They will delete MF in 3.24?

"
Aynix wrote:
"
hmcg020 wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
Honestly I preffer "corruption" system LE has over MF on the gear and current wisps is mechanic simillar to that, but way more uncontrolable. You make everything on the map stronger, tankier, more dnagerous in general and it drops more loot.
MF as a mod on the gear is just outdated design.

That in a nutshell is affliction minus the wisps; what's prompted so many to scREEch they want MF gone.

Yeah, because they were mad tha t their shit build cannot make as much money as those top mirror tier builds.
Such system makes big diffrence how much "money" you can farm on very strong build vs on meh build, while currently there is barely any diffrence (thing that matters the most, currently, is speed)

Agreed.

Envy and ignorance blinds people to the fact MF is simply putting 5-50 mirrors into a build to have a faster rate at building currency. Squishier, slower, weaker, infinitely more expensive to gear out, but has greater currency generation per mob.

Run a build that can do harder content, faster for a 10th of that investment and who ends up on top after a 4-month league?
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"
hmcg020 wrote:
Agreed.

Envy and ignorance blinds people to the fact MF is simply putting 5-50 mirrors into a build to have a faster rate at building currency. Squishier, slower, weaker, infinitely more expensive to gear out, but has greater currency generation per mob.

Run a build that can do harder content, faster for a 10th of that investment and who ends up on top after a 4-month league?

Yeah the main problem is that exiles without MF want to make the same profits as exiles with MF in the same type of play style and content, it's like a person riding a mountain bike complaining about Mountain Goats to be able to climb up the mountains better than them and being able to climb up in the first place.

Obviously exiles with MF will have more efficiency running maps but not killing Maven, but apparently for those, it's bad to MF to be able to profit in the content they are built into.
the major complaint about MF is how it completely skews the high end market when most people struggle to break 5 divs/hr even with very good builds and decent luck most leagues and the people who are mfing can usually make 20+ divs/hr, which makes it incredibly difficult for people to break into the high end market without running MF, the issue beyond it making high end gear even more difficult to afford for those that choose to not run MF is that there are a lot of builds that cannot reasonably run MF. Therefore it is overly centralizing and it is likely a significant culprit as to why somewhere around a third of the playerbase ends up playing tornado shot every league instead of other builds, as TS can play full magicfind without too many sacrifices.

TL:DR MF stifles build diversity and makes it harder for players to play what they want and still have access to chase items.
"
the major complaint about MF is how it completely skews the high end market when most people struggle to break 5 divs/hr even with very good builds and decent luck most leagues and the people who are mfing can usually make 20+ divs/hr, which makes it incredibly difficult for people to break into the high end market without running MF, the issue beyond it making high end gear even more difficult to afford for those that choose to not run MF is that there are a lot of builds that cannot reasonably run MF. Therefore it is overly centralizing and it is likely a significant culprit as to why somewhere around a third of the playerbase ends up playing tornado shot every league instead of other builds, as TS can play full magicfind without too many sacrifices.

TL:DR MF stifles build diversity and makes it harder for players to play what they want and still have access to chase items.

No, thats major complaint from jelous people ho think they deserver everything to be handed to them. The major problem with MF is not MF itself - its how we get it. Being limited by what gear poieces you can use (and, because of that, what build you can play) is just BORING. MF should be tied to the content you are running, not the gear you are wearing. Every build should be able to use MF and MF should make every content harder. You should be rewarded for having both gear and build that can handle the extra challenge. Affliction did it well, but the problem was we had borin "gear MF" on top of affliction bonuses so, once again, vast majroty of people were playing same fking build wearing same fking gear.
I don't see MF in itself as a huge problem for SSF. In group play, where tons and tons of items are introduced into the economy, I think it's absurdly strong. In my mind it goes against the logical progression of character development as you are intentionally making yourself weaker in order to get _more_ rewards? Shouldn't it be the other way around, where you increase your character's power in order to do more difficult content, which in turn rewards you more?

That's just my two cents.
My most hated game.
My most favorite game.
Such is the duality of man.
"
CanelayAzucar wrote:
"
hmcg020 wrote:
Agreed.

Yeah the main problem is that exiles without MF want to make the same profits as exiles with MF in the same type of play style and content, it's like a person riding a mountain bike complaining about Mountain Goats to be able to climb up the mountains better than them and being able to climb up in the first place.

Obviously exiles with MF will have more efficiency running maps but not killing Maven, but apparently for those, it's bad to MF to be able to profit in the content they are built into.

Love the mountain goat analogy. May not be an ideal representation as you can't really invest into becoming a goat lol, but the imagery was hilarious.
"

You're paraphrasing the same uninformed opinion as previously addressed in this thread, several times, and in several different ways.

