 13, 2013, 10:51:31 PM
Any chance of putting together a video? Maybe of you running a map? Interested to see this in action
"
kicksome wrote:
Any chance of putting together a video? Maybe of you running a map? Interested to see this in action

Do not really have the desire to record this, as I am not set up for such tasks. Would be happy to show you first hand in-game however! IGN ThyRabidMonk feel free to add me, that goes for anyone. I could maybe use a PM with your IGN so I know why you added me, etc; I do run a store, and sometimes people add me simply to get an item ^_^ So clarification is always nice.

I just got a job recently, but I am normally online quite a bit, especially 5~11 EST-US

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 13, 2013, 10:44:07 PM

Updated belt/gems.
Also:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABAcEswVbDkgPxBGWFE0WQBa_GmwfAiepKU8tHzbFOtg7fENjRtdJUUyzTdhQMFXGWPVapl3GXfJfKmBtY0NmT2aeZ71tGXBScNVxTXYRfll-r3_GgUmBb4KbhX2IQouMjHaOZI9Gms-boZ2jna6dxJ48ogCio6cIp1yyOLUEtvq3MbjKwFHBxcHzw23PZdDQ2CTa3dte3Mfd8-Fz44TkIuvk7BjsOO0g7m_yHfPq96b8qw==

Tweaked my passives.

Hp: 1600+
ES: 3400+
Resists: 75/75/75
Crit Multiplier: 450%

So, replaced discharge's crit chance gem because its 65%+ with 7 charges anyway (was ~73% with gem). Added lightning pen to it because... yeah lightning pen is awesome.

Also, something to think about: Discharge level 16 gives ~10k dmg at 7 charges. Now, 65% chance to crit, with 450% multiplier = lets just say 50k damage. NOW, add 120% from triple shock charges.... ~120K AoE damage (potentially)

Epic.

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 14, 2013, 7:30:05 PM
Cool build, really wish I could see it in action. Trying to decide on what to make my next character..

Trying to decide between Discharge, Facebreak, or CI Ele-Cleave w/ AegisAurora o_0
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Cool build, really wish I could see it in action. Trying to decide on what to make my next character..

Trying to decide between Discharge, Facebreak, or CI Ele-Cleave w/ AegisAurora o_0

I know this may sound silly, but why not try a combination of skills, instead of just trying to abuse only one?

Wow.... the thought of a facebreaking dominating discharging cyclonic character makes me want to do one..... DO IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE LAND!

PS: Stay on topic please XD

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 16, 2013, 2:32:09 PM
EDIT: Couldn't help myself: here is my quick outline for said build above ^
Cyclonic Facebreaking Discharge Dominator
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBBS0FtQzyEuEZ1RrbG_ohYCP2JGok_SXfJ9UotSyFMHwyCTMMNZI-z0CgSn1OKk7IUUdVqVoaWkhbr185YEtgiGFSZ6Bqk25pcsN07XTxeOt6738rhNmHGYd2jb-XtJkrnrmfJ5_LouqkGaR4pcuqf6q4qwusurZBuDe9gb3mvqfAD8HVxFjEuMqQzAbSTdN-1QDV7dX41orcgt0N3ePe-OcK51TuDu9O73rv8Plj_MX-K__e

Level 85?
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBBS0FtQzyDkgRlhLhFr8Z1RrbG_ohYCP2JGok_SXfJ9UotSyFMHwyCTMMNZI2PT7PQKBKfU4qTshRR1WpWhpaSFuvXzlgS2CIYVJh4megapNuaXBScNVyw3TtdPF463rvfyuE2YcZh3aH242_l7SZK52jnrmfJ5_LouqkGaR4pcunNKp_qrirC6y6tkG4N72Bvea-p8APwFHB1cRYxLjKkMwG0k3TftUA1e3V-NaK3ILdDd3j3vjjhOcK51TndO4O707veu_w8-r5Y_yr_MX-K__e

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnnnnddd.... back on topic:
This is where my templar's passive tree is headed to be at ~level 80/81
AoE Abuse?
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBAcEswVbDkgPxBGWFE0WQBa_GmwfAiepKU8tHzbFNuk7fD1fQ2NG10lRTLNN2FAwUlNVxlj1WqZdxl3yXypgbWNDZk9mnme9bRlwUnDVcU12EX5Zfq9_xoFJgW-Cm4M4hX2IQouMjHaNGY5kj0aXlZrPm6GdgJ2jna6dxJ48ogCio6cIp1yyOLUEtvq3MbjKwFHBxcHzw23PZdDQ2CTa3dte3MfdjN3z4BLhc-Nq44TkIulz6-TsGO0g7m_vfPId8-r3pvrS_Ks=

Last edited by RabidMonk on May 16, 2013, 2:37:37 PM
"
RabidMonk wrote:
I know this may sound silly, but why not try a combination of skills, instead of just trying to abuse only one?
Yeah I was considering combining it all, but I wasn't impressed by what my numbers told me. But I took another look, and I realized I might actually be able to pull off a viable Tanky CI Facebreaker! o_0

"
RabidMonk wrote:
PS: Stay on topic please XD
Whoops..
On-topic: Have you seen that new Discharge Unique Wand? Dual-wielding them would give you +326% Spell Damage(at max Power Charges) and +9 Max Power Charges!

Ridiculous...
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info