[3.18] Fuzzy Duckzy's Lightning Strike Raider - Great League Starter

Fuzzy's Lightning Strike Raider

IS THIS BUILD FOR YOU>

Are you looking for a build that can rush through the Atlas and kill all the big bosses on a shoestring? ... Then this build is not for you
If however you a looking for something that can (very) quickly farm high level maps to progress your Atlas, build up a lot of currency and is super fun to play then this build might be right for you

The build has a ton of scope at end game to melt everything the Atlas throws as it, but it is a gradual progression and I am not going to lie to you and say you will be farming Maven on Day 1.

This is more a build you would play if your want you first character to be your only character or you are happy to progress through map tiers slower than a pure boss killer build, but on a very low budget and enjoyable character

The build will easily clear high tier red maps with only a few ex invested and from there each upgrade you make improves it's bossing capabilities. If you are willing to invest time and currency into this character it is one of the best all rounders I have played in my time on Path of Exile, but it is not an instant gratification build.

Early maps can feel a bit clunky before you transition to lightning strike and Spectral Helix is not everyones cup of tea for levelling and very early mapping.

If this sounds like your kind of thing keep reading.........

3.17 Update - From Balance Manifesto and patch notes not much has changed that will affect the build other than nerfs to flat damage gems, but claws can now roll higher ele damage. Only difference is there are now no such thing as mark on hit rings so we just need a 2 link Gems set up of Assassins mark + Mark on Hit Support

3.18 No Changes

3.17 Guide: https://youtu.be/j3XjYooG26w

I have been creating various updates for a lightning Strike Raider I have been playing since 3.14 and am getting lots of questions on Youtube so thought it was time to get a written guide out for you lovely people :)

There are various video guides and gameplay examples along with levelling guides on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtVOFpm9AlcZAcr1JlXI2ng

I have set up a simple discord if anyone wants to discuss or show me gear, trees, etc for advice https://discord.gg/ttbqrfzYu2
I work full time but will try to respond as quickly as I can

SOCIALS AND STREAMING SCHEDULE for 3.18
Spoiler

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/FuzzyDuckzy
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyduckzy

I do not stream a huge amount but will be streaming for 3.18 league start for at least the first 4-5 days. Feel free to drop in if you have any questions

If there is anything you are not sure of feel free to ask or See if I am streaming on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/fuzzyduckzy

Single Target Damage

Intro and Summary

I started playing Lightning Strike in 3.14 when following Nugi on Twitch when he was playing a hardcore variant of the build. I really liked the look of the skill as it provides excellent clear, good defences and very good single target from the Vaal portion of the skill.

I decided to build a more softcore version of the build which ended up clearing all content including The Feared in 3.15. It is the most fun I have had playing this game in a long time and is a great and affordable all round build

Pros
+ FUN!!!!!
+ Great clear speed
+ Amazing burst damage
+ Tanky
+ Very fast movement Speed
+ Good linear progression and can be min-maxed to good levels
+ Quick to maps (5 hours is easily achievable at League Start)
+ SSF Viable

Cons
- Closed in maps and terrain are annoying
- Need to level with a different skill
- Takes time to master positioning to maximise damage
- Getting popular so gear can be expensive

Video Guides
Spoiler

SSF Guide
Spoiler

I have done an SSF playthrough in 3.16 and taken on all content (No Feared as could not get a Cortex Map to drop). This series follows the progress: (Beginning of the guide is a minion build but halfway through I start a Lightning Strike Character)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeXVETOoSNQsdp3S2krB2oNUub-P0RIT8

How to Play
Spoiler
This build is really simple to play. We clear most the screen with one or two hits and for bosses it is a case of dropping a totem, cursing the boss (with either curse on hit or manual), Hitting Vaal Lightning Strike and bursting down the boss.

With minimal investment this build can clear the entire Atlas and do so very quickly

The key to lightning Strike is positioning. Static Bosses are easiest which is what makes this a good all rounder as all the big bosses are static.

