3.24.2 Hotfix 5

Those players who abuse this bug have clearly broken the game ToS, and thus, should be ban

GGG really has to deal with this seriously and give those players a lesson, so it can prevent players from abusing bugs in the future.

No matter what you are saying like “I’m not affecting other players”, “It’s just a game”, “this bug has already been up since the league start”
None of this bullshit can be an excuse for you to cheat and break the ToS in a game.
Last edited by FlyingTurtleZ on May 3, 2024, 11:40:57 PM
"
Synitare wrote:
"
vacii wrote:

You are assuming an analogy is the same as straight comparison.
If you've read carefully, you would have understood that IF intent to exploit is proven, the whole situation gets black and white pretty fast.

An analogy is literally, by definition, a comparison. What are you even talking about? And no, it still doesn't get black and white at all. There's a post on the subreddit of someone that has a full set of Kaom's gear all fully linked and socketed with either portal gems or detonate mines. They intentionally exploited this bug to do something clearly against the rules. Not a single reasonable person would conclude that they're exactly the same as anyone else exploiting any other bug.

Again, there's a reason suspensions exist instead of terminations. There's a reason appeals exist. There's a reason they're fixing the bug instead of banning people. There's a reason other bugged items are allowed to continue to exist without consequence.

Just in case it's not clear; that reason is because these things are not even a little bit black and white. The term "case by case basis" exists precisely for these situations.

Also I'd like to point out that your entire argument is flawed from the beginning. Laws are rules, but not all rules are laws. The very idea of viewing a video game service policy as "law" is unhinged.

I specifically wrote "straight comparison". No one argues against the case by case basis, quite the opposite.

Within the confines of a service, it's policy is de-facto the law.

I've said it multiple times, if intent can be proven there should be suspensions.

I'm arguing against any form of exploit justification.

I do not see the point to argue on technicalities any longer.
Don't ban the players, fix your damn game and respect those that have shown you what you messed up.
So nice of ggg to fix those items because it's already a dumpsterfire league but bugged abyss socket boots and the fire res chest couldn't weren't worth fixing keep it up guys!
"
LaserVonRekyu wrote:
"
vacii wrote:
"
Synitare wrote:

The world isn't so black and white as you would love to believe. There are absolutely grey areas, and just as absolutely cases in which ignorance is in fact a valid reason.

This is also a completely different situation. People love comparing it to the Ultimatum thing, but the reality is that all this did was allow some extra links. One generated an absurd amount of currency, the other adds +1 to your infinity damage. People screaming for blood over this are beyond unreasonable, to the point that it's genuinely concerning. In the league with a straight up item editor, people are literally losing their minds over some extra power with a negligible impact on...anything.

In the context of rules and laws, specifically in video games, things are EXACTLY black and white.
Anyone who argues differently is potentially driven by malicious intent, to either commit, aid and abet crime or evade prosecution for such.

In real life criminals are prosecuted and go to prison. In video games they get suspended for a period of time.

I am arguing that this is not black and white because I want to be safe while I play. Why you labeling others that think from a different perspective must be criminal or malicious?

Not knowing the law and breaking it is not an excuse. But what about when you ask the law and get contradicting answers like we have? I am trying to follow the instructions yet the instructions change without communication. I have no ill intent yet could easily cause harm just as every other player.

This is a problem that every single new thing I learn about PoE for years is measured in "could be an exploit or not." Rather than "is worth my time or not."

Intent is the most important thing here, i'm not labeling anyone anything, as you can see from the initial bug report for this, the intent is clear, i'm not sure this could be said for everyone who did this.

Moving away from specificity of the issue, to broad generalization just leads to pointless arguing.
Last edited by vacii on May 3, 2024, 11:44:35 PM
"
Xiipher wrote:
Don't ban the players, fix your damn game and respect those that have shown you what you messed up.

What about the ones that intentionally exploited this to gain unfair economical advantage over other by accessing unintended power levels early?
"
LaserVonRekyu wrote:
"
iParadoxG wrote:
Finally!

hope you guys ban the exploiters while you're at it.

You too should be banned.

Would make exactly as much sense.

As a person with autism, I do not comprehend the difference of available ingame options and exploits. They are all options to me. Your social construct of what is an inexcusable exploit is your own subjective perspective that I am incapable of comprehending.

Should I be banned just because of I have this disability?

Why should I have to play in fear that a normal action could ban me.

Until GGG provides clear and universal guidelines for situations like this, all players that learn of such actions are going to be forced to perform them, or fall behind when GGG chooses not to remove the "exploit"

"
20 Users Banned for Exploit Abuse
Earlier today, we learned of a bug in Ultimatum that allows players to generate excessive rewards. Shortly after its discovery, we deployed a hotfix that capped the amount of experience and items that Ultimatums could yield.

