Races and PvP should take a page from Magic the Gathering: Online

"
Moosifer wrote:
Incredible, this might actually get me interested in racing again.

BUT, I think you are off with the microtransaction stuff and missed an easy one. Rather than having a buy in with points, meaning people will have to pay to play, regardless of how much it costs and also the idea of giving out cash is meh, have the buy in with orbs.

This way you can gage what level the races are. Have the buy ins range from 1 alch to 10 exalts, payouts based on how many people enter. If you need an idea of how payout structure should work check out how the online poker sites use to do it.

1 alch is not at all going to hurt someone's stash but if you sneak out a win you'll be rolling in alchs because everyone enters the cheap tournaments. Someone who isn't confident in their ability (or rich enough to throw the currency away) won't be putting up 10 exalts and the winner has (probably) gone against the toughest competition the server can offer.

I was leaning this way originally, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided against it.

Why? There are a lot of different currencies. There are also a lot of different kind of races. Combine them both, and the selection for race queues would get very, very messy. Having too many queues is a bad thing because it increases the wait time for each queue; there is such a thing as too many options here.

However, I was assuming all currencies being offered. I imagine if we follow your idea and make it particular currencies, the clutter might not be too extreme. Still, even with only three race types (1h, 2h, 3h solo maybe?) and three different currency options, that would put us at about maximum for the number of queues we could have. In essence, the more currency options, the less race rule options... and I wanted to maximize options.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.

The point is: both could work, different pros and cons for each... but knowing GGG, they'd go currency, because p2p=bad, etc. To counter this, I'm going to continue my support for microtransaction entry fees. GGG needs the money anyway; you might say they're f2p to a fault. Someone should play devil's advocate. :p
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 5, 2013, 3:48:18 AM
Personally I don't see a reason to go lower than alch, maybe jewelers/chrome/alt being the lowest. I mean really, if you did a trans/aug BI race and won, would you really want hundreds if not thousands of transmutes as your victory spoils? Feels like more of a punishment.

Thousands of jewelers or fusings, I think people would love those races.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
As soon as you introduce a microtransaction fee you'll lose a lot of potential players, and that's not what the game needs right now. No matter the cost, some people simply can't pay or would have to go through too much to be able to. Also, who'd pay to play if they're not at the top of the competition? Everyone but those winning are just losing money, or indirectly exchanging money for season points. Other than that I like the ideas; Moosifer's iteration seems good to me.

Edited for some clarification.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on May 5, 2013, 3:51:58 AM
You raise a valid point about the having too many queues.

Can simply be solved by combining currency types or simply by orb tiers

"
Moosifer wrote:
Personally I don't see a reason to go lower than alch, maybe jewelers/chrome/alt being the lowest. I mean really, if you did a trans/aug BI race and won, would you really want hundreds if not thousands of transmutes as your victory spoils? Feels like more of a punishment.

Thousands of jewelers or fusings, I think people would love those races.

I understand your point.

My aim was to allow everyone, no matter how poor or rich to feel free to play at a whim and not worry about the outcome should they lose.

Some players can afford to lose many alchemy and or exalts. For others, it could very well break the bank and discourage them from attempting races.
Last edited by Amoondrae on May 5, 2013, 3:49:08 AM
"
You raise a valid point about the having too many queues.

Can simply be solved by combining currency types or simply by orb tiers

With the queues, again I go back to poker, the cheap events were ran often. .25 cent to $100 tournaments were extremely common, you could find a 1-3 dollar tourny every 90 mins or less. The big guys, like $250-$1000 ones, as many people aren't entering them they would have them at specific times weekly, usually weekends.

The common, low/no b/i ones should just been whenever, run one every 3-6 hours whoever shows up can hop in and have fun. The ones that are costly to get in you need to standardize though. If it's 10 exalts (or expensive, number is just a fill in) you can't just throw on a random race, if it's a BLAMT at 20:00 on Sunday, it's always a BLAMT at 20:00 on Sunday.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
'Just had a thought. How about anyone being allowed to enter the event for free, but having the option to pay currency to be able to win it? That's just the basic idea, I'm not too sure on the specifics.

Edit: This could include both game currency and microtransaction points. Not specific to that idea, but players should also be able to contribute currency to the pool even if not participating, essentially allowing event sponsorship.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on May 5, 2013, 4:30:35 AM
(Moving to Race Feedback.)

This is another excellent ScrotieMcB idea.
Cheers.
deleted
Last edited by Amoondrae on May 5, 2013, 4:22:38 AM
"
pneuma wrote:
(Moving to Race Feedback.)
Such a forum exists?

Seriously. I didn't ever notice.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info