I played 30min of Diablo IV and I already have a BIG REQUEST to GGG.

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Twenty years later, still identifying items in an arpg...

already for over 500 years people read paper printed books when they could read them on ebook readers, right? If something is old it doesn't have to be bad. What is wrong with gamers nowadays, "few years old mechanic = must be bad".
PoE player: "I do not condone of profile shaming but if you have a private profile its also considered disrespectful" - I am disrespectful because I want privacy, I value it higher -_-
"
Mendujo wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Twenty years later, still identifying items in an arpg...

already for over 500 years people read paper printed books when they could read them on ebook readers, right? If something is old it doesn't have to be bad. What is wrong with gamers nowadays, "few years old mechanic = must be bad".

Bad and outdated are not the same things. It's just unnecessary at this point, and offers little value.

Now if you tell me it's the anticipation of IDing something unique that could be multiple differnt things on that base (like soj in Diablo) OK. But even in PoE the artwork takes away the mystery.

Meh, idc much, but they probably could do away with it, and nobody would have an issue.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Now if you tell me it's the anticipation of IDing something unique that could be multiple differnt things on that base (like soj in Diablo) OK. But even in PoE the artwork takes away the mystery.

There is a big business in UnID items, like watcher's eye, also scrolls gives nice touch for resource management in first acts of new league. Ad augusta per angusta.
PoE player: "I do not condone of profile shaming but if you have a private profile its also considered disrespectful" - I am disrespectful because I want privacy, I value it higher -_-
"
Mendujo wrote:
If something is old it doesn't have to be bad. What is wrong with gamers nowadays, "few years old mechanic = must be bad".

Cause they see something in a different game and expect every other company to follow up with the same exact same approache. Stupid Z gen gamer these days lol.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
ID'ing if the item to do so is plentiful is the lootbox mechanic of an ARPG, its intended to create addictive excitement when you hit them scrolls and find a crazy item.

Modern ARPGs have pushed loot drops to the absurd level however and so this kind of rush simply doesn't exist. We still get excited when a great item turns up in PoE for example but it isn't in any way tied to the identification process. This is primarily due to the drop rate for good in PoE being so unbelievably bad the negativity of constant ID to shit overwhelms the few gems.

This is a long winded way of me saying ID'ing serves no purpose if scrolls are common, or loot is common. PoE could cut them and aside from performance implications It would make next to no difference to any of us from an excitement perspective, would lead to a very small but noticeable increase in overall player power.

They worked in D2 therefore they are in PoE however at some point designers need to accept times change, itemisation is completely different when everybody has access to an item database with full item weightings and all the uniques. Their D2 purpose is no longer possible.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
We still get excited when a great item turns up in PoE for example but it isn't in any way tied to the identification process. This is primarily due to the drop rate for good in PoE being so unbelievably bad the negativity of constant ID to shit overwhelms the few gems.

Can you explain how "we" are not excited getting 60 UnID Watcher's Eyes or any other gamba items and plenty of "we" watching identification process on twitch and youtube? It might be something wrong with your "we" and "any of us" definition.
I would thought it would be free respecs before level 60 that was on top of most peoples lists.
One improvement GGG can make is to add a casting time of 1/2/3 seconds to identification for magic/rare/uniques. The added anticipation will provide a lot of excitement. Pretty sure hardcore fans will love this.
I quit poe a couple months ago and haven't been here since, but played 15min of D4 (before disconnecting(for the second time)), and just realized how much I prefer poe to diablo. Like man, I love poe.

I finally understand why Chris was so smug about "D4 won't be an issue :')" he of course had insider information and knew D4 would turn out to be complete shit in terms of an ARPG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info