You need to position yourself with a small gap between you and your target and this ensures that you hit twice if you have +1 Strike on either your gloves or run ancestral call

Defences Explained (Help I keep Dying!)
Spoiler

The guide previously advised getting block and travelling to the bottom of the tree. This is really not needed after lots of testing so have rejigged the tree and updated the POB

I have found that Grace, Ghost Dance, elusive and immortal call is enough for all content in the game on softcore (Not including Uber stuff like level 30 simulacrum).

I have done an SSF run to 95 using only these defences and cleared all content (Except the feared, but only as I cannot get a cortex map to drop). Other than big bosses I died once mapping.

For more defence you can add in a small armour cluster with gain endurance charge when hit or get this on a warlord chest.

If you find you are dying regularly you are either not following the guide in full or are maybe not moving and repositioning when a big telegraphed attack comes. Just evasion and spell suppression should mean you survive easily when mapping and just need to pay attention on bosses. You can tank uber elder shaper balls, The Blob beam in Maven and Sirus Die Beam

The key to defences are:
100% spell suppression
100% ailment avoidance
4.5k life + 600 energy shield + Ghost Dance

Do not try and walk before you can run this build has a gradual build up. Take your time in yellow maps and do not attempt red maps until you have a 6 link and are at least level 86. Move on to T14+ when your gems are 20 or close to 20 and your level is in the high 80s. This build lacks a bit of life until you get some levels under your belt

League Start and Levelling Guide - 3.17 Ready
Spoiler

3.17 Levelling Guide https://youtu.be/CNAqH0h4NjM

You will need a Vaal lightning Strike gem when you reach maps so every time you get a vaal orb go back to act 1 and buy a lightning strike from Nessa and vaal it.

After level 12 hit every vaal side area you come across.

I would also fill any empty weapon swap gem sockets with lightning strike gems as eventually we want several 20% quality gems to Vaal so we can eventually have a 20/20 vaal Lightning Strike

Act 1:

On killing Brutus and entering Lioneyes Watch buy SPLITTING STEEL from Nessa and a two handed sword from Tarkleigh

Throughout act 1 keep checking for movement speed boots and an item with GGG Links

On completing Tidal islands pick up ONSLAUGHT and link to Splitting Steel and pick up DASH from tarkleigh

When reaching Prison pick up added ADDED COLD DAMAGE and add to links. Also buy WAR BANNER & DECOY TOTEM. You will be able to equip these once you pick up Primal Spirit Passive

Drop war banner on bosses and use decoy totems to avoid damage

After you leave Prison collect WHIRLING BLADES from Tarkleigh. look out for claws (Sharktooth Claw or Awl). If you find hatred or Anger essences use these on claws, but white claws will be fine for Act 1.

When reaching Merviels cavern and after killing fairgraves buy SPECTRAL HELIX from Nessa and replace Splitting Steel

Equip 2 x Claws
Buy 2 x Sapphire rings or trade 2 x iron rings and 2 x blue skill gems (This will give you 2 sapphire rings)

Kill Merviel and progress to Act 2

Act 2:

When collecting the gem from Tolmen in Chamber of sins pick up HERALD OF ICE as a reward and if you can buy BLOOD RAGE. Equip and use both. If you have the currency buy SKITTERBOTS OR HERALD OF THUNDER
(whichever you can run with your intelligence requirements). Run these auras for more damage

When killing weaver collect FASTER ATTACKS and link to whirling blades. Use this as your main movement skill and keep dash in your gems as you will need this to cross gaps

When you can afford to pick up ELE DAMAGE WITH ATTACKS & TRINITY and then level these in your weapon swaps

Kill All Bandits and then kill act boss and move to Act 3

Act 3:

From here on out be on the lookout for claw upgrades. You are looking for anything with flat elemental damage as we start picking up % ele damage nodes on the tree. Only use claws with base attack speed of 1.5+

Also start looking out for 4 links. You can use various different 4 links with any gems from:
Spectral Helix, Trinity (Make Sure it procs), Ele damage with attacks, added cold, onslaught, Faster Attacks

When you "Rescue" Tolman buy ANGER & PURITY OF ELEMENTS from Clarissa.