We have banned 20 accounts that abused this exploit multiple times. These bans will last until Ultimatum ends in July. We will also void the characters they made in Ultimatum so that they (and their items) will not be transferred to their parent leagues.

If you uncover an exploit in Path of Exile and abuse it for your benefit, we will ban you.
Posted by Chris
on Apr 20, 2021, 5:43:37 AMGrinding Gear Games
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3087148

While I felt the same way you did, once this ^^^ happened a few years ago, I learned not to bother with any exploits at all. Wasn't a hard lesson thankfully. Let's cut to the chase; EVERYONE who used that today's 6L exploit did it full well knowingly. They outright deserve to be banned. Just a matter of if they'll also ban those that bought and sold the same items too for even touching game illegal items.

"
Until GGG provides clear and universal guidelines for situations like this, all players that learn of such actions are going to be forced to perform them, or fall behind when GGG chooses not to remove the "exploit

This however I do agree with. GGG should be more clear about MANY things not just instances like this. I've posted about the lack of explanations on here a few times in the past. It's a weird feeling to play a game and then be caught with your pants down breaking a rule that you didn't know about.

"
marketfreshe wrote:
wtf is wrong with all of you degens asking for bans? did it hurt you? are your sensitive little feelings abused? my goodness, this shit is hilarious, just be glad they're going to fix the items, who cares about the accounts.

Normally I'd 100% fully agree with you cause I've asked people in these posts constantly about why they want bans and are against capped limits (which would mean there'd be no need for us players to get nerfed again).

THIS however, nah chief I can't roll with you on this. Everyone who created, bought and sold the illegal bugged items today outright knew this was not game legal and deserve to have their accounts banned. We all know full well how GGG feels about this stuff (scroll up to the other quote from them banning people for a previous exploit).

"
ZionHalcyon wrote:
I did not participate in the exploit but the reason GGG has in the past been cautious about banning players is because people who discovered this bug did so in the spirit of investigating the game and did not do so originally with the intent to cause harm to the game.

And like anything else that Gamers discover that was not intended by any developer anywhere, they get excited and share with other people what they found.

It's actually normal gamer behavior and unless there is an official comment from the developers to say hey knock it off, then it becomes unfair for the people who originally found it to go back and get banned for it.

GGG is handling this right. Fix the broken items. At the end of the day, a fair punishment for the gamers who did this will be the fact that they burned a craft to do it only to have it undone.

No need for people to pound the tables in order to get their pound of Flesh.

Studying other gaming companies who have done such things tends to show that it usually backfires as people who didn't realize it was an exploit or even serious get caught up in the crossfire and the resulting backlash often doesn't make it worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree that there SHOULD be more transparency about the game legal rules of PoE, besides the obvious facts of no RMT, 3rd party programs etc BUT this is different and you know it. The moment I saw it start in game early this afternoon, I outright knew NOT to touch anything bugged nor create any.

"
ChaosActual wrote:
Good. RIP anyone who thought they wouldn't fix this and RIP anyone who spent currency to buy bugged items. Hopefully this is a learning experience for you guys lol.

I don't think bans are warranted (personally) unless someone made a shitload of money by farming with the bugged items. If people crafted them for memes or it just sat in their stash, whatever. Revert the items to correct socket numbers and move on. But if they somehow made some busted build and farmed a bunch with bugged stuff, probably warrants a ban, at least for the league

Everyone here who is FOR the bugged items to be kept or people who even touched the bugged stuff to not have their accounts banned are clearly those that participated in the fuckery. No need to sugarcoat it. They were wrong and knew it. If those people ignored the warnings of others in global and trade chat and continued to play dumb about this; they deserve to be banned 100% no grey area about that.

I rarely post, but when I do it's important. Fighting for the player, not monsters! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/880487

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2300612
Last edited by WoT_Seanchan on May 4, 2024, 12:02:05 AM
"
FlyingTurtleZ wrote:
Those players who abuse this bug have clearly broken the game ToS, and thus, should be ban

GGG really has to deal with this seriously and give those players a lesson, so it can prevent players from abusing bugs in the future.

No matter what you are saying like “I’m not affecting other players”, “It’s just a game”, “this bug has already been up since the league start”
None of this bullshit can be an excuse for you to cheat and break the ToS in a game.

“this bug has already been up since the league start” is my favorite one, just makes me wonder did they knew about it since league start, did they exploit it since league start, if so - why didn't they report it? Or perhaps, the simpler explanation is that they mindlessly participated in the exploit, because they saw the cool kids doing it and are now trying to justify their actions.
I mean... Why ban those who shared the exploit? They could've kept it for their selves but they didn't. They abused it even if they shouldn't have, yes, but this is a good reminder for the QAs of the GGG to check every small details of the game.
"
FlyingTurtleZ wrote:

cry more :* nothing about it is cheating.
Last edited by Skellesi on May 3, 2024, 11:58:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info