[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

"
Xandharba wrote:
I checked my TR champion in standard, from 47k chaos damage per second (TR lvl 31) I losed 10k ! And the +35% dmg if we use totem+bow vanished... It's a huge nerf :( and 47k was not so powerful vs Sirus AL8, just average, so I'm not convinced to continue the adventure with this dude, this game, even I reach the top end game gear the dps will be too low, I'm bored of nerfs, bored to lose my time, I would have apreciated if they simply warn us : don't play TR this league !

Or maybe I'm wrong and there are many new things I ignore ?! How much chaos dmg/s do you reach with Toxic Rain guys ?

It's a league start build. For new players. This build is not about one shotting endgame bosses or clearing T16 maps in 45 seconds. It's about getting to know the game as well as gaining basic knowlegde about crafts, gems and whatnot.

TR won't be a meta skill in 3.17, but it's viable to do all content in all available modes (trade, ssf, ssfhc) - I already received feedback from several players who killed almost each endgame boss with the build.

And ... it's not always about damage, especially not for new players. New players will benefit from the crazy defenses this build has (8k EHP, ~30k evasion, 25k armour, 100% spell suppression, 75% Chaos res, 7k shield from Molten Shell) so they can see and learn boss mechanics to get better ... and finally succeed.

To answer your question regarding damage numbers: This build will have 2,5 - 3,5 million Sirus DPS with decent items. But as I said, this build is not about the damage.

Hope that info is what you were looking for (although the build might not be :P)
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
Deathbrin9er wrote:
Hey man, excellent guide you have prepared here...I have started to respec into this build after my wonky start with cyclone..

After looking at build and tweaking a bit in PoB I created this: https://pastebin.com/zjknuxzH

Can you please please take a look at this and tell me if there is any merit to going this tree instead of yours. The damage numbers look fine but I am not sure if defensive layer is similar to what your build has..

Also, I have a question...is it ok if we do not have 100% hit rate for this build?? Never played bow build before, so I've no idea about it.

Once again thanks alot for this detailed guide and keeping it up to date.

As far as I can see, you've traded 8k evasion & 7k armour for +100k dps. Overall, I don't think that's a benefit compared to the original tree ;).

On top of that I've noticed that you've invested 3 points into 'Clever Thief' and the mastery next to it. I'm not sure what your goal is here. If it's about the additional damage, I'd rather invest these 3 points into 'Wasting'. If it's about the attack damage life leech, don't pick this (since this build doesn't scale attack damage at all). If it's about the life/mana gain on hit, you can just pick this one (but is it really needed?).

That all being said - in the end - your skill tree just shows that you have plenty of options in terms of adjusting it to the needs and likes of different player types. I don't see a major flaw (provided I have interpreted your motives correctly), so I encourage you (and everyone else) to test things out ;)

PS: Hit chance isn't that impotant here.

Ok...Understood, I will stick to the guide and see at the end if I can make changes to improve further...Thanks for the reply \m/
Hello

Im using this guide and its awesome..i played a few other season but never managed to do more than completing the campaign and farm a few maps cause at some point i struggled to get gear/know what gear to use. But right now i feel like this guide will help me getting to the so often called bosses any time soon. All these crafting advices are also awesome thanks!

But now for my problem so far:
How long should i use the linked Lootfilter(im to bad/unexperienced to make my own for later stages), im not done with the camp. right now (act 7) but it still recommends me sometimes the RED Axes even after swapping to the bow already.

Also im wondering. The Balista Setup is for bosses i guess? Otherwise just spam the Bow linked TR and keep defense up if needed.

Thanks alot for all the work u have done!

Last edited by Zyrac on Feb 8, 2022, 1:55:57 PM
Where is DPS in this build without 30 exalted orb investment? All craft that is discribed in guide requiers tons of currency. Farming white maps before you get lucky? This build is awful for newbie.
"
GodApostate wrote:
Where is DPS in this build without 30 exalted orb investment? All craft that is discribed in guide requiers tons of currency. Farming white maps before you get lucky? This build is awful for newbie.

I'm a casual player, know nothing about craft or efficient farm. I'm using this guide and i had the best progression of my life.

I have like 3 EX investment so far and doing T16 easily.
"
GodApostate wrote:

I don't know this guide, but I played TR Champ in 3.16 and had just under 50ex investment (console, so probably 30ex on PC) and I ended up with almost 10 million (almost 6m sirus) TR DPS, which was easily enough for everything.
I'm also fairly new to PoE, usually follow builds and taper out by the time I start getting into maps, and this guide was a treat to follow.

I really enjoy all of the micro-adjustments to the build that can be made in the passives tree, seeing where you've allocated passives and prioritized them to get a feel for what your build goal is, and step-by-step when to change into different leveling skills. I am also very appreciative of having just an image of the passive tree progression!

