[3.20] Lightning Trap Saboteur | League Starter | Endgame Bosser | 4+mil dps on a 5link.
I'm planning on something similar, so thanks a ton for the knowledge and notes in this guide :)
Stuff I wanna try to include:
I dunno if the Wurm's Molt secret flask-leech tech will beat Tinkerskin, but it might. The idea is to heal to full life every time you take a hit.
Alternative Ailments (namely Brittle) sound fun, though, and it's not like I have a Badge of the Brotherhood on SSF.
Did you try out Chain with Lightning Trap? In theory it should Chain off Tornado for 1 more hit per throw, as well as sometimes Chain again from another projectile coming back, no?
[3.20] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
[3.20] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
Last edited by CantripN on Jan 29, 2023, 6:35:18 AM
Ok, I may have slightly overinvested in this...
You pretty much need that for Anathema to not beat out the precursor setup. And we lose the CWDT setup too so not sure if its even worth it.
Switched to dual void batteries too now. Had to switch to a spell suppression with grace watchers eye to stay capped, and I've obviously lost a chunk of life. Had to drop a pure damage jewel to cap resists (I do have a resists relic too, but this way was marginally better).
I might drop the whole cluster setup, grab some lightning nodes and still ber able to get a bit more life. But at the moment I actually need the 3% res on the small node to stay capped!
Current PoB https://pobb.in/pFtWTIodCb0u
I've got a spare 4 link now I've dropped the CWDT that I should find a use for. And still not sorted my flasks out....
I have a question regarding uber bosses. How am I supposed to go about capping my spell suppression? I have just acquired these boots to help with bossing while starting to look into end game bosses:
But I have no idea how to cap spell suppression when the main focus on the build has been evasion rating. (I am very uneducated in this game so I am sorry). On a side note, do I even have enough dps to do uber bosses? I was thinking to do uber sirus as it seems most profitable from what I can tell.
My stats tell me I have 10% chance for spell suppression which I imagine is far below ideal. Here is my PoB:https://pastebin.com/MLZQvLcr
If anyone can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.
*Edit: What is this build most viable for? Because it might just be me but I am somewhat inefficient at mapping with this character, although I can insta-phase all bosses I have fought so far. But I believe that the normal bosses are not that profitable which is why I am trying to do uber bosses but this build, at least the way I have done it, is unable to do uber bosses.
Last edited by CheezusCrusty on Jan 30, 2023, 9:28:54 AM
on Jan 30, 2023, 9:17:48 AM
- First thing I noticed is that you seem to have a trap mastery unallocated. The mastery for 30 life on trap trigger is very nice for recovery, and the chance to throw additional traps is also pretty nice if you arent too concerned about your current survivability.
- The rest of your tree looks good, but you are only 93. You can buy access to higher xp safer content to level if you feel stuck at your current level. Examples include Breachstones, certain unique maps such as untainted paradise (offered through kirac) or Coward's Trial, or 5ways (which you can buy carries for relatively reasonable prices on the discord server; The Forbidden Trove)
- Now that you have the key items and some budget to work with, you can start buying better versions of items you already have. A great example jewels. You can use this site to search all the seeds for glorious vanity to find one to your liking. Small passive mods of note include % life, % energy shield, % crit multi, % cast speed, % lightning damage, % spell damage, % spell suppression, or various elemental resistances.
When sharing a link for this site, it does NOT save what passives I have selected. You first want to click on the "Deselect" button, then click on the passives we actually path through to search for seeds specifically relevant to this build. You can add stats to search for, click on the red - sign to remove modifiers you don't care about, and you can choose to put numbers in the min boxes to require jewels with a specific number of nodes with that modifier. (x matches means that seed has that many nodes you selected with modifiers you chose to search for. Generally higher match count means a better jewel)
- Gems. There are a few of note that might be within your price range.
- 21/20 lightning trap. May not be one available at all, or may be 5. Price also varies. This would give you about a million dps, but don't worry too much about it if it breaks your bank. Note that corrupting a gem has only a 12.5% (1/8) chance to go +1 level, as well as a 12.5% chance to lose some amount of quality. https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Sanctum/R6703zWc7
- You can get a skitterbots gem with 20% quality. This increases the movement speed of the skitterbots, meaning an enemy is more likely to be chilled by the time you hit it as the chilling skitterbot will get to them faster.
- You can get an alternate quality frost shield. You can use anomalous for 20% AoE or Divergent for even more damage reduction. Both are reasonable prices if you want to buy a nearly 20% quality uncorrupted (which you can GCP to 20%)
- Anomalous Conductivity would give 10% curse effect. This would give you about 2.2% more damage. Pretty minor upgrade.
- Anomalous Bear Trap has 40% skill effect duration. This increases the duration of the 'take 25% increased damage from traps' debuff.
- If you're really looking for more damage, you can start trying to buy/craft a better helmet. I hear that lightning trap blizzard crowns are reasonably affordable nowadays (back when I played the build they straight up didnt exist) You can craft +1 power charge on this and if you are feeling up to moderate gambling, you can try awakener orbing them. Getting resistances or at least an open prefix to craft life is pretty hit and miss as only 2 of the 4-6 mods are guaranteed with the rest being completely random.
- After that you can just look for unique corruptions, rare armour with more life and/or damage modifiers, etc.
Edit: PoB for some reason isn't showing you as having flame dash or a way of getting arcane surge at all, but on loading your profile on the official site here, I see you have a level 20 arcane surge on flame dash. Idk how I spaced it but I seem to have forgotten to mention in the guide that arcane surge needs to be kept at a lower level so that flame dashing once will always grant arcane surge, rather than the many casts lvl 20 arcane surge would take. For my level 20, 3link flame dash that level is 7.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jan 31, 2023, 12:55:53 AM
Glad to hear you've really enjoyed the build. Did look up your profile through PoB out of curiosity and noticed a couple things.
- You don't have the lightning mastery allocated for 15% max effect of shock. I'm confident you'd be fully shocking everything that can be shocked, so this would give you 8.4% more dps for a single passive point.
- You no longer need infernal legion support as you have an eye jewel with fire to spells allowing you to ignite(burn) enemies.
- You don't seem to be running Divergent charged Traps for the trigger radius. Probably not necessary but pretty cheap and alternative is only 10% incrased damage. Also Anomalous Conductivity (10% curse effect), anomalous bear trap (probably kill too quick for 40% skill effect duration to matter), Divergent Arcane surge for +2 seconds.
- Forbidden flesh/flame would still add a couple million dps over your current (arleady very good) rare jewels.
- I notice you aren't running a timeless jewel. Am kind of curious what kind of content you were running and if you felt tanky enough for it or just went for glass cannon.
Overall impressive gear. Good luck!!
Already talked to you in game, but i'll reply here for others reading through.
- To start, I don't recommend playing the build in SSF in general, as it uses a ton of not easily target farmable uniques. The gloves are relatively target farmable, but you have to get the rare gloves, then the even rarer vial, then the T3 sacrifice room to actually upgrade them. The Wands are sort of targetable in that they are the only unique Prophecy wand, but as far as a random drop they are exceptionally rare, and you'd ideally want 2 of them. The hardest item by far though is probably the amulet. There aren't div cards or anything for it and the other unique Turquoise Amulets are FAR FAR more common. I think it technically drops slightly more often from blights, as it was originally a blight unique, but even then the drop rate is abyssmal. The build should still function, as it does in trade without any uniques, but it wont be nearly as strong without the uniques.
- The Leech when you take a hit and wurms molt mega increased recovery from life leech certainly sounds interesting, but I don't think that you can bypass the Maximum recovery per leech instance cap or the maximum total recovery from leech per second cap. You also cant leech from DoT damage taken, especially from ground effects or other sources of DoT that don't have an associated preceding hit. I definitely don't think it would be worth dropping the instant recovery of tinkerskin, socket colors aside, to get Vaal Pact especially as it disables our 10% life regen from ascendancy, but the wurms molt flask leech itself could be worth at least trying.
- Losing Shock to get secrets of suffering (and thus brittle) could be interesting, provided you have enough cold damage (probably requires at least one call of the brotherhood for lightning to cold conversion, or a large amount of added cold such as from blizzard crown) to apply a large enough brittle to cap crit chance without assassins mark or frost shield. I can't think of an easy way to get a significant amount of fire damage to spells to apply large Scorch. I'd have to PoB it out to see how it compares but it would likely result in lower damage. You'd lose the ability to chill, shock, and ignite, but with skitterbots being minions (not you), they should be able to chill, shock, and with infernal legion support make nearby enemies burn so you can get all the benifits from ascendancy. However, getting secrets of suffering from a sceptre, even a very well rolled one, means you cant wear even one void battery as you cannot have a ranged weapon (wand) and melee weapon equipped at the same time.
- I haven't specifically tried chain as opposed to pierce, but they both would theoretically solve the same issue, where lightning trap projectiles otherwise hit a single enemy before the projectile ends. In general pierce is much easier to get than chain is as you can get it with 3-4 passive points or helmet enchantment as opposed to chain support, gloomfang (prevents badge of the brotherhood), or Snakepit replacing a ring. I'm honestly not sure if chaining off the tornado would actually work to increase single target with lightning trap, but it may be worth testing.
- I highly doubt that damage will be your main issue for uber bosses, but rather survivability. Uber bosses do absurd damage and have some straight up bullshit mechanics. Uber Sirus particularly people tend to find difficult. When I originally made the build, uber bosses weren't in the game. Spell suppression was certainly very strong, but not at all required to do all content. The main section of the guide is for an all around version of the build, with things like grace being mapping focused. I linked an alternate tree for focusing on spell suppression to do uber bosses, if that's where you want to put your focus. As a bare minimum you should have the Inveterate wheel, which with the +12% spell suppression mastery gives 51% spell suppression. Ideally you'd also have the Instinct wheel. My character in standard has only a single node in the tree that grants spell suppression, but I consistently clear uber encounters because I have enough dps and player skill to brute force it. I know of at least 4 people who played this build this league alone who consistently clear uber bosses, but its not easy on any build.
- As far as what the build most viable at, the point is that its viable and generally above average for everything. It doesn't truly do any one aspect of the game extremely efficiently. Its largely intended as a build a player can use to explore all aspects of the game, while still having fun, rather than being completely unable to interact with certain content due to a fixed limitation of their chosen build
* It can do uber bosses provided you have spell suppression, but there are some builds that do it better. Those builds also generally are terrible mappers (such as the ice trap builds topping poe.ninja, which notably are very different from a more typical ice trap build).
* It maps pretty well, but not as quite as fast as something like a tornado shot or CoC build can. It can consistantly fully open a legion (way to know is if you have time remaining when it releases the monsters), and handle breach, essences, and metamorphs comfortably.
* It can do 30 wave simulactrums, provided you've invested enough into defense, but may not always do 30 waves like a dedicated tanky simulacrum farming build (which also tend to not be great at pinnacle bosses or speed mapping)
* It can run Atzri, and other sources of reflected damage, as well as any other map mod. The grand majority of other builds have at least 1 map mod they simply cannot do.
* It can do relatively deep delving (i've done a dangerous Aul, as well as other nodes 600+) but if you want to go 1k+ its not really a great build for it.
* It can do heists, and lab, though not as quickly as some other builds with faster movespeed.
* A great example of all around viability is that in Sanctum league where most builds/players (melee builds especially) are completely unable to complete a floor of Sanctum, most people i've asked who are playing the build more often than not complete all 4 floors, and even some of the challenge runs such as the cannot have boons, or the cannot recovery resolve or have inspiration. In the past, it's also been able to handle the build a boss type mechanic from archnemesis league, and the screens of buffed monsters from sentinel league. I expect that the build will continue to be a safe bet to interact with a wide range of past and future league mechanics.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jan 31, 2023, 2:25:04 AM
One last update - Overinvest was the right word. It made the build somewhat overkill for the stuff it was already good at (Mapping and everything up to normal pinnacle bosses). It didn't really help with the stuff it wasn't so good at, at least at my level of skill, ubers were very painful.
Was fun to put it together at least, but am retiring the build to try something new.
I'm glad you enjoyed the build. Good luck with your next one!!
Thank you for the words of wisdom, I believe that my final decision will be to maintain this status of the build and simply upgrade bits and piece as I become able to afford them. I will simply brute force my way through the uber bosses and force myself to learn them well enough where I won't require spell suppression. Because as you said earlier, I am able to do all content up to a certain level and would rather that than being solely uber boss focused. Furthermore, to at least supplement a small amount of spell suppression, I bought a different glorious vanity with more preferable mods for uber bosses.
Past that, I would like to grab the wheel for Inveterate but I am unable to tell what I should sacrifice in return for it.
Thank you for all the help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.
*Edti: (I forgot the pastebin my bad): https://pastebin.com/Ji5KXRaw
Last edited by CheezusCrusty on Jan 31, 2023, 11:20:31 AM
on Jan 31, 2023, 11:18:35 AM