[3.20] Lightning Trap Saboteur | League Starter | Endgame Bosser | 4+mil dps on a 5link.

"
Realshing wrote:

In your PoB, you're at 73,62% crit chance while at 92,88% with Assassin's Mark (against bosses or higher health rares). When you start being at 90% crit chance (or above) without Assassin's Mark, Sniper's Mark really starts being worh using.

Do you know how I am supposed to reach 90% crit chance without having assassin's mark? I am pretty blind in this topic and I am unable to see where the remainder of my crit is supposed to come from. All I know is that unstable infusion would give me more power charges which will mean more crit, but does that mean the only way for me to swap off from assassin's mark would be the forbidden flame/flesh?
"
CheezusCrusty wrote:
"
Realshing wrote:

In your PoB, you're at 73,62% crit chance while at 92,88% with Assassin's Mark (against bosses or higher health rares). When you start being at 90% crit chance (or above) without Assassin's Mark, Sniper's Mark really starts being worh using.

Do you know how I am supposed to reach 90% crit chance without having assassin's mark? I am pretty blind in this topic and I am unable to see where the remainder of my crit is supposed to come from. All I know is that unstable infusion would give me more power charges which will mean more crit, but does that mean the only way for me to swap off from assassin's mark would be the forbidden flame/flesh?

Additiona crit gear, additional critical strike chance nodes and additional gear with additional power charges. I am currently at 15m PoB dps and using Assassin's Mark is still beneficial to me instead of Sniper's Mark (77,88% crit chance without Assassin's Mark, 97,35% with it). I also don't use brands or curses while regular mapping, so the additional effect of Sniper's Mark is not useful usually.

Of course, if you really prefer using Sniper's Mark, you can use it any time. Assassin's Mark just gives you on average slightly higher damage and more constant critical damage.

*Actually this discussion brough the idea to buy Divergent Assassin's Mark for a bit more critical strike chance, thank you.
Last edited by Realshing on Jan 24, 2023, 7:45:36 AM
"
Realshing wrote:

Additiona crit gear, additional critical strike chance nodes and additional gear with additional power charges. I am currently at 15m PoB dps and using Assassin's Mark is still beneficial to me instead of Sniper's Mark (77,88% crit chance without Assassin's Mark, 97,35% with it). I also don't use brands or curses while regular mapping, so the additional effect of Sniper's Mark is not useful usually.

I see, so it is most probably going to be easier to just use assassin's mark instead of respeccing or going out of my way to get more crit chance just to swap over to sniper's mark. thank you very much!
"
CheezusCrusty wrote:
"
Realshing wrote:

I am not the creator of the build but I noticed a few things that could be ok:
I would for now NOT use the medium cluster jewel in your large cluster jewel and instead directly insert the Watcher's eye to your large cluster jewel. Use the medium cluster jewel points to put into High Voltage next to Whispers of doom and get the Mastery for 15% shock effectiveness (would give you critical strike chance and better shock for more damage)...

Thank you very much for all the help, I followed basically everything you said to do and my dps went from 3.9mil to 5.9mil which was a drastic increase so thank you very much. Also, I do not actually have a point into "traps cannot be damaged" and have already specced into the two alternatives you suggested.

Lastly, I am now saving up for the forbidden flame/flesh combo while i try to level.

I think I spent 4 divines which was entirely on the tinkerskin with +2 trap/mine gems. and then I spent roughly 450c for everything else combined. Here is my new PoB after all these changes:

https://pastebin.com/QQehVV3K

*Edit: I also realise that when I did fix the calculation settings and whatnot for burn, chill shocked etc, that my dps went up by another 500k, not changing the final value i already mentioned, i just forgot to mention that I did change it. Thanks again,

- Sorry for not replying sooner, been pretty busy with work. Thanks to others who understand the build well and were willing to help.

- The first thing I notice immediately is that you have 2 unallocated sockets. Rare jewels are very passive point efficient in impact to the build, and would typically be a higher priority than sinking points into a cluster jewel. You seem to be 11 intelligence short of requirements without one of your rare jewels that has 12 int. You would gain 10 intelligence pathing to one of those 2 sockets, and you can blessed orb your amulet to gain the last bit of intelligence you need. If you are struggling to set up a search criteria that would show jewels with 2-3 damage modifiers, you can use this link: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Sanctum/dLbdw7OCJ
Spoiler

- The second thing I notice is that you seem to only have 2 trap masteries allocated despite having 3 trap wheels. The 30 life recovered on trap trigger would significantly help your recovery.

