Insane Latency Spikes and Game Crashes

game is unplayable, constant 100k+ latency. Record was 250k, tbh I'm actually surprised that the game didn't disconnect me.
Server: Frankfurt
I did use MTR to check the connection to the servers as per the tech support post on these forums and the packet loss starts 3 hops before the destination. Seems to be on the GGG site of the internet.
so 4 month into poe. Some people told me "thats a good game"
LOL the game is crap. You cant play this shit.
Even diablo makes more fun
I thought this was fixed / had to do with server load etc.
Guess I was wrong, was fine until tonight, now same thing as in 3.23 again.

Does not matter if I am on Frankfurt, Milan, Amsterdam.
Could be Telekom but doubt it. Everything works including other games, no lags detected.

Also no hope GGG will acknowledge anything, the last major thread on this speaks volumes.
In fact it is a Telekom problem, but its not that easy. Let me explain:

It's the same problem as in the last league, and like the last league, GGG will just wait out the problem. As it stands now, GGG has an issue with some major carriers affecting the routing, for example, from Telekom to the Path of Exile service provider.

This is evident by the fact that the issues usually arise only during high network traffic times (between 7-12 PM) or can be bypassed with a VPN. Similarly, the issues don't occur when connecting to, for example, Washington because the routing doesn't go through Frankfurt, which is where the problem lies. I have tracked around 50 instances using WinMTR, and the problem occurs every time at the transition between the GGG service provider network and the Telekom network. Ultimately, this means that GGG simply hasn't purchased enough capacity at the peering point in Frankfurt for some major ISP service providers in Europe.

Therefore, the problem usually arises in the middle of the league or shortly after it starts and resolves towards the end. For the first two weeks, it seems they had sufficient capacity booked, then they expect the first drop in players, which didn't happen in this or the last league, possibly because these leagues were mostly praised. Towards the end of the league, player numbers naturally decrease, and the issues resolve themselves. Due to the overload at the peering point, the routing deteriorates and has to take alternative routes, resulting in lag spikes due to packet loss. It's unfortunate that GGG seems to disregard European customers of some of the largest ISPs.

The fact that they have been doing this for the second league now and show no signs of even acknowledging the issue doesn't give hope that this appalling business practice will end anytime soon.

Downvote on steam as long as the problems occur. It seems thats the only language they unterstand.
Last edited by PotaHari on Apr 9, 2024, 4:30:04 PM
"
PotaHari wrote:

It's the same problem as in the last league, and like the last league, GGG will just wait out the problem. As it stands now, GGG has an issue with some major carriers affecting the routing, for example, from Telekom to the Path of Exile service provider.

This makes sense and is a likely explanation.
Thank you.
"
PotaHari wrote:

This is evident by the fact that the issues usually arise only during high network traffic times (between 7-12 PM) or can be bypassed with a VPN. Similarly, the issues don't occur when connecting to, for example, Washington because the routing doesn't go through Frankfurt, which is where the problem lies. I have tracked around 50 instances using WinMTR, and the problem occurs every time at the transition between the GGG service provider network and the Telekom network. Ultimately, this means that GGG simply hasn't purchased enough capacity at the peering point in Frankfurt for some major ISP service providers in Europe.

Therefore, the problem usually arises in the middle of the league or shortly after it starts and resolves towards the end. For the first two weeks, it seems they had sufficient capacity booked, then they expect the first drop in players, which didn't happen in this or the last league, possibly because these leagues were mostly praised. Towards the end of the league, player numbers naturally decrease, and the issues resolve themselves. Due to the overload at the peering point, the routing deteriorates and has to take alternative routes, resulting in lag spikes due to packet loss. It's unfortunate that GGG seems to disregard European customers of some of the largest ISPs.

The fact that they have been doing this for the second league now and show no signs of even acknowledging the issue doesn't give hope that this appalling business practice will end anytime soon.

Downvote on steam as long as the problems occur. It seems thats the only language they unterstand.

True, I league started with stable ~20ms and yesterday logged in to find out constant spikes between 20 and 80, unplayable.
Tried creating new instances ingame, changing from Paris to Frankfurt etc, all the same issue, my ISP is completely fine.

You theory of GGG decreasing bandwidth after league start seems 100% accurate to me, funny thing is that they haven't say anything at all acknowledging this issue.

Time to do something for them to change this -> steam reviews.
This happened to me recently today also
Constantly got 10kms lag spikes and desyncs here and there which did not happen before until today.

the same phenomenon had also happened last league which made me skip the league entirely and its quite frustrating that apparently they havent completely fixed the issue.
No lags untill yesterday.. Now latency spikes to thousands.
I live in Florida, USA. I connect to either Washington DC or Texas.

I've had latency yoyo for the past 2 days. I've contacted my ISP 4 times, and they've checked everything all 4 times, applied update fixes as needed an hour after placing my tickets.

Yesterday- April 9 - afternoon was near unplayable...1 map, 3 disconnects due to 5k Ms lag spikes.

After ISP update fixes, we were fine last night. Nice MS.

Up to 2 pm this afternoon (April 10), MS was fine, then we had bad weather and I unplugged the computers. Once it calmed down around 6 PM, we replugged. Ran 2 maps, my husband and I. He died 5 times to lag, one shot by a boss that looked dead on my screen, but only died 10 seconds later when the game caught up. I survived because I'm a high ES CI character that nearly never get stunned (once in a blue moon).

Our MS yoyoed between 80-300 standing still in hideout, between 105 to 4k+ in the map. And we usually hover between 45 and 65 in our regular mapping as a Cyclone Icestormer and Cyclone Zoomancer, so our FPS does suffer at times but never to this aggravating extent.

Mind you, it's possible our IPS had some trouble after the bad weather, but no other online games, such as WoW Retail, D2R, D3 or Heroes of the Storm had any problem or lag. It is only PoE. Nonetheless, I let my ISP techs know. But I'm sure GGG needs to work on their end too here.

We are in NA, and our connection has nothing to do with Telekom.

It is the first league out of the last 4 years for us that performance has been this poor.
Last edited by Bellaluna1722 on Apr 10, 2024, 8:49:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info