Equip these auras and drop your other auras. With Anger you should be able to proc trinity but if not replace this with another gem.

Your ideal 4 Link will be either:
Helix - Added Cold - Ele Damage with Attacks - Trinity

If you CANNOT proc Trinity it would be:
Helix - Added Cold - Ele Damage with Attacks - Onslaught

This is now all the gems you need before hitting Act 6 when you can pick up the other gems for the build from Lilly.

From here on out just keep looking for claw upgrades and movement speed boot upgrades

Useful Levelling uniques. Do not buy these but equip them if you find them:
- Gold Rim
- Tabula
- Prismweave
- Berek's Rings
- Wonderlust

EARLY MAPPING:

Upon hitting maps you want to keep using Helix and 2 claws until find an imperial claw with attack speed, crit and any form of ele damage and a shield with 30% ailment immunity

At this point you can swap purity of elements for Grace. Make sure you are still resistance capped.

From here on it is just a case of upgrading your gear to have better life, ele damage and resistances.

when you get a 5 link you can swap to vaal lightning strike. Your 5 link should be:
Vaal Lightning Strike - Ancestral Call - Trinity - Nightblade Support - Added Cold/Inspiration/Ele Damage with attacks

When you get a 6 link add any of the gems you did not include in your 5 link

When you get your +1 Strike Gloves add in the remaining missing gem.

*** IMPORTANT ***
You will also need to take piercing shots on the tree as without pierce Lightning Strike feels awful. This is until you get an enchanted helm and can them dump these nodes

POBs -3.18 Full POB

Loot Filter
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Adders79

(Follow filter called A1claw for levelling filter or Mappingclaw for strict filter that shows imperial claws for when you get to maps)

Ascendancy
Spoiler

- Way of the Poacher - Quartz Infusion - Avatar of the Veil - Avatar of the Slaughter

Bandits
Spoiler

Kill all or Alira. End Game is 2 skill points but feel free to take Alira if it makes levelling easier

Pantheons
Spoiler

I will be running Soul of Lunaris as Major
Minor there are a few good options:
Yugul - 50% reflect damage reduction & 30% less effect of Curses
Ralekesh - Take no extra Damage from bleeding whilst moving

How to gear when you get to maps ***IMPORTANT***
Spoiler

Before moving over to Vaal Lightning Strike you need to:
- Allocate pierce nodes on the tree (Piercing Shots). You can respec these later when you get pierce on gear
- 5 Link minimum with ancestral call in the links. This can be replaced with a damage gem when you get +Strike gloves
Vaal Lightning Strike - Ancestral Call - Added Cold - Trinity - Nightblade Support (Make sure trinity procs when you switch)
- Imperial Claw with:
Attack Speed (20%)
Added Lightning Damage. Max number should be at least 150
Empty Prefix to craft either cold damage of fire damage
(Nice to have) Critical Strike Chance
- Mark on hit set up
- Withering Step on Left Click

This should be enough to farm early yellow maps. Your first upgrade is obviously a 6 link. Search for a corrupted one with the gem colours you are after if you need a cheap 6 link

Next upgrades are to get pierce on gear and strike gloves. Pierce is available as a craft from syndicate (+1 pierce) on boots and gloves and costs a divine. This is a good interim option if pierce boots are too expensive

Single Target Rotation
Spoiler

This can take some getting used to if you have not played builds with multi totems and Vaal skills:

You want your vaal lightning strike available for bosses.

Rotation for Optimal DPS:
- Drop Totems
- Activate Flasks
- Activate 2 x Vaal Lightning Strike
- Attack Boss with Lightning Strike

For maps with a conqueror fight I like to leave some mobs alive near the boss area. I then use all my Vaal skills on the boss then go and kill more mobs to get my charges back before taking on conquerors

Gem Links
Spoiler

6 Link with Hunter Additional Strike Gloves or Tribal Fury Annointed on Amulet
Spoiler

Vaal Lightning Strike - Added Cold Damage - Nightblade Support - Inspiration Support - Ele Damage with Attacks - Trinity

6 Link without Hunter Additional Strike Gloves
Spoiler

Vaal Lightning Strike - Added Cold Damage - Nightblade Support - Ancestral Call - Trinity- Ele Damage/Inspiration

Totems
Spoiler

Ancestral Protector - Multi Totem Support - Culling Strike

If you want more boss damage you can add a normal ancestral warchief into this set up but I don't like having to press another button

You can drop culling strike when you get it on the tree or glove

Auras
Spoiler

Grace - Precision - Anger - Defiance Banner

You will need the reservation wheel, precision 100% reservation Mastery and Grace 25% Mastery to run these comfortably

Curses
Spoiler

Assassins Mark - Mark on Hit Support

Movement Skill
Spoiler

Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Flame Dash (Unlinked) - Withering Step (Unlinked)

Withering step is very important as it helps is reset the nightblade elusive buff increasing our damage. Use this skill on LMB/Move

Flame Dash is just used to clear gaps and as a safe movement skill in boss fights

Optional Gems
Spoiler

I like to run Cast on Death Portal for juiced content.

Cast When Damage Taken Setup
Spoiler

CWDT (Level 3) - Immortal Call (Level 5) - Increased Duration - Inspiration
Feel free to push the CWDT gems higher but watch out for Mana cost which is why inspiration is linked

Last edited by Adders79 on May 12, 2022, 5:24:31 AM
Last bumped on Jun 27, 2022, 6:01:28 PM
Gear
Spoiler

YOU WANT TO GET EVASION ON ALL YOUR GEAR. IF YOU CAN RUN PURE EVASION BASES AND SHIELD

Gearing Explained

It can be quite difficult to get all the pieces together so you goal is:
- 6 Link first
- Strike Hunter Gloves/Tribal Fury Annointed Amulet
- Shaper Ring
- Lethal Pride
- Boots with +2 Pierce/Lightning Strike Enchant on Helmet
- Mark of the Elder
- Reservation amulet
- Blizzard crown (eventually with herald of ice reservation)
- End Game 6 link with Ghost Dance

Weapon
You want an Imperial Claw with:
- Attack Speed (At least 22%)
- Crit Chance
- Elemental Damage (Any type is fine and the more the better)
- Craft Ele penetration if you have a spare prefix

Shield
Ideally on here you want a base that gives movement speed:
- Life
- Spell Suppression
- 30% ailment avoidance
- Resists

Body Armour

You have lots of options here. You can go Farruls Fur for instant Power and Frenzy Charges.

My recommendation early on is a Hunter/Elder Chest il84 with Attacks have % chance to crit as this is easy to roll with attack or crit crafts in Harvest. You want like on it and craft 10% of life as Extra Energy Shield (Gravicius Unlock)

If these are too expensive due to the conqueror changes check out what new influenced mods you can roll that boost DPS

There are lots of other options such as:
- Warlord Socketed Gems -15 Mana Cost
- Power Charge on Hit
- Extra Curse

These again are all influenced though so the same applies to the above

End Game in 3.16 was Crusader/Warlord with Chance to gain Power Charge on Critical Strike + Chance to gain an Endurance Charge every second when hit. Again craft %Life as Extra Energy Shield

If silly money look for alternative new influenced mods once you have a nice chest.

Gloves

Gloves with +1 strike additional target (Searing Exarch mod or available on hunter gloves). Exarch mod is easily the better option as still allows you to recraft the gloves. Stats to aim for:
- Life
- Resistances
- Attack Speed
- Accuracy (Optional)

For end game awakener orb together (Warlord +1 Frenzy + Elevated Hunter Additional Strike (+2)]

Helmet
BiS will be a Blizzard Helm with Lightning Strike Pierce Enchant if you do not have this on boots:
- Life
- Res
- Crafted Phys Taken as Fire (Korrell Syndicate Unlock)

Second would be a DEX redeemer helmet il 83+ with 10% Phys damage taken as cold

Cheaper option would be any helmet with life, res and then craft using Life Fossils

Boots

Rare Boots with:

Hunter il 80 boots with:
- Life
- Projectiles pierce 2 additional targets (If you do not have LS Enchant)
- Life
- resists
- Tailwind (Expensive)

Craft movement speed + Onslaught (Syndicate Unlock)

Rings

Mark of The Elder + Shaper Ring (No Longer Assassins Mark on Hit. I would use this ring to stack flat damage, Attributes/Resistances

Amulet

Rare Amulet which will need STR and INT:
- Life
- Flat Ele Damage/Ele Damage with Attacks
- Crit Multi/Crit Chance
- Crafting - Mana cost to skills is a good idea
* Annoint Divine Judgement (Cheap and Strong) or if you have 7+ Frenzy Charges annoint Disciple of the Slaughter

Belt
This is where we need a ton of resists and probably some strength as this will make it cheaper to gear the influenced items as we will not need as much resistances on them. I am running this Heavy Belt, but BIS would be a Stygian Vise with High Elemental Damage to Attacks, T1 Life and lots of resists

Cluster Jewels
Spoiler

Non cluster jewel version works almost as well so do not feel you need to add in cluster jewels

8 passive lightning or cold jewel with:

- Stormrider (Needed)
- Sadist
- Prismatic Heart (We do not allocate this it just saves points)

You do not need to allocate Prismatic Heart this is just to save points.

Stormrider gives us power charges which is a huge DPS boost.

Jewels

Spoiler

Lethal Pride Legion Jewel

We put a Lethal Pride Jewel here. You will need to use Divine Orbs on it to get stats the help us. This jewel randomly allocates extra stats to any notables you have specced on your tree.

You are looking for:

- Intimidate on hit
- Chance to deal double damage
- Life %
- Physical Damage taken as fire damage

If you can both intimidate and double damage that is a huge DPS increase

Other Jewels

For other Jewels you want:
- Life
- Critical Strike Multiplier with Lightning Skills
- Critical Strike Multiplier with Elemental Skills
- Attack Speed (With Shield/Claw or one handed Weapon

Any Mix will be good.

Flasks
Spoiler

I do not run Quicksilver flasks as feel with whirling blades we do not really need more movement speed with elusive & Whirling Blades. I run:
- Jade Flasks for extra Evasion - Try and get increased Evasion as a Suffix
- Silver Flask for Onslaught - Suffix up to you but I recommend Poison
- Atziri's Promise/Sulphur Flask
- Bleeding Life Flask
- Diamond Flask

End Game Bottled Faith is amazing

Last edited by Adders79 on Apr 25, 2022, 7:23:36 PM
Great guide dude, also your youtube videos are great! Looking forward to trying this on the new league.
Can't wait for the 3.16 version, this looks so good.
What about going gladiator?

"
Violent Retaliation: Now has Ignore Enemy Monster Physical Damage Reduction if you've blocked in the past 20 seconds, and Attack Damage is Lucky if you've Blocked in the past 20 seconds
Hey there!

Found your YouTube guides a couple days ago, and I am excited to play this build for Scourge.

Thank you very much!
"
ryukenden wrote:
What about going gladiator?

"
Violent Retaliation: Now has Ignore Enemy Monster Physical Damage Reduction if you've blocked in the past 20 seconds, and Attack Damage is Lucky if you've Blocked in the past 20 seconds

Wouldn’t really work for this build since we do nearly 100% ele damage. I am sure lightning strike would work for lots of classes but gonna stick with Raider for now 😁
"
Steelhart1 wrote:
Hey there!

Found your YouTube guides a couple days ago, and I am excited to play this