- Third thing I notice is you have less than 4k life. This would mostly be explained with your boots only having 34 life, and the 10-14% life you would get from rare jewels. If you were to reclaim the 4 points from the medium cluster jewel and allocate the 4% life node you currently dont, that would also help.
Spoiler

* As a side note for your character; Assassin's Mark will give more damage without frost shield, and with Frost Shield Sniper's Mark will give more dps.
* If you include 4 stages of frost shield, it would cap your crit chance and give 7.4% MORE dps with assassins mark.
* With sniper's mark, 4 stages would give 20.1% more dps.

- So with passive tree changes, inputting a 65% shock value, and importing a 20c jewel from the trade site with 6% life and 2 damage mods, I get this link for you:
https://pastebin.com/2MNrhe3z

This puts you at just over 8 mil dps, which adjusting for extra trap throw chance and chance for retriggers, is over 17mil dps. Notably this doesn't count double hits from divergent lightning trap, or frost shield base crit.

Last edited by Ekule731 on Jan 24, 2023, 7:28:59 PM

* As a side note for your character; Assassin's Mark will give more damage without frost shield, and with Frost Shield Sniper's Mark will give more dps.
* If you include 4 stages of frost shield, it would cap your crit chance and give 7.4% MORE dps with assassins mark.
* With sniper's mark, 4 stages would give 20.1% more dps.

I just finally realised that Frost Shield gives a solid amount of critical strike chance and I should probably also start using Sniper's Mark after taking that into consideration. Only been using it for defense. Thank you for helping me on the side!
Dear Ekule,
thanks for the great build guide and all the informations. I'm playing trapper for the first time - feels great, but sometimes clunky.

There are some questions and maybe you can have a look nat my build. I sticked to your guide in most points.

Questions:
- how important is the double curse setup? Skilling into the "whispers of doom" is 6 points in the skill tree. That's a lot! Maybe annoint amulett? Or skip second curse (only Assassins mark) and go into cluster?

- in which order you cast the traps on bosses? Bear trap (BT) makes it, that bosses take more damage. But are they replaced when I cast Light. trap (LT) afterwards? Or is LT repalced by BT?

- I bought a blizzard crown with +1 PC and LT piercing. Is the added cold damage important for Explosives Expert for the Ele-pen?

- I want only to run sanctum: what are the best ways to scale dmg? (DEF is neglectable for sanctum runs/only Important for uber-Lycia)

- I have to boot-swap Ralakeshs impatience every new instance for the charges. Is there any better solution because without swap I feel its takes too long for charge generation. Especially in sanctum I need full charges to start. Any Ideas about that?

my build so far:
https://pastebin.com/5kJfqVTc

ty and best wishes!
Last edited by Braan79 on Jan 25, 2023, 7:15:42 AM
"
Ekule731 wrote:

- So with passive tree changes, inputting a 65% shock value, and importing a 20c jewel from the trade site with 6% life and 2 damage mods, I get this link for you:
https://pastebin.com/2MNrhe3z

This puts you at just over 8 mil dps, which adjusting for extra trap throw chance and chance for retriggers, is over 17mil dps. Notably this doesn't count double hits from divergent lightning trap, or frost shield base crit.

I see, thank you very much for all the help, it seems that my new goal is to just level up now lol. I have done all those changes and now I am noticeably stronger from it. Much appreciated. Ill mainly use assassin's mark for now while mapping and when doing bosses ill use sniper's mark in which case.
I've not played lightning trap for a while, so thought I'd give it a go.

I've gone slightly different with my version - trying to be an 'all-rounder'. Plus had a bit of currency to spend. SO gone with a +1 PC shield with suppression to help me reach cap (Actually could have reached without, in hindsight but also need the resists).
Running Anathema, which is incredibly strong, but only if you actually apply the curses! You either need to have enough mana free for the brand or drop in a lavianga flask (Probably easier, I only just thought of that)

I've got an extreme luxury precursors ring in, because I saw a GG one for less than normal, and always wanted one. Definitely puts pressure on gear, I really need to craft/buy a helm with some resists so I can save some points or use damage jewels.

PoB https://pobb.in/yd_MTAXZGFJ-

Some unlevelled or missing gems/missing flasks/weird stuff as I'm still figuring stuff out!

Seems to be mapping very nicely, and trashing bosses. Not sure if my skills or the build are quite up to uber bosses though.

Any improvements/tips thankfully recieved!

"
Braan79 wrote:
Dear Ekule,
thanks for the great build guide and all the informations. I'm playing trapper for the first time - feels great, but sometimes clunky.

There are some questions and maybe you can have a look nat my build. I sticked to your guide in most points.

Questions:
- how important is the double curse setup? Skilling into the "whispers of doom" is 6 points in the skill tree. That's a lot! Maybe annoint amulett? Or skip second curse (only Assassins mark) and go into cluster?