Your opinion, like many others' on here is completely backwards and called tall-poppy syndrome: a perceived tendency to discredit or disparage those who have achieved notable wealth.... What it fails to take into account is literally everything other that "but what about me!?" tunnel-vision. People think you just have an MF build then just get given more currency. Like the supermarkets just have food and the banks just have money. It's so unbelievably ignorant it's astounding.

Caveat to the below
Spoiler
I don't know about bots, though I believe GGG has pretty sophisticated methods of detecting them bots farming. Currency flipping I'm not sure.

MF builds take an (arbitrary) ~10-1000x more currency to flesh out. Additionally, these builds are responsible for the overwhelming volume of currency and chase items available in the economy. The market then dictates the rate at which those items depreciate due to an ever-increasing supply. So, not only do these builds provide the market with currency and savings due to depreciation, but the god damn chase items in the first place.

Squishier, weaker, gated out of end-game, infinitely more expensive though can generate more currency per mob once you can afford to get them up and running. You're set back whatever you invest, to then benefit from the interest rate on your farm from then on. So, you invest year's worth of currency to have a small increase in returns.

Historically, MF in PoE was something that OGs did once they'd built up a few mirrors over many years and leagues. Culling for parties and using those builds to get a little more out of each map. Affliction just put that timeline into a Hyperbolic Time Chamber so now all these people can MF within a month. All of the above still stands though, and even people with 0/0% could get rich AND play end-game without investing as much, and being stronger, faster for cheaper.

Simple mathematical representation:
Spoiler
- Two people - A & B - save up $500,000
- They both earn $52,000 p/a, so they have $1,000 p/w income
- A invests $500,000 into a growth fund at 5% p/a. B holds onto the savings
- By end of year one, A now earns $1,480.77 per week and after 5 years earns $1,733.48 per week.
- B still makes $1,000 per week and even though he has $500,000 in the bank, and A only has $138,141, B is very angry, jealous and ignorant because A makes more per week.
Last edited by hmcg020 on Mar 14, 2024, 3:38:48 PM
The essence of an Action RPG lies in character progression and empowerment. MF directly contradict this principle by incentivizing players to weaken their characters in order to obtain better loot. Instead of focusing on becoming stronger to tackle higher-level challenges, players are encouraged to artificially lower their effectiveness, which undermines the core progression loop of the game.
"
The essence of an Action RPG lies in character progression and empowerment. MF directly contradict this principle by incentivizing players to weaken their characters in order to obtain better loot. Instead of focusing on becoming stronger to tackle higher-level challenges, players are encouraged to artificially lower their effectiveness, which undermines the core progression loop of the game.

This train of thought ran out of fuel before reaching its final destination. You passed a few points of interest though. People play MF to acquire currency and chase items to sell and accumulate to then make builds that completely satisfy the conditions of your argument. Outside of bots and RMT, people are not dragons hoarding and irrationally protecting wealth. They do it to then make builds that are just beyond ridiculous like Belton's omni build. Or to then have a go at creating a mirror service.

This is the first time I played MF, and I won't play it again because the playstyle sucks tremendously. I exclusively play this game for the power fantasy you mentioned, though I recognised the potential for the fantasy to reach new limits if I invested 3 months into affection league (I started a month late).
Last edited by hmcg020 on Mar 14, 2024, 4:08:46 PM
MF isn't particularly more expensive than any other optimised build except for extreme demand caused by its extreme results you are doing the exact same thing you are castigating others for by taking extreme outliers then applying them to everyone else.

Most players aren't paying 500 div for an extra 2% rarity even though the most dedicated MF'ers will.

PoE is an extremely easy game to glass cannon with very few drawbacks so its exactly as ShamelessWhiteKnight says about it contradicting the design principle, this is identical in practice to bossing characters (the MF of specific drop content) where they have a borderline unusable character but it kills any boss in one hit so the actual characteristics are irrelevant compared to its purpose.

MF isn't intended to operate like that, its supposed to be a tangible tradeoff much like adding layers of delirium to a map - more juice, more difficulty. This isn't the case right now due to the content of the game being outdated compared to the methods of consuming it.

Overall though MF isn't going anywhere, it would take a fundamental design change to address what I mentioned above as really its interconnected to the existing problems of the game transitioning to full zoomer. I'd expect MF to be substantially different in PoE2 however where they get to have another tilt at the same problem. I'd never advocate removing MF either, its a build choice and it can add some really solid depth when it has the correct tradeoff.

Just in this leagues terms it should have only been the very best MF builds that could even do 10k+ wildwood juice and it simply wasn't, no tradeoff, no point.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info