Races and PvP should take a page from Magic the Gathering: Online

Can we please move this back to the normal feedback forum? It was doing really well in it's first 2-3 hours and since he got moved here I think Scrotie is the only one who knows it exists.

It's good game feedback covering general competition in the form of races and PVP.

At least throw it in the suggestion forum.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Although I like the idea itself (apart from the cash you'd have to invest), your logic regarding MTGO is severely flawed. They (Wizards of the Coast) aren't donating sh*t, they are making money like crazy with this tournament concept because most of the cards in the booster pack have literally no value because of over-satisfaction of the market (because you need unopened booster packets for every tournament). So your participation price is actually 14$ per player, totalling 112$ and minus the price pool worth 48$ you get a whooping 64$ for every event which is basically pure profit because they don't have much costs to cover except server maintenance.

I'm just hoping GGG doesn't look to closely at MTGO because for everyone except very good player you have to invest a lot of money to be able to pariticipate in tournaments.
Current league chars: Bladestorm Champion SSF
"
Shaileen wrote:
Spoiler
Although I like the idea itself (apart from the cash you'd have to invest), your logic regarding MTGO is severely flawed. They (Wizards of the Coast) aren't donating sh*t, they are making money like crazy with this tournament concept because most of the cards in the booster pack have literally no value because of over-satisfaction of the market (because you need unopened booster packets for every tournament). So your participation price is actually 14$ per player, totalling 112$ and minus the price pool worth 48$ you get a whooping 64$ for every event which is basically pure profit because they don't have much costs to cover except server maintenance.

I'm just hoping GGG doesn't look to closely at MTGO because for everyone except very good player you have to invest a lot of money to be able to pariticipate in tournaments.
I'm not suggesting GGG make this game pay-to-play, so WotC's practices there are kind of irrelevant.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2013, 11:23:47 AM
i find this a well thought out idea
bringing this game into E sports is something you could do but that could only be possible once you set a very carefull guideline for yourself
an example
Spoiler
a game that is threatened to be ruined by E sports is LoL (league of legends) where it becomes clear that pro players are starting to have a very big influence in the balance of the game however this goes too far in this particular case leaving many casual players in the dust. i play this game still but more and more i feel that a group of people that made this game big and that is not only the pro players but the senior regular players who initially discovered this game with normal lives are left in the dust when it comes to riot's choices in balance this group is the sole reason LoL exists in the first place

the same thing happened with WoW as well whine and QQ long enough about something and blizzard will change something in the game matter of the fact is that this is a very dangerous gamble and usually ends up bad for the game itself you have to understand one thing about gamers if you barely hear anything from the mayority but there is a minority screaming bla bla bla nerfbat bla bla bla you will end up hurting a big group of people those people might never even visit forums (who can blame them with some of the toxity that goes on, on some of those forums) all i can say is be very carefull once you step into e sports never hurt the people that made your game work from beginning to end e sports brings a lot of danger just to that group ive grown to utterly hate WoW a feeling of disgust comes over me when i think of this piece of garbage (what it is right now) same for D3 same bloody thing all over again it has become a symbol of everything that is wrong with all the mainstream games. me an old school gamer who grew up with arcade games where things just got harder and harder until you just died... im looking at you pacman or space invaders...

paying for races
no just no please no that is exactly what is completely against GGG fundamental principle pay to win the items you get from races are some just for fun but some are definitly good for general gameplay i look at shiversting for this race and that was my sole reason for starting races its doable for me and its a good item for w/e melee build i come up with to level.
im personally absolutely against this this is an absolute no for me

Esports even if im skeptical about it is a way better idea in this case none of your principles are hurt or compensated as long as you stand your ground on them but pay for races will automatically violate the very core principle of PoE

as hard as this critism sound i really like the rest of your post very well thought of as im starting to expect from your posts.
Last edited by agbudar on May 7, 2013, 7:13:59 PM
necromancy powers activate

except for the crappy microtransaction idea, op is all good stuff
I like that there's some wheels turning about this! Please build up racing & keep it alive!
Twitch.TV/Calipark (CaliTV)
The Racing Channel!
"
agbudar wrote:
paying for races
no just no please no that is exactly what is completely against GGG fundamental principle pay to win the items you get from races are some just for fun but some are definitly good for general gameplay i look at shiversting for this race and that was my sole reason for starting races its doable for me and its a good item for w/e melee build i come up with to level.
im personally absolutely against this this is an absolute no for me
And that's why I removed microtransaction costs from the OP. It's fully retracted. I'm no longer behind it. Pretend I didn't say it.

I think currency costs for some events (perhaps not scheduled events, but definitely for queues) would be a good idea though.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Yeah, I think there's a place for "ticket sales"-type micro-transactions in a limited way. Dota 2 does this by certain pro events having tickets you have to buy with real money in order to view. They also have features where buying a banner for your favourite team, and equipping it while spectating that team, gives you chance to win items when notable events happen during the match you're watching (bearing in mind that all items are cosmetic).

I think a good way of looking at it is to compare it to sports. You can always play football for free, there'll be a park somewhere or a friend's garden. But maybe if you want to play it in a particular way (in an actual stadium) then costs would be involved. I can't really see an equivalent for that in PoE, though. The equivalent that does exist is in viewing talented players. If there can be more of a pro scene for PoE, similar to in games like Dota and SC, I can see this being an option.
Necromancy! Still relevant feedback, and I recently mentioned this thread in that thread.
on-demand races would be truely amazing

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info