[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

Thanks for the guide. It is my first time playing POE and the guide is wonderful helping me going through Act 1-10. I am now running Tier 1 maps but there are some problems (maybe just for me) after getting 6-linked armour for the secondary skill.

I didnt use the gem Focused Ballista Support until I got 6-link. Once I put the gem in, however, my totems stop attacking. I noted that the skill description says "only attack when you fire an attack projectile". When I was in boss fight, I notice when I use my primary skill, my character fires 1 toxic rain, the mirage archer fires 1, then the totems fire 1 each. The efficient for boss fight seems greatly reduced as I put in the Focused gem.

Also does the toxic rain of the mirage archer of my character also toggle the "only attack when you fire an attack projectile" for Focused Ballista gem? I found that when clearing monster packs, the attack frequency of the totem seems also decreased after putting the focused gem on.

Also, following the guide, I have unlocked some basic jewel sockets in the passive skill tree, which do you recommend me to put in those sockets?

Sorry if my questions look really stupid. Appreciated for your effort in writing the guide. Thanks!
"
brojersey wrote:
Thanks for the guide. It is my first time playing POE and the guide is wonderful helping me going through Act 1-10. I am now running Tier 1 maps but there are some problems (maybe just for me) after getting 6-linked armour for the secondary skill.

I didnt use the gem Focused Ballista Support until I got 6-link. Once I put the gem in, however, my totems stop attacking. I noted that the skill description says "only attack when you fire an attack projectile". When I was in boss fight, I notice when I use my primary skill, my character fires 1 toxic rain, the mirage archer fires 1, then the totems fire 1 each. The efficient for boss fight seems greatly reduced as I put in the Focused gem.

Also does the toxic rain of the mirage archer of my character also toggle the "only attack when you fire an attack projectile" for Focused Ballista gem? I found that when clearing monster packs, the attack frequency of the totem seems also decreased after putting the focused gem on.

Also, following the guide, I have unlocked some basic jewel sockets in the passive skill tree, which do you recommend me to put in those sockets?

Sorry if my questions look really stupid. Appreciated for your effort in writing the guide. Thanks!

First of all, there are no stupid questions.

(1) If you feel like your Ballista uptime on bosses or mobs is low, feel free to use Faster Attack Support instead of Focused Ballista Support (but normally you should spam your Toxic Rain which means that your totems would spam Toxic Rain as well - at least when using Focussed Ballista Support). Bu that's not crucial. Do as you please.

(2) Mirage Archer is not connected to your totems and therefore has no influence on your totems (or the other way around).

(3) For jewels, check out this milestone or the jewels in the endgame items section.

Cheers!
"
brojersey wrote:

The 'focused' in focused ballistas means that they attack only what you attack rather than act independently. Like you I prefer them to act independently, it's extremely helpful in many situations, blight and sirus for sure, but others too. The reason build makers like focused ballistas is they maximise pods and overlaps, and wither stack build-up, in an area nicely but once you get half decent gear you'll be doing plenty of damage without this and so can have your totems act independently. This of course requires good use of withering step because you can no longer rely on totems to build wither stacks rapidly on your targets because they may have their own targets.
+2 ammy.

1) Roll magic ammy with alts and augs until you get +1 to all skill gems. This took me 3000 alts.
2) Use imprint beast to take imprint.
3) regal to rare.
4) annul to a one mod rare, just +1 to all skills. If it goes wrong, use imprint, take a new imprint and try again.
5) craft can have up to 3 crafted mods
6) Craft prefixes cant be changed
7) craft cannot roll attack mods
8) go to harvest and augment chaos. That gives you +1 all chaos skill gems and takes off a crafted suffix.
9) from there you can do what you want. Finish prefixes, use prefixes cant be changed and go on to reroll suffixes as necessary. If at any time you get a six mod item that's it. if you fill suffixes and have an open prefix you can use beastcrafting remove suffix add prefix so you can craft prefix cant be changed and reroll the suffixes again. Of course this may give you a bad prefix but that's life. Try annul it and you could go back to step 1 again.

Have fun.
Last edited by Thayaric on Sep 4, 2022, 9:12:48 PM
Thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble with it however. I'm am by no means a new player, have played around 5 leagues so far, however I was under the impression this build is extremely tanky, mainly from reddit. I don't mind having lowish dps as long as im tanky but low dps and low tankiness has been hindering me.

Ignite destroys me, and sometimes i get 1 shot by random white/blue mobs?

