[3.18] 30+ million DPS Poisonous Concoction | Pathfinder



This is not a build guide, it's more of a PSA now that I've managed to push PConc to what I think is a respectable level of power. 3.18 is the first time I've played this build. I originally intended to use it to league start and then transition to Tornado Shot, but I liked it so much I stayed with it. The flask theme appeals to me, and it has a very snappy, responsive feel.

The build smashes maps, and is particularly effective for Delving and Heist due to the movement speed and narrow layouts of those mechanics. General bossing is also ludicrously easy. The high DoT damage lets you load up the poison stacks and then concentrate on moving to avoid mechanics. The consistently high movespeed makes it smooth and simple.

The nice defensive layers make up for when you - like me - mess up. As you can see from the videos, the damage is more than enough to deal with all the standard bosses. Ubers are tougher.

It's simple to play. There are only two buttons - right click to throw potions, and another to trigger Plague Bearer (left-click to move triggers Withering Step automatically). Flasks are on auto and take care of themselves.

Gameplay Videos
Spoiler


These are non-curated videos, and represent the average gameplay experience. I'm not mechanically focused, and rely on a build to do most of the work (it's an ARPG after all).

T15 Crimson Temple

Drox, Baran, Veritania, Al-Hezmin

Sirus, Elder, Shaper.

Uber Elder down pretty easily, despite forgetting to untick Maven witnessing - who kept healing both Shaper and Elder - and activate record (hence no video). It turns out that running around in a panic throwing potions randomly with 36 million DPS destroys everything in the arena.

Delve


A few quick points

1. Methodology

The main idea behind this build is that the poison stacks applied by PConc are not hard limited (with one proviso, explained in a section below), so it benefits immensely from IAS and AoE. The more poison stacks you can apply and the faster you can apply them (and the longer they last), the more damage you do. A faster movement speed is also highly desirable. With that in mind, Frenzy charges fit the requirements perfectly, and the build provides as many charges as possible while maintaining a decent level of defense.

There are a few moving parts, and I've dropped some explanation of them in the Notes section of the PoB. I've copied those notes here:

Spoiler
1. You need to get to 21 AoE radius, or preferably 22 (52%) to make certain all 9 flask charges hit single targets. You can read more about that here.

However, it must be said that it's very hard to determine what is happening with flask overlap and AoE with PConc, because we are utilizing both GVS (which throws 4 + 1 flasks in parallel), and GMP (which throws 4 or 5 + 1 flasks in a fan configuration). From my own testing it seems that 10 flasks with ~22+ AoE is a sweet spot, and the closer your target is the better.

2. You need to get some added Frenzy charge duration because of the reduced duration on the gloves. The formula for how much you need to prevent the charges ever dropping is:

50% + (10 x #Frenzy Charges)%

That means you need 120% for 7 Frenzy charges (130% for 8), which is covered by +100% from Charge Mastery in the tree, and +20% Frenzy charge duration from implicits on two cluster jewels. There are also several +20% duration minor nodes easily accessible in the tree if you can't get it on gear. Gear is preferable until you can run an Unnatural Instinct jewel, which picks up one of those nodes for free.

3. I'm double stacking Whither via the Alt Poisonous Concoction gem as well as Withering Step, because it's such a massive multiplier to our DPS and the more stacks on mobs the better. Using a totem setup is tedious (as well as consuming 3 sockets, for which the build is a bit starved as we lack a full 6 link due to not wielding a weapon). Of course, a totem setup is always possible if you prefer.

4. Don't forget Herald of Agony (a huge damage boost), and Despair on Hit on a ring.

5. Dash + Second Wind may seem a bit strange, as the cooldown conflicts with Withering Step. However, in practice (and you will get used to the timing), it is possible to use Dash toward the end of the cooldown. The build is fast enough on its own, but it's much better to have it than not. Shield Charge is too clunky for me, and feels horrible most of the time. However, it can replace Dash if preferred.



2. Other Versions

It's important to say this is not my build, though I do think I've managed to push it a little further and in a slightly different direction than others have. I've looked at almost every version of it I could find, taken ideas from them, and made my own tweaks to suit my preferred playstyle. If you want to see those versions, simply do a search in YouTube, and watch for hours.

The other version on these forums (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3230482) is about as far as you can push things and is a proper build guide (also, if you tick Focus in PoB Configuration as you probably should, it gives ~60 million DPS not the 35 million advertised). But bear in mind the itemization is significantly harder. All the items in this version are relatively easy to get. The most expensive item is Replica Farrul's Fur.


3. A Problem

GGG have a big code issue with DoT's, and have implemented a "temporary" solution that effectively hard caps the amount of damage that poison builds can do. You can read about that in a Reddit post by the author of the other build here.

