Art, Areas, and Effects Feedback Forum

"
AaGeOn wrote:

So here is my take on them WiP:

God almighty !!! I hope this is going to get implemented, splendid work !

EDIT: And I have to say the effect when you freeze a monster (or you get freezed) is looking just wicked sick. Best effect of freeze I have eveer seen in my gaming history. I always zoom in to give a sigh of praise.

Last edited by sakalthor on Aug 3, 2012, 7:25:52 AM
It's great lags on final location of 2 act. Especially, when hero going on ice thing.
I just would like that the shield looked more like their icon counterparts.
Cleave trail missing for shadow using a two-handed weapon.
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
I really can't understand why the character proportions are so off? It doesn't take a genius to see that all of our characters were clearly from the same mother and perhaps our father is actually our brother.

I mean look at this:

"The only prison you're in is the one you've created in your mind."
off topic, but relates to art.
I was looking through the artwork..

And coming from a art bg, the art quality is a bit iffy to me. but tbh, that doesn't matter. the gameplay needs to be there. all the other things are nitpicky. look at bioshock 1. their artwork is not the best, but the 3d model and gameplay was there.

keep it up creators of PoE.
"
raic000 wrote:
Cleave trail missing for shadow using a two-handed weapon.

I added this about 5 days ago. Should be in the next patch

"
AaGeOn wrote:

So here is my take on them WiP:

More detailed orbs like this were tried but they ended up looking really silly when they went down. They look cool full but once they get a clean chop out of them they look really weird.

We will add cool effects for the orbs but I currently don't have any control's to do effects or materials for the UI. I haven't got controls for a lot of in game things like decals or trails yet either. So sadly this is probably a while away : <
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:
More detailed orbs like this were tried but they ended up looking really silly when they went down. They look cool full but once they get a clean chop out of them they look really weird.

And it's also more difficult to read, the mana orb in particular is very dark, if you are under 20% mana you wouldn't be able to say if it's 1% of 10% for example.

They look sweet thouhg! Perhaps that would work better when they are animated with the patches of light and dark moving around.
Last edited by DeF46 on Aug 8, 2012, 4:19:37 AM
Hello,

I am quite new in the beta and I am enjoying it like hell. You made a great piece of software there!

As I really want this game to have phenomenal success, I have to say something about the most hindering part in my eyes - the character art.

I think for this game to really catch on, the charcaters, armors and weapons need to look as awesome as possible for people to care about their character and spend money for cosmetic changes.

Right now, I am looking at my witch and I find her art/design/looks not compelling enough.

In RPG I am one of those guys, who stick to a good looking piece of armor even if it has worse stats. And generally like to play good looking characters and avoid dwarves/gnomes. It may sound shallow, but I like too look at cool stuff.

Let me give you an example with another Free2Play Game I am playing: League of Legends

The first couple of month I did not spend a single penny, but after I got attached to my characters, I gladly spent money on skins to have something special for my favorite character.

In Path of Exile, I don't care one bit about looks, because everything looks ugly, and every piece of armor uprade disappoints me.

Maybe the idea is to make good looking pieces available with micro transactions - that's ok. But still, the characters need to look better.

The Templar is the prime example for it. I think it's ok that you want to make an aged character to escape stereotypes a little - but the templar looks like an old and especially _weak_ grandpa. It is possible to make such a model look old and battle worn, but still look awesome. I am a fan of paladin like classes. But currently I avoid the templar, because he just looks like a NPC that needs rescue, rather than the hero thats saving someone or fighting evil monster hordes.

The positive thing about the art is the fresh medieval setting (pirate style, lost island, stranded). I really like the quality of the maps and monsters. The spell effects are pretty nice too. But I am more one for design quality than polygon/rendering/effect quality.

The mood and atmosphere is very good too - you are catching some of that Diablo 1 magic with that, that Diablo 2 and 3 are very much missing. Good job at that! The music is awesome too (thats why I bought the 15$ package).

as a 20+ years gamer I am really excited about the depth of your gameplay systems (currency,flasks,support gems,skill gems,passive tree,maps) and the infinite itemization and never ending upgrade possibilities.

TL:DR:

Invest more time and resources to make the character look compelling - it's the first thing you see in the login screen, and it should really be pulling players in no scaring them away.

Best Regards,

Illuminaire
My two cents on FXs so far.

They are well crafted, if i can say so, but some of them are just too much. They are so "obnoxious" that they end up looking silly, and get me to stop using skills providing them once and for all. To each his own, but i do care a lot about how my characters look.

Guilty of this, Tempest shield. I got excited when i got this spell. Added defense, some damage on top of it, cool. Here imaginating some crackling electricity going over my shield evey so often, and probably a neat FX when cast.
Casted the spell.
Blue flamme of doom shooting forward, all the time.
Unsocketed, sold.

Auras are other offenders. While, on their own on one character they do look really nice, it turns the game into a carnival as soon as there's more players/minions.

I dunno, to me it kills the mood of the game. Wraeclast looks like a desolated place, its heroes struggling to overcome the undeads and so on. Add a layer of shiny magic everywhere, all the time, and everythings is gone.
Last edited by ooIGGYoo on Aug 11, 2012, 9:20:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info