I don't have the setup to run all 3 auras, so I'm just running grace/determination+ def banner.

Also don't have the currency to get a totem setup yet, however I have tested it with an atziris splendour 5L+ghost dance that i had and while the dps was nice for bosses, didnt seem to raise tankiness at all so I dont think that is the problem I'm having.

Here is my pob. I dont know what im missing to be tanky boi. Thank you in advance.

(side note, for me pob shows i have a ton of EHP ~144k, however when i change the config for 4 minimum pods, it drops all the way down to 29k?)
(Pob also shows i have 95 suppress for some reason however I'm sitting on 100 ingame.)

https://pastebin.com/MLgMvaj7 sorry about forgetting to link pob >.>
Last edited by NeedNewBowSkills on Sep 5, 2022, 7:22:13 PM
"
Thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble with it however. I'm am by no means a new player, have played around 5 leagues so far, however I was under the impression this build is extremely tanky, mainly from reddit. I don't mind having lowish dps as long as im tanky but low dps and low tankiness has been hindering me.

Ignite destroys me, and sometimes i get 1 shot by random white/blue mobs?

I don't have the setup to run all 3 auras, so I'm just running grace/determination+ def banner.

Also don't have the currency to get a totem setup yet, however I have tested it with an atziris splendour 5L+ghost dance that i had and while the dps was nice for bosses, didnt seem to raise tankiness at all so I dont think that is the problem I'm having.

Here is my pob. I dont know what im missing to be tanky boi. Thank you in advance.

(side note, for me pob shows i have a ton of EHP ~144k, however when i change the config for 4 minimum pods, it drops all the way down to 29k?)
(Pob also shows i have 95 suppress for some reason however I'm sitting on 100 ingame.)

https://pastebin.com/MLgMvaj7 sorry about forgetting to link pob >.>

"Ignite destroys me"

-> You have a flask which removes ignite/burning, so that shouldn't be a problem ;) Get Pantheon upgrades as fast as possible so you have more options for your flask mods since you then don't need freeze immunity anymore. And: Make sure to increase the quality of your flasks for more uptime.

"sometimes i get 1 shot by random white/blue mobs"

-> Your defenses look fine overall. I have had half of your defenses and T16 were fine.

"I have tested it with an atziris splendour 5L+ghost dance that i had and while the dps was nice for bosses, didnt seem to raise tankiness"

-> Ghost Dance is only beneficial if you have a decent amount of Energy Shield. The version of Atziri's Splendour you've used only provides a low amount of Energy Shield. You could use the Energy shield version of it to gain double the amount of Energy Shield. This should increase your tankiness.

"I don't have the setup to run all 3 auras, so I'm just running grace/determination+ def banner."

-> If you don't use Malevolence anyway (although I'd recommend it), you can take Vitality as an extra defensive aura (if you need more mana reservation for that, you can pick the Evasion mastery for Grace and/or the Life Mastery for Vitality). This can also help with ignite.

Last but not least: You totally focus on defenses, which isn't wrong, but don't forget, that often offense is the best defense, or rather: A dead enemy can't do damage to you (most of the times) so investing in damage (e.g. Malevolence as an aura) can be beneficial for survivability as well (I personally would never take Determination/Grace over Determination/Malevolence but that's just a side note).

Last edited by fezz8386 on Sep 5, 2022, 7:53:58 PM
Hi thank you for your amazing reply to my earlier query. I would like to know is having double large cluster jewel is better ? I've seen top TR players in POE ninja using them.
"
Ful_POE wrote:
Hi thank you for your amazing reply to my earlier query. I would like to know is having double large cluster jewel is better ? I've seen top TR players in POE ninja using them.

Cluster Jewels are your main source of damage increase, so the answer is yes ;)
Sorry if dumb question, Brine King pantheon helps with stun but we have fortify and stun immunity with ascendance so why we take it and not others? atleast before we upgrade it?
"
grajmer wrote:
Sorry if dumb question, Brine King pantheon helps with stun but we have fortify and stun immunity with ascendance so why we take it and not others? atleast before we upgrade it?

Fair point. You take it for the upgraded version with freeze immunity and reduced effect of chill. Until you can actually upgrade your pantheon, you can also go with Soul of Lunaris or Soul of Arakaali.

(The guide doesn't include this since you do the lab later than normal - it's not that crucial, but I made a note to fix that next league, thanks for the hint)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Sep 8, 2022, 11:35:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info