- in which order you cast the traps on bosses? Bear trap (BT) makes it, that bosses take more damage. But are they replaced when I cast Light. trap (LT) afterwards? Or is LT repalced by BT?

- I bought a blizzard crown with +1 PC and LT piercing. Is the added cold damage important for Explosives Expert for the Ele-pen?

- I want only to run sanctum: what are the best ways to scale dmg? (DEF is neglectable for sanctum runs/only Important for uber-Lycia)

- I have to boot-swap Ralakeshs impatience every new instance for the charges. Is there any better solution because without swap I feel its takes too long for charge generation. Especially in sanctum I need full charges to start. Any Ideas about that?

my build so far:
https://pastebin.com/5kJfqVTc

ty and best wishes!

- As far as the passive points for the second curse, basically nowhere else can you spend 5 points and get as much damage as for whispers of doom. The +1 power charge anoint gives between 20% to 25% more damage depending on how many power charges you already have, so that isn't really negotiable unless you are heading all the way left to manually allocate it which can only really be justified if you aren't going to be using grace (and its associated reservation mastery). Assassin's Mark will give between 15-21% more damage, depending on your character, which is typically more than the roughly 8-10% more damage that a medium cluster jewel would give you.

- This build has way more damage in general than you would need for sanctums, with only Lycia's Final form being dangerous enough for a decent chance to kill you. You probably would only benefit from the brand for the floor bosses, as nothing else has enough life to last very long. Notably that gif where I oneshot shaper didn't have any flasks up, curses, frost shield, or even vaal RF (I hit it slightly too late.) This of course varies based on budget.

- Skitterbots has one bot that has a shocking aura, and the other has a chilling aura. This is how we chill to make use of the Explosive's Expert 10% penetration if the enemy is chilled. We just have so much generic damage scaling (increased spell damage, trap damage, crit) that isn't specific to a damage type, so the cold damage from blizzard crown isn't much less effective than flat lightning damage is. It's 'free' damage.

- Its really annoying that each individual room is technically a separate zone, requiring us to generate charges and other temporary buffs from scratch. Frenzy charges in particular are a pain to generate as there are very few ways of generating them that don't require killing monsters. The only other notable ways I can think of to generate them apart from the chance on trap trigger and boot swap is from Frenzy (the wand attack that gives a frenzy charge on hit) which I think would be slower and clunkier than traps, and Farrul's Fur (which would take even longer than the trap trigger method as you'd have to wait at least half a cycle, and would prevent you from using tinkerskin)

- Notably, each individual trap has a separate chance to grant you a charge on trap trigger. This means that cluster traps support, which throws nearly twice as many traps as swift assembly, would generate charges a fair bit faster. In the sanctum the moderate damage loss compared to the swift assembly shouldn't be relevant apart from maybe floor bosses (which you can still boot swap for if you'd rather do that method)

- Now yes, throwing lightning trap when you already have your maximum trap count on the ground will overwrite old traps, even bear traps. Traps also take around half a second after landing on the ground to 'arm' at which point they can be triggered. If you really want to pre-fire most effectively, you'd throw your max number of lightning traps, then place a bear trap, then wait until after the first trap triggers before you start trying to place more traps. This way you can have 20+ lightning traps all trigger simultaneously. Timing this correctly on top of fitting in arcane surge, frost shield, brand and/or Vaal RF can take some practice, especially since traps have a default duration of only 4 seconds, with a significant amount of that time from the oldest trap being taken to place all 24 of them.

- The damage should be high enough you don't need to pre-fire optimally to kill the boss before they can really do anything, even if it doesn't kill them the exact tick they are first damageable.

- On loading up your PoB I notice a few very significant things:
Spoiler

1) The first thing I notice is that your damage is rather low. Considering how low it is i'm not even sure you would be 50% shocking things.

2) The single largest thing you are missing is probably the additional curse. This alone is for you 26.9% More damage.
Spoiler

3) Your level is still pretty low, at 78. You still have at least 10 easy levels to get.

4) You are missing a ton of crit multi. You are missing the critical mastery for the 25% crit multi against unique enemies, as well as the 20% on the left side of the doom cast wheel (while it takes an additional point it is worth that extra point) and the 24% leading to High Voltage.
Spoiler

5) You have allocated Soul Thief. While these points aren't completely useless, % life nodes are going to raise your total hit pool more than the % energy shield will.
Spoiler

6) Your Lightning Trap and Added lightning support are still relatively low levels. Obviously this will get better as you level. You do at least have the divergent lightning trap so I don't recommend going out of your way to buy a higher level one at this time. I do recommend buying an Awakened Added Lightning support though, and ideally Awakened Lightning Penetration as well.

