Is all our fancy gear (in standard) going to become obsolete when GGG announces PoE 2?

I know PoE 1/2 share the same endgame. And I have seen unprecedented power creep over the last 2 leagues. (On mirror tier gear specifically, (1)+(2) below make old harvest with 6 t1's or triple influences look like mid tier items now)

(1) Vivid Vulture - Allowing perfect 3 mod synth bases

(2) Crucible giving us the ability to add 5 MORE nodes to a perfect synth base.

So I am assuming GGG allowed (1)+(2) over the last two leagues because it won't matter in a few months with POE 2 nearing completion. I am predicting that POE 2 gear is going to be so "different" it makes POE 1 gear look obsolete.

Right now I am guessing the new socket system will not work with old gear making it not very desirable to use old items.

But that is just my predictions/fears^

Any PoE old timers with some "big brain" thoughts got any predictions about what will happen? Thanks and I appreciate the conversation.

Last edited by BeeepBooopBeeepBooop on Apr 25, 2023, 2:48:49 AM
Last bumped on May 6, 2023, 6:26:38 PM
I would guess there will be both- old and new, but new skill gems wont slot into old gear and vice versa. There might be also vendor recipe to update gear, but not sure on this one.

It would be truly horrible if they decide just to delete old items or disable them, but its not entirely impossible since we had infamous divine exalt swap with no existing orb swap which killed most of the accumulated value in standard.
That would be an interesting way to keep the backwards compatibility. To allow "old skill gems" to work and new skill gems to not slot into old armors.

And would slowly make all mirrored gear in standard worthless. But it would take some time for it to be completely useless.

I hope they would not do a div <-> ex swap type thing. That would piss off another set of "average joe" players in standard. With the div/ex swap they targeted people hoarding wealth but even then they had a reason for it. (Most uniques were basically worthless unless, now if you find a unique with good rolls it is worth something most of the time) But that felt really bad if you had 30ex to your name and lost 90% of your account value over night.

Last edited by BeeepBooopBeeepBooop on Apr 25, 2023, 11:24:04 AM
Why do you think there will be old and new gems at the same time??
I can't imagine GGG will work with 2 different active gem versions!

Ok, I don't know anything new about PoE 2.

Known is:

Items (weapons and armors) get a fix number of colored sockets instead of 1-4 or 1-6:

2hd: 4
1hd: 2
chest: 2
else: 1 (3x)

Gives usualy a sum of 9 sockets.

These sockets are for skill gems only.
Each skill gem get up to 6 (always linked) sockets for support gems which are stored inside the gem.
Looked like socket number increases with gem level and 6th socket could be special and to be achieved more difficulty.
Exception for aura skill gems so that more active gems are allowed?
Fusing orbs will be gone and be changed to jeweller orbs.

Comments:
So probably these support sockets could have a different color than their active gem?
Or else support gems don't have a color any longer or have more than 1 color at a time?
No details known about transformation process and special items like unset rings or pseudo links.

GGG had not changed old items in patches most times.
They had "created" many legendary (old) items and sometimes reduced their value by introducing much better newer ones. But many legendary items were stronger than actual ones.

They had changed base items a few times what resulted in small changes mostly.
Exceptions some years ago: 2hd weapon base damage

Only some unique item changes changed existing items when GGG changed the "function" of a unique mod and not the value range of new unqiues.
Only a very few times that happened to a not unique mod.

So I don't expect great losses to existing items EXCEPT to 6L items.

GGG allowed some very powerful items in some old leagues as were mentioned above.
But they never did anything to weaken or even destroy that items.
And I think the number of these super items is very low.

They killed Harvest nearly ... ok that they did.

Balance in standard is a 3rd level goal at best :-)
Last edited by Jerexil on Apr 25, 2023, 12:51:29 PM
"
That would be an interesting way to keep the backwards compatibility. To allow "old skill gems" to work and new skill gems to not slot into old armors.

And would slowly make all mirrored gear in standard worthless. But it would take some time for it to be completely useless.

I hope they would not do a div <-> ex swap type thing. That would piss off another set of "average joe" players in standard. With the div/ex swap they targeted people hoarding wealth but even then they had a reason for it. (Most uniques were basically worthless unless, now if you find a unique with good rolls it is worth something most of the time) But that felt really bad if you had 30ex to your name and lost 90% of your account value over night.

I think if they keep all the old items and gems unchanged, then it is more likely that they will just created separate Standard environment for PoE2 and rebrand current Standard to Legacy Standard or something like that.
"
I know PoE 1/2 share the same endgame. And I have seen unprecedented power creep over the last 2 leagues. (On mirror tier gear specifically, (1)+(2) below make old harvest with 6 t1's or triple influences look like mid tier items now)

(1) Vivid Vulture - Allowing perfect 3 mod synth bases

(2) Crucible giving us the ability to add 5 MORE nodes to a perfect synth base.

So I am assuming GGG allowed (1)+(2) over the last two leagues because it won't matter in a few months with POE 2 nearing completion. I am predicting that POE 2 gear is going to be so "different" it makes POE 1 gear look obsolete.

Right now I am guessing the new socket system will not work with old gear making it not very desirable to use old items.

But that is just my predictions/fears^

Any PoE old timers with some "big brain" thoughts got any predictions about what will happen? Thanks and I appreciate the conversation.

old gear has been made obsolete multiple times
(سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س (سಥ益ಥ)س
"
RitualMurder wrote:

old gear has been made obsolete multiple times

This is the answer.

Prepare to be at least partially restarting when PoE2 hits.
I doubt much will change, PoE2 isn't a new game, many of the features and now core league content will carry forward.

Sure skill gems not requiring links on gear will change some stuff but i doubt it will be by much
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Obsolete? To a certain degree, maybe? Nothing drastic, though. Your gear will still be good enough to do all content, and progress towards the "new possibilities".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
2 cents here,

Much like we have weapon swaps and different tabs for items and their MTX, it's possible that we could have a PoE 1 vs PoE 2 swap, relative to what version we're currently in. This would allow visibility and control over each version's character development, without having to actually be in that version.

(I'm laughing before I type this sentence...though) I'm sure it won't be too complex.

I have 2 mirrored items after playing this game for over 10 years, mostly on. I'm sincerely hoping these items don't become worthless when PoE2 comes out, but I'll play it regardless.

GG, GGG

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info