PSA: Names during ExileCon Qualifier Races

"
60x7 wrote:
Did you know that if free speech offends you, that means it's working.

Exactly, if one is to get offended by a reminder of rules and TOS, they were breaking them to begin with.
"
TwentyFiveEX wrote:
So weird this is specifically targeting streaming events and not, general day-to-day player misbehavior.. You'd think those are not different contexts, with regard to terms of service violating behavior but here we are.

This. I see a lot of bigotry or hate speech in nicknames or even in hideouts that it worries me that it's technically not allowed, but still allowed and just swept under the rug. This post confirms that they generally allow this stuff but have to be more strict for the event due to optics. Why allow at all?
"
Zuzanne wrote:
I see a lot of bigotry or hate speech in nicknames or even in hideouts that it worries me that it's technically not allowed, but still allowed and just swept under the rug. This post confirms that they generally allow this stuff but have to be more strict for the event due to optics. Why allow at all?

I think GGG change inappropriate character names (I saw posts of affected people), they just don't actively hunt them. If you see a name you think breaks the ToS, you can report it in-game (right-click). I think there's even a separate option for offensive names.
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
So I read through 3 pages of posts and no one seems to know what had led to this PSA? C'mon! There must be someone who knows!
"
60x7 wrote:

hate speech isn't free speech
"
TwentyFiveEX wrote:
So weird this is specifically targeting streaming events and not, general day-to-day player misbehavior.. You'd think those are not different contexts, with regard to terms of service violating behavior but here we are.

That's what I was thinking myself considering I traded with a dude multiple times one league with the character name (and I'll just paraphrase since it was THAT bad) that was literally "I fornicated my sister" one word each word capitalized.

The worst part was they were trading in currency exchanges so I seen them almost everyday and traded with them multiple times throughout that entire league. Believe the league was Metamorph or Blight. Maybe the TOS was more lax back then?

And that's one of the most egregious standouts that's not even speaking of the countless others nearly as bad I see each and every single league, hell pretty much daily when I'm trading a lot. From racist names to hyper sexual names you name it people do it every league.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
"
DragonSound wrote:
"
60x7 wrote:

That's exactly what it is lol.
IGN: Quantin
Steam: Testy31
"
DragonSound wrote:
"
60x7 wrote:

uhmm.. yes it is. but path of exile isn't a platform for free speech. It is a video game.
An important point raised in the comments of a video of the 2nd qualifier pointed out that, in streamed events promoted BY GGG, highlighting potentially offensive character names would be negative publicity for PoE and GGG. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
this is why we cant have nice things, guys

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info