"Target additional nearby enemy" doesn't work if the additional enemy is too nearby.

The 'target additional nearby enemy' mechanic has a blindspot-radius around the attacker. If an enemy is nearby but within this nearby-er radius it won't be targeted by the mechanic.

Example sources of the mechanic:

• Ancestral call: "Supports melee strike skills, causing them to also strike at extra targets simultaneously. The extra targets must be a minimum distance from the user." <- the only source that appears to mention a minimum distance requirement.
  • Attack mastery: "Non-Vall Strike Skills target one additional nearby Enemy"
  • Ancestral cry: "Exerted Strikes target 2 additional Enemies"
  • Tribal Fury (legacy): "Strike Skills target 1 additional nearby Enemy"

Media and related demonstrating this bug:
Paint illustration of bug:
Last edited by SirGuySW on Apr 14, 2023, 5:25:44 AM
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2023, 5:50:49 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I believe this is working as intended, as the additional nearby enemy must be a certain minimum distance away from you to be targeted.
"
taggedjc wrote:
the additional nearby enemy must be a certain minimum distance away
That's exactly my report. :| Do you know where (if) that distinction is published officially? It doesn't appear to be attached to any of the gems/skills/passives/etc.

Attacking with a weapon (straight, no 'additional') doesn't appear to have a minimum distance requirement. This deadzone only seems to apply to the additional targets. It's counter-intuitive to me (and it's absolutely terrible to play with: the whole screen can get blown up but that mob that's chilling under your arm is safe).

Edit: Or I'm just blind... It's on Ancestral call:

"The extra targets must be a minimum distance from the user."

• Ancestral Call Support - "The extra targets must be a minimum distance from the user."
  • Ancestral Cry - No mention of a deadzone.
  • Attack Mastery (Non-Vaal strike skills target 1 additional nearby enemy) - No mention of a deadzone.
  • Searing Exarch Implicits for gloves - Unable to test.

• Presumably these (and any other sources) all follow the Ancestral Call rules and require a minimum distance from the attacker. So just another gotcha if the player isn't intimately familiar with every source of a mechanic. :| What a sadcatpic day.

Thank you taggedjc for mentioning this. I hadn't been using ancestral call so didn't doublecheck the fine print on it until now.
    Last edited by SirGuySW on Apr 14, 2023, 4:58:50 AM
    I'll see if I can't find more specific stuff on it, but I'm easily distracted and poor memory, so here's my understanding:

This is so that using "Strike skills target an additional nearby enemy" doesn't promote "Strike near at enemy but not directly on top of them" as the necessary strategy for full dps for skills like Molten Strike.
    "
    Jadian wrote:
    This is so that using "Strike skills target an additional nearby enemy" doesn't promote "Strike near at enemy but not directly on top of them" as the necessary strategy for full dps for skills like Molten Strike.
    hmm, My observation has been: the additional strikes don't actually occur unless there is an additional enemy, and then only once per enemy (including the real attack).

ie:

If the player has 10 additional strikes and 1 enemy on the screen the player can attack the enemy to waste 10 strikes or attack near the enemy to use 1 strike to hit the enemy and waste 9 strikes and the real attack (the real attack whiffs if it doesn't hit an enemy).
    It looks like Ancestral Call was introduced (in 3.1.0) without the minimum distance line. That clarification was added in 3.4.3F:

"
    The Ancestral Call Support gem now specifies that extra targets must be a minimum distance from the user. There is no functional change.
    So it looks like the minimum distance was always a part of the skill (or at least was prior to 3.4.3F--with no mention in the patch notes for 3.4.0, 3.3.0, or 3.2.0).

It seems like the minimum distance is also sneakily a part of other sources of 'target a nearby enemy'. :|
    Last edited by SirGuySW on Apr 14, 2023, 5:48:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info