Diablo 4 is POE KILLER !!.

hoho if you say so.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
less post counts on this post means that poe's advocates have retired and are waiting for D4...
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I don't think Blizzard sponsorship money will make much difference. It's the audiences/ viewer volume. If "insert top PoE streamer" gets 60k viewers from D4, and 15k-20k from PoE, that's a no brainer.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Wow some BIG copium here. I guess we will see shortly and find out who is correct on the streaming. Sure there will be launch sponships to promote the game, but thats only temporary. 99% of those people would have been streaming D4 either way post launch. I suspect D4 will be just fine in a PoE side by side comparison lol..

big copium when even a more known big streamer like asmongold plays d4 with less viewers than average. Same as a lower viewer count on some of the poe streamer haha

Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on May 12, 2023, 8:36:38 PM
"
Pashid wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I don't think Blizzard sponsorship money will make much difference. It's the audiences/ viewer volume. If "insert top PoE streamer" gets 60k viewers from D4, and 15k-20k from PoE, that's a no brainer.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Wow some BIG copium here. I guess we will see shortly and find out who is correct on the streaming. Sure there will be launch sponships to promote the game, but thats only temporary. 99% of those people would have been streaming D4 either way post launch. I suspect D4 will be just fine in a PoE side by side comparison lol..

big copium when even a more known big streamer like asmongold plays d4 with less viewers than average. Same as a lower viewer count on some of the poe streamer haha

Well that's probably because people were actually playing and not looking at streamers since it was free ? Most people watch streamers to get an idea about what to expect, but they watched them in the first 2 betas...now it's free and everyone can play and not watch them.
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
"
Vendetta wrote:

Well that's probably because people were actually playing and not looking at streamers since it was free ? Most people watch streamers to get an idea about what to expect, but they watched them in the first 2 betas...now it's free and everyone can play and not watch them.

Hence the overall viewer count of D4 is just as high as during the "closed" betas?
Sure everyone's playing haha
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on May 13, 2023, 7:01:04 AM
the endless fascination we hve with player counts, money made, streamer views etc is so cringe.

is that how we really evaluate things in our life? what am i going to eat for breakfast? oh wait, let me check the sales data on breakfast cereal, i wanna be sure im only eating the most popular flavour. gonna go clothes shopping later need to replace my nike trainers because i see more pairs of adidas being worn now...

we are arpg players, why on earth are we in an indie arpg forum trying to validate choices of game via popularity statistics? its this pathetic thing everyones been dragged into by people attaching their ego to which games they do and dont play and then looking to validate their choice, and therefor themselves, through some kind of objective metric that proves they are 'right'. its just an endless nonsense of trying to inject a rational honest interpretation of data into the conversation when lets all be real, the premise of conversation itself is childish, pointless and beneath us to begin with.

how about we just talk about the games themselves? are they good games or not, whats right whats wrong with the actual games? popularity in films, music, books, food, anyone wanna brag about eating a macdonalds cheeseburger while listening to rhianna before going to watch an adam sandler film? no? because all those things are utter trash? yeah, they are. no one really believes popularity is any kind of measurement for the quality of art. ok, lets grow up a bit then and talk about whats actually good about these games?
poe killer indeed

i am currently level 51 with a 'meta build ' twisted blades rogue and the game is just slow as hell (nice pun) :

-grinding world quests over and over
- dungeons you have probably 50 to 100 monsters density maximum
- nightmares sigils or 'maps' : 1-2 affixes, still 50 to 100 monsters density, you kill 5-6 together then move to next pack
- story done in 9h and i watched all cinematics and quests .
- whole gear is irrelevant after 3-4 level due to scaling

pros :
can play most builds due to the differents legendaries effects
good graphics and musics

i will play for a few more weeks until probably level 75-80 then come back to poe , i dont see myself grinding dungeons that feel like t1 white strand forever
40/40 Exiles ripping through DIV and dismissing it is a bit like a meth-head saying coffee is too weak. For someone accustomed to the strong stuff in frequent doses, it surely is. For the vast majority of people though? Coffee usually does the trick, which is why you will see a lot of people still playing DIV long after you've treated it like a super watered-down PoE and left it quivering on the floor in utter ruin.

