Trade in PoE is not good and takes away from immersion

You can read about why the trade system is as it is here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2025870
Yes, it is still current. The reasoning behind it is valid too.
I used to recommend people to play hc trade because it doesn't have any of these problems that sctrade has. T17s ruined it. There are probably 40-50 people that can farm t17s in hc and they pretty much got to get rich early with exploits and hold onto, and control the price of every hard to find item.

As someone who already has enough monitors to make that specific part of trade not a problem, "buy another monitor" is an absolutely fucking insane response from a GGG rep on that complaint.

Has anyone at GGG ever tried playing their game on anything but a dev setup? Do they have any idea what their game is like for someone who can't afford the newest hardware every patch?
"
Cyzax wrote:

It makes sense for major items like equipment.

Cold calling dozens of strangers and getting my time wasted, potentially not even being able to afford the price that the person who will actually respond has set, just so I can make change? No, that's not valid at all.
"
MLGonthorian wrote:
They needed a better trade system 10 years ago at this point. The whole experience takes so much away from the game. You're sitting there for 3-4 hours buying things you need for running your maps and then in the middle of running your maps, you have to leave your map just to make a trade.

People don't respond to trades, price fixers, massive market manipulation. People are not going to leave their map for you to sell something they have listed at a low price so it's a coin toss whether someone will even respond to you. You're sitting there messaging 10-20 people, sometimes more, for a single item, and it's not even gear, it's either a scarab, a map or some other currency. Make currency trading easier at least. SOMETHING.

On top of this, you have to have your game in windowed mode and have half of your screen with the trade window and the other half with the game. People actually asked Jonathan during podcasts, can we have the trade in the game please? And their solution is telling people to get a second monitor, yet 32:9 is removed from the game, so you have even less room to fit your game while having to fit a second monitor on your desk as a solution to having to use the trade that we are stuck with on this game. Even worse, the people who play full-screen just alt-tab. Imagine, every 20-30 minutes of playing a game, you have to press alt-tab to either sell or buy something to continue playing the actual game. This isn't playing the game anymore, it's just searching trade queries at that point and it completely ruins the immersion.

Also, you have content sometimes that you CAN'T leave. Imagine you're doing the final waves of a Simulacrum or the final waves of an uber lab and someone messages you for their item. Sure, you can tell the buyer "in lab, in simulacrum." But do you think they will wait for you? Of course not, they will buy from someone else.

Then there's the aspect of having to go into someone's hideout to trade when they are in a completely different server than yours, causing massive ping spikes and sometimes crashes and dc's. You play in Washington D.C. and join someone from Singapore for a trade, it's likely you will dc or one of you will crash to desktop.

Anything at this point would be better than what is in the game currently. Even cross-instance trading would help.

You could even do a system where you can trade a person without having to go into their hideout as long as they are online, one less step than what you have to do now.

I think the main reason they don't want to do anything auction house related is because their network, coding & database is archaic so they would have to basically re-do their entire infrastructure for it to work even though it is singlehandedly the most important & biggest issue there is in the game currently.

An auction house, for at least currency only, is an obvious solution but they conditioned their playerbase into thinking this would be bad for the game, when in reality, you can make the drop chance of most things lower, which would counteract having an auction house or even having a gold fee like they mentioned with instant buyout trading, which will still not be a full solution but it's better than nothing I guess. Then again you will have to wait another 3-4 years before it comes to PoE 2 and then eventually to PoE 1 so enjoy the current trading experience I guess.

I didn't need to read more than your first two paragraphs to hard agree. Trade on this game sucks so much that the only way I have fun playing is in SSF. But now I feel forced to play meta, or go trade if I want to play the skills I enjoy. I am probably going to quit soon tbh :/
"
murdouken wrote:
"
Cyzax wrote:

Cold calling dozens of strangers and getting my time wasted, potentially not even being able to afford the price that the person who will actually respond has set, just so I can make change? No, that's not valid at all.

Given the amount of loot that gets dropped in PoE, there has to be a limiter on how much of it enters the trade market. The only limiter that is available is to make trade 'cost' time so most people don't ID loot, and don't list it for trade.

If that loot entered an auction house type trade system, you'd (figuratively) have two types of items. Those that cost a wisdom, and those that cost a mirror... The cheap ones would still be very very good.

At that point, the game would have to be rebalanced as everyone would have 'very good' gear that would only cost a pittance... That rebalance would kill off self-found players, because there would be no chance for them to actually play and progress. It would also kill off any joy in finding a 'good' item, You'd essentially never find anything you could sell for any appreciable amount.

No. Trade has to be limited, and the only limit that matters is time spent.

That doesn't even mention the massive amount of money GGG would have to invest in developing, maintaining and policing an auction house. An investment that would bring them zero new income. Not a sensible business decision...
Last edited by Cyzax on Apr 26, 2024, 4:47:43 PM
Please read my simple, 3 sentence post again. You clearly missed an important piece of what I said.
"
murdouken wrote:
As someone who already has enough monitors to make that specific part of trade not a problem, "buy another monitor" is an absolutely fucking insane response from a GGG rep on that complaint.

Has anyone at GGG ever tried playing their game on anything but a dev setup? Do they have any idea what their game is like for someone who can't afford the newest hardware every patch?

Where exactly do you get that from?
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
Cyzax wrote:

Indeed, advocating for hoarding and investing in stash tabs seems logical, whereas disposing of items should pose challenges.
"
Cyzax wrote:
"
murdouken wrote:
"
Cyzax wrote:

Given the amount of loot that gets dropped in PoE, there has to be a limiter on how much of it enters the trade market. The only limiter that is available is to make trade 'cost' time so most people don't ID loot, and don't list it for trade.

If that loot entered an auction house type trade system, you'd (figuratively) have two types of items. Those that cost a wisdom, and those that cost a mirror... The cheap ones would still be very very good.

At that point, the game would have to be rebalanced as everyone would have 'very good' gear that would only cost a pittance... That rebalance would kill off self-found players, because there would be no chance for them to actually play and progress. It would also kill off any joy in finding a 'good' item, You'd essentially never find anything you could sell for any appreciable amount.

That doesn't even mention the massive amount of money GGG would have to invest in developing, maintaining and policing an auction house. An investment that would bring them zero new income. Not a sensible business decision...

+1
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info