I wish I took notes while I was playing so I'd remember all of my thoughts while leveling, but I know I had trouble with mana reservation very early on, and I'm almost certain it's because I did not have the recommended flask that is shown later in the guide where the mana buff doesn't dissipate on reserved mana.

This is actually my second character this league, and I found a goldrim and a tabula on my first character in act 4 (I burnt out on that character and made this one to inherit the gear), so I have my biases-- because of course I will have an easier time with chunky +38% ele resist and a 6 link, even if I couldn't use all the links for toxic rain because of steep mana cost early on.

Either way. I just hit level 70 and finished maps. This was a lot of fun re-learning path of exile, with how much mana reservation I can get away with, and how ballista totem can be used alongside manual toxic rain to stack the damage mega quick. I had always thought the build would be all hard casting, but the totem support makes a huge difference, even though I had to use a 3 and 4 link for the entire 10 chapters.

There's so much good in this guide for newer folks, and everything being in text and images and broken down helps a lot. Unique one-of-a-kind guide that will likely not show up ever again. Looking forward to setting up my end game build and shedding my tabula! Thank you so much!!
"
Zyrac wrote:
Hello

Im using this guide and its awesome..i played a few other season but never managed to do more than completing the campaign and farm a few maps cause at some point i struggled to get gear/know what gear to use. But right now i feel like this guide will help me getting to the so often called bosses any time soon. All these crafting advices are also awesome thanks!

But now for my problem so far:
How long should i use the linked Lootfilter(im to bad/unexperienced to make my own for later stages), im not done with the camp. right now (act 7) but it still recommends me sometimes the RED Axes even after swapping to the bow already.

Also im wondering. The Balista Setup is for bosses i guess? Otherwise just spam the Bow linked TR and keep defense up if needed.

Thanks alot for all the work u have done!

Cool to hear that you feel like you will be able to accomplish more than usual using the guide. Let's hope this feeling will become reality ;)

In terms of the loot filter: It's kinda hard to setup the loot filter so it considers all types of player types and all types of player knowledge. I made some small adjustments to the loot filter based on your feedback and I hope that this will help you a bit (you can download it here). Basically, you can use this loot filter until the end although - at some point - it will most likely show loot that is not as helpful as it was before. But you will have the same problem with other loot filters if you don't know what to pick up and what not. Nevertheless, if you want to test another loot filter that is suitable for the endgame, you can downlad the NeverSink (Strict) filter (but note that this will show a lot of items that don't suit your build at all).

PS: Ballista Totem is primarily for bosses (or rares with much life), yes.

Last edited by fezz8386 on Feb 9, 2022, 5:32:18 AM
"
Tahuma wrote:
I'm also fairly new to PoE, usually follow builds and taper out by the time I start getting into maps, and this guide was a treat to follow.

I really enjoy all of the micro-adjustments to the build that can be made in the passives tree, seeing where you've allocated passives and prioritized them to get a feel for what your build goal is, and step-by-step when to change into different leveling skills. I am also very appreciative of having just an image of the passive tree progression!

I wish I took notes while I was playing so I'd remember all of my thoughts while leveling, but I know I had trouble with mana reservation very early on, and I'm almost certain it's because I did not have the recommended flask that is shown later in the guide where the mana buff doesn't dissipate on reserved mana.

This is actually my second character this league, and I found a goldrim and a tabula on my first character in act 4 (I burnt out on that character and made this one to inherit the gear), so I have my biases-- because of course I will have an easier time with chunky +38% ele resist and a 6 link, even if I couldn't use all the links for toxic rain because of steep mana cost early on.

Either way. I just hit level 70 and finished maps. This was a lot of fun re-learning path of exile, with how much mana reservation I can get away with, and how ballista totem can be used alongside manual toxic rain to stack the damage mega quick. I had always thought the build would be all hard casting, but the totem support makes a huge difference, even though I had to use a 3 and 4 link for the entire 10 chapters.

There's so much good in this guide for newer folks, and everything being in text and images and broken down helps a lot. Unique one-of-a-kind guide that will likely not show up ever again. Looking forward to setting up my end game build and shedding my tabula! Thank you so much!!

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed feedback. When I wrote the guide, I figured that mana regeneration and mana itself would most likely be one of the toughest challenges for new players which is why I already included not-so-default-techniques to help with that (e.g. taking skill tree notes that experienced players would most likely not take). I already updated quite a lot of mana-related tasks to emphasize more how important these tasks are in order to have a great experience. I hope that these changes are enough. Once again, thank you for the kind words and tell me how the endgame was for you and if I could add something to the guide ;)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Feb 9, 2022, 5:40:34 AM
Update - 09.02.2022 - 7pm
- Added 'The Eternal lab' to the 'Endgame Milestones' section (it looks like I accidentally deleted this part when I made a previous change).
- The loot filter has been updated to not highlight items that are most likely not needed anymore at a specific stage of the campaign.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info