Neither side is wrong of course: play however you want, or don't even -- it's just important to keep perspective, else you might think a heck of a lot of people are losers and filthy casuals just because they aren't into your particular poison. That, obviously, IS wrong.

DIV not being a PoE killer would probably be more of a problem were it trying to do so. So far it feels more like it's trying to chase the Elden Ring dragon (with stuff like full open world+dungeons, limited flasks thst can be crafted, one time dungeon rewards, hell even the writing has some of that FromSoft sparsity to it) and I am there for it. No one would ever want to make a game that could legitimately kill PoE because that ge would be too much like PoE -- not even Last Epoch went for it. Instead it remains a flawed but admirable attempt on fulfilling some of GGG's original promises, promises they long ago abandoned in favour of whatver PoE is now.

Anyway breakfast done. Back to Sanctuary. Ja na.

The name says it all.
I'm enjoying it, but I can't help but play it more out of academic interest than anything else.

Some amazing art, as expected. Glad they chose to bust out the nonsense megastructure dungeons in Act 1.

The big one for me: character builds feel very...small. Last skills in the tree are passives? Feels like a mistake. I'm hitting them in Act 2? Feels like a mistake. I know there's a 'paragon tree' to come, though based on what I've seen, I'm not expecting great things.

As part of that, the secondary development tracks each class gets don't look great so far. I'm playing Druid and the promise of four animal-themed bonus tracks to choose from sounded cool, until I unlocked them and they're all just stuff like "+30% critical damage" or "+10 spirit". There should be loads of conditional, semi-active, build-changing boosts in here that help set classes apart from each other.

Main story stuff is not exactly earning its keep. Dropping breadcrumbs to string you along is normal but D4's breadcrumbs seem a bit undercooked. Yes, we're following Lilith, no she's not here, she is doing mysterious things as part of a Plan to do something no doubt bad.

Feels conflicted between wanting to be mechanically simple (eg. "Vulnerable" showing up everywhere) and having pages and pages of stat listings the regular character screen doesn't show. Can't even see my elemental resistances without scrolling down past a bunch of who knows what.

Odd default control choices. The skills I actually use every fight are pushed up off the QWER row to 1234 by...an emote wheel on E? Changeable, obviously, but baffling nonetheless.

World is pretty but too dedicated to being bleak to actually feel lived-in, and if it doesn't feel lived in then what's the point of the seamless open world at all? Needs farmhouses, caravans etc. Yeah yeah it's not The Elder Scrolls, but I didn't make them go open world, they chose that.

Open world vibe recalls every other open-world game ever. A little bit less ticking off of map markers than you might find in an Ubisoft game but "collect all the shrines!" still feels kind of obnoxious.

Not hating having other players running around, not loving it either. Zero buy-in/expectations in terms of cooperation, time commitment, active teamwork etc is nice.

Combat is much the same as D3, which is to say, responsive, chunky and reasonably satisfying, if a bit too damage-spongy in places. Storm druid feels a little weak so far but I'd rather that than be steamrolling everything at least. GGG would do well to look at melee hits being able to involve a little movement to solve the unrealistic stand-whiff-stand-whiff issue POE has always had.

Why is my inventory full of gems, shrink the things or give me a pouch for them like all the absurd amounts of leather and ore I'm apparently carting around.

For me, at least, not a "POE killer" by any stretch, but I'm sure it will eventually eat a chunk of my time all the same.
Now is launched and can be say it is magnificent !!. History, Melee, Cutscenes, Builds, Soundtrack, Background Music are to another world !!!!. D4 Wins !!.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info