The TL;DR is that you can never do more than 100 million DPS to a single target before any mitigation is calculated. It probably won't affect the build in normal single play, but it does in groups.


4. Improvements

I'm sure this build can be pushed further - and part of my reason for posting here is to see if others can do that!

I've spent around 70ex so far, though you can start the build with much less investment than that - probably less than 10ex. The final final version includes a Mageblood (which fits the build's theme perfectly). I'm currently working towards one.

If you try this build, good luck, and if you find improvements please post them here!

PoB's

Spoiler


32+ million DPS Avatar of Slaughter version: https://pastebin.com/8TgrYSD6
37+ million DPS Quartz Infusion bossing version: https://pastebin.com/rpipt9wp

Note: both versions work for everything in the game. They only differ slightly in their focus. All the gameplay videos were recorded using the Avatar of Slaughter version - which has a slightly faster/snappier feel. If you prefer, you can stick with the Avatar of Slaughter skill tree and simply swap out Inspired Learning for the Brutal Restraint, picking up an extra ~4.5 million single target DPS for bosses (this is what I do).

The boss version uses a very specific Brutal Restraint jewel that gives 4 x 20% Increased Damage with Poison mods instead of an Inspired Learning. I found the jewel using the following (amazing) 3rd party tool that has finally cracked the stupidly obscure Timeless Jewel code: https://github.com/KeshHere/POE-Timeless-Jewel-Finder. I recommend it.



General Gear

Spoiler
Items:



Jewels:

Last edited by t0lkien on Aug 7, 2022, 2:01:07 PM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2022, 10:49:08 PM
Are you sure you have enough power to start determination?
"
d1049630894 wrote:
Are you sure you have enough power to start determination?


I'm not sure what you mean, but the Unnatural Instinct version (which I've just transitioned to now) runs Determination, Malevolence, Purity of Elements, Defiance Banner, Herald of Agony, and level 1 Clarity - all with 2 mana to spare. It's also chaos capped, finally.

PoB: https://pastebin.com/JFu6vxZc

Last edited by t0lkien on Jun 29, 2022, 3:46:27 AM
"
t0lkien wrote:
"
d1049630894 wrote:
Are you sure you have enough power to start determination?


I'm not sure what you mean, but the Unnatural Instinct version (which I've just transitioned to now) runs Determination, Malevolence, Purity of Elements, Defiance Banner, Herald of Agony, and level 1 Clarity - all with 2 mana to spare. It's also chaos capped, finally.

PoB: https://pastebin.com/Z9QtTRLJ


I saw in the previous Poe that the power was only 131, so I replaced inspired learning with timeless jewel. And I can't open clarity. I think it's because my belt doesn't increase magic value, and my level is only 94. I wonder if I should change the plaster to sovereignty? I used some equipment left by myself to assemble, so I modified some of the equipment, but it hasn't been assembled yet, and the jewelry hasn't been purchased yet. Oh, I almost forgot that I only have level 3 ambient support. Can you check my Poe and give some suggestions?
I use translation software, so I think I may not express clearly in some places. Anyway, thank you for your reply. :D

https://pastebin.com/JeMPeBj4
30mln dps IS SO BIG!
"
d1049630894 wrote:
I saw in the previous Poe that the power was only 131, so I replaced inspired learning with timeless jewel. And I can't open clarity. I think it's because my belt doesn't increase magic value, and my level is only 94. I wonder if I should change the plaster to sovereignty? I used some equipment left by myself to assemble, so I modified some of the equipment, but it hasn't been assembled yet, and the jewelry hasn't been purchased yet. Oh, I almost forgot that I only have level 3 ambient support. Can you check my Poe and give some suggestions?
I use translation software, so I think I may not express clearly in some places. Anyway, thank you for your reply. :D

https://pastebin.com/JeMPeBj4


I'm no expert, but here are my suggestions:

Your build looks pretty good, but you are missing a couple of important things.

The first thing you need to do is get the Grants Level 20 Aspect of the Cat Skill on one of your rare items (I can't see it anywhere). I put it on my belt. Without that you are not getting any of the benefit from your Farrul's Fur, which makes Aspect of the Cat free.



The next thing I would say is get your AoE radius from 18 to 21 without the use of a Dying Sun. If your character has ascended (the PoB doesn't show it), then you are exactly 21 only when Dying Sun is active. But the extra projectiles don't help single target, and it will drop while you're fighting bosses anyway. When that happens you will lose the AoE and a lot of damage.

If you look at my PoB you will see I have the 12% AoE craft on my neck, and have 5% AoE implicits on 2 of my jewels. That's an extra 22% AoE.



Also you might want to get Non-Channeling Skills Have -# to Total Mana Cost craft on your rare ring, and possibly pick up a Watcher's Eye with Non-Channeling Skills Have -# to Total Mana Cost While Affected by Clarity mod (that's the only reason to run a Clarity gem). Otherwise I think you might run out of ES and mana, especially on bosses.



