Announcing Ruthless

I just know I will hate this mode, yet I want to try it...
3.23 is the best league of all time (an absolute banger)
"
gandhar0 wrote:

ps. I think Ruthless is still way easier than custom leagues.
In them you can permanently disable certain item rarities, flask recharges and make bosses way more difficult while Ruthless is basically just a slowed down gearing process.
Once you go above a certain threshold(different for each skills/builds) you gonna destroy content as it was before, since bosses are still the same.

I don't think this will happen, though, not for most.
Remember that optimised gear typically depends on buying a lot of ingredients (orbs etc) in bulk for crafting items: if these things are no longer dropping much, who'a going to be selling them? People can still play the same strategies, but it's much harder and slower, and there's much more opportunity cost in every orb, as they take longer to earn. Sure, players willing to put in 14 hours/day will advance faster, but who will they trade with if no one has anything? And an item might be "worth" 200c or 2 divs in regular league, but what if no one has more than 5c to offer because there's no chaos recipe?

Maybe if you play this in Standard it would end up at the same point, because eventually you'd get the necessary gear to run the yellow maps to run the legion to get the timeless jweels to ... but who would be playing Ruthless outside of leagues? That *would* be futile.
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
Very "old" player here.

This does sound enticing.

It could restore that sort of gratifying feeling in finding items that so many modern ARPGs have lost through the mindless abundance of (mostly useless) drops.

SSF Ruthless promises to be a rewarding experience.
I'm very into the idea. The fast paced gameplay of normal game is too all consuming for the mind. I'm a coder by profession, so I can't just obsess over clearing 20 maps during lunch or something, then get back to work without some sort of mental toll. Jumping into a difficult map to complete here or there, is more rewarding to me than clearing 50 maps of little to no difficulty and a much lighter strain on the mind.

I signed up, so hopefully I can get in to test it. I'd love to give my feedback on this new mode, which I'd especially enjoy much more than the original game mode.
Last edited by funplayer on Nov 2, 2022, 12:28:15 PM
Sounds like poe 1.0 to me, but with QoL added to it, and something about flasks, good thing there are master nodes for adding flask charges passivly.
Not recovering so what, use Aura, not gaining flasks so what use master nodes, not gaining exp, grind in the campaign. it honestly sounds easier then PoE 1.0.
I would much rather see a full time mode with no magic or rare drops, where everything had to be crafted...but this is cool.
I'm pretty sure I can Stream this without getting in on the alpha.

All I do is have Chris's laughing face on my screen as my web cam records me spewing endless profanity. No need for any real game play to be shown.

Alternatively, I could just stream my web cam footage with no game play as I shut my junk in a panini press and then have someone stand on it. Again no need for actual game play footage.

NDA? This may be required in case I invent new profanity that GGG claims ownership of, as part of their Alpha test waiver.
I mean, sure, it looks like it could be interesting.

But everything mentioned in this post doesn't make the gameplay HARDER, it just makes it more TEDIOUS. It's not difficult if you can just grind 4h of an Act 2 zone to get the same equipment you could get in 2 minutes running the same zone outside Ruthless mode.

It also kills build diversity even more. The concept of having to drop the skill gems is novel, but it's absolutely FUCKED, because you're depending on RNG to finish your build, and you can't easily respec your character to actually use the stuff you dropped, so you're on a constant state of dropping stuff and praying to god that you'll get the one thing that will make your build tick (and then, create the character that is going to use that). Again, not difficult, just boring. Also: MTX on movement skills? Gone down the drain. That shiny Venom Gyre MTX you just bought? Wasted.

The idea has potential, but atm it just seems like a literal waste of time.
everything you do before you improve loot is just a distraction. a smarter loot system is what the game needs more than anything, and while you guys are supposedly working on it it's clearly not being prioritized correctly.
"
james50a wrote:
Holy crap, this is literally everything wrong with the game amplified..... the fun in this game was choice and variance not the repeated deaths.. Taking away stuff to make gear with odds as terrible as they already are ain't any more rewarding than signing up for a lottery ticket with worse odds...its just demoralizing even for your ssf fan base.... Completely wrong direction to take the game

Ffs dude, ur not force in any way to play it if u don't like how it sounds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info