7) You do have a good eye jewel allowing you to ignite, however your other jewel isn't very good. You don't seem to need the attributes from it so you should be good to just buy a 2 damage mod jewel. Ideally you would eventually replace your belt with a stygian vise to regain another jewel socket in your tree.
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Sanctum/RkydQPGH7

8) You don't have a silver flask. Onslaught grants 20% cast speed which gets converted into trap throwing speed. I highly recommend getting a silver flask, probably replacing your quartz flask (or your diamond since you would have 100% crit chance with assassins mark and High Voltage even without the flask.)

9) You can change pathing nodes to make it easier to allocate Whispers of Doom and High Voltage.
Spoiler

10) You currently have increased damage crafted on your Ghoul Grasp ring. I'd recommend crafting the -7 to mana cost of skills instead which could help with the mana cost of your brand. You could also replace the ring for something with more than 31 life, but the rest of the ring is very good.

11) You have put a point into the Resistance mastery to gain 12% all resistance. Ideally you would get the resistance you need from gear instead, as passive points are extremely impactful to your character. You should be resistance capped without the mastery, unless you replace the jewel you are using that has resistance.

- With your same items, the passive tree changes (assuming level 88), and the gems you already have in your 6link leveled to 20, I get this PoB link for you:
https://pastebin.com/Q36kVNN5

* It puts you at 5.4mil dps. Notably this doesn't include onslaught, frost shield, chance to throw additional traps (1.6 on average), 35% chance for trap retriggers, or double hits from divergent lightning trap.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jan 26, 2023, 6:36:24 AM
"
Carlovski wrote:
I've not played lightning trap for a while, so thought I'd give it a go.

I've gone slightly different with my version - trying to be an 'all-rounder'. Plus had a bit of currency to spend. SO gone with a +1 PC shield with suppression to help me reach cap (Actually could have reached without, in hindsight but also need the resists).
Running Anathema, which is incredibly strong, but only if you actually apply the curses! You either need to have enough mana free for the brand or drop in a lavianga flask (Probably easier, I only just thought of that)

I've got an extreme luxury precursors ring in, because I saw a GG one for less than normal, and always wanted one. Definitely puts pressure on gear, I really need to craft/buy a helm with some resists so I can save some points or use damage jewels.

PoB https://pobb.in/yd_MTAXZGFJ-

Some unlevelled or missing gems/missing flasks/weird stuff as I'm still figuring stuff out!

Seems to be mapping very nicely, and trashing bosses. Not sure if my skills or the build are quite up to uber bosses though.

Any improvements/tips thankfully recieved!

Most of your gear is actually pretty great, few issues/tips though.

- With a precursors that insane, might be worth Using a kalandra's reflection to 'copy' it in the other slot. You would need to allocate whispers of doom; however, dropping the large cluster jewel for this would definitely be worth it.

- You are missing the entire throatseeker wheel and mastery. This would give you 12.8% More dps.
Spoiler

- While a +1 power charge shield is MUCH better than a shield without +1 power charge, a second void battery would give you 32.5% more dps. With 2 unique rings though, I understand resistances are extremely tight. This is actually the main reason I don't mention precursors in the main section of the guide.
Spoiler

- Obviously allocating Survivalist isn't ideal, though understandably resistance is a big issue.
Spoiler

- As you mentioned, you still need to work on your flasks. Granite flask isn't really doing anything for you, as you have no armour scaling whatsoever, no other sources of armour, and armour is much less effective the harder the hit is. To prevent even 33% of the damage from a hit, you need to have 2.5x the armour rating of that hit. You are MUCH more likely to run into 2.5x more damage than you have armour rating, so it'll mitigate closer to 5% damage. Unfortunately I don't think it would be a good idea to cap resistance with a bismuth flask or something without a mageblood to make it permanent, but based on a couple of your items, mageblood may just be within realistic possibility for you.

- One possible way to get some resistance is by searching for timeless jewel seeds that give resistance. You can mess around with the tool, (I think the link wont save which passives I unselected to search for) but here. If you find other solutions to res, you can go for things like crit multi or % life instead.
https://vilsol.github.io/timeless-jewels/tree?jewel=1&conqueror=Doryani&seed=1093&location=41263&mode=stats&stat=141&stat=144&stat=146&stat=148
* Noteworthy Seeds I found include:
Spoiler

- Could look into all res corruption on Badge of the brotherhood, if you can spare the int/dex

- You may need to choose between being fully suppress capped, or 70%+ and having way more damage. I really hope you can figure it out, that precursor has so much potential.
Last edited by Ekule731 on Jan 26, 2023, 1:19:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info