Apart from that, try to get your Hit Chance to 100%, and work towards getting the Forbidden Flesh and Forbidden Flame jewels with Avatar of the Slaughter on them. They are actually a huge damage, movement speed, and evasion boost.

Last edited by t0lkien on Jun 29, 2022, 3:23:34 AM
"
t0lkien wrote:
"
d1049630894 wrote:
I saw in the previous Poe that the power was only 131, so I replaced inspired learning with timeless jewel. And I can't open clarity. I think it's because my belt doesn't increase magic value, and my level is only 94. I wonder if I should change the plaster to sovereignty? I used some equipment left by myself to assemble, so I modified some of the equipment, but it hasn't been assembled yet, and the jewelry hasn't been purchased yet. Oh, I almost forgot that I only have level 3 ambient support. Can you check my Poe and give some suggestions?
I use translation software, so I think I may not express clearly in some places. Anyway, thank you for your reply. :D

https://pastebin.com/JeMPeBj4


I'm no expert, but here are my suggestions:

Your build looks pretty good, but you are missing a couple of important things.

The first thing you need to do is get the Grants Level 20 Aspect of the Cat Skill on one of your rare items (I can't see it anywhere). I put it on my belt. Without that you are not getting any of the benefit from your Farrul's Fur, which makes Aspect of the Cat free.



The next thing I would say is get your AoE radius from 18 to 21 without the use of a Dying Sun. If your character has ascended (the PoB doesn't show it), then you are exactly 21 only when Dying Sun is active. But the extra projectiles don't help single target, and it will drop while you're fighting bosses anyway. When that happens you will lose the AoE and a lot of damage.

If you look at my PoB you will see I have the 12% AoE craft on my neck, and have 5% AoE implicits on 2 of my jewels. That's an extra 22% AoE.



Also you might want to get Non-Channeling Skills Have -# to Total Mana Cost craft on your rare ring, and possibly pick up a Watcher's Eye with Non-Channeling Skills Have -# to Total Mana Cost While Affected by Clarity mod (that's the only reason to run a Clarity gem). Otherwise I think you might run out of ES and mana, especially on bosses.



Apart from that, try to get your Hit Chance to 100%, and work towards getting the Forbidden Flesh and Forbidden Flame jewels with Avatar of the Slaughter on them. They are actually a huge damage, movement speed, and evasion boost.


Oh, I have reserved some places for skill range and reducing magic consumption, but I forgot the aspect of the cat on the way to find element resistance. I think I need to readjust my belt or ring. Thank you
Hi i got question, how i can max dps in that build?

https://pastebin.com/KQShUfph
Last edited by Jarobot99 on Jun 30, 2022, 7:18:09 AM
"
Jarobot99 wrote:
Hi i got question, how i can max dps in that build?

https://pastebin.com/KQShUfph


Your build and gear look good, but you are lacking a few levels still. You also need to add both Herald of Agony, and Plague Bearer to full DPS calculations (by ticking the "Include in Full DPS" in the Skills section of PoB).

With 3 more levels you can take Dirty Techniques in the tree (and the two minor nodes before it), and 2 more after that you can take Unwaveringly Evil in your Large Cluster Jewel. The final point will activate the last Small Jewel Socket in your Small Cluster Jewel where you can put a damage + life jewel. Then once your Awakened Vicious Projectiles gets to level 5 (it's currently 2), you will have 28+ million DPS. I think the other ~2 million difference between yours and mine is gear related.

However... you are cheating a bit by selecting "9" counts for Poisonous Concoction. You have only 21 AoE, which actually only guarantees 8 flasks overlapping on a single target. You need to get that to 22 to guarantee 9 (see my Note in the OP above).

You might want to try to boost your life and defenses a bit more as you go. You're missing some block on your shield (and the Versatile Combatant notable in the tree), as well as a bit of life. I'd work toward getting to ~5k life.

I had to take Replenishing Remedies in the tree to stop my life flask from running out constantly on bosses. That means I dropped Dirty Techniques. Combined with a ring swap to gain Strength and Chaos Resistance but which lost a +Poison DPS mod, and taking another 9% Spell Suppression, my DPS is back down to 25 million. I'll adjust that up again once I get a Mageblood.

My current PoB is here, if it helps: https://pastebin.com/SRZAYzHZ
Last edited by t0lkien on Jun 30, 2022, 10:36:27 PM
"
t0lkien wrote:


P.S. PoB reports Spell Suppression as 91%, but it's 100% in game (which is the only place it matters). I'm not sure why the difference, some quirk with PoB I haven't figured out.



It's the node "Revenge of the Hunted". The number in PoB is the right one so you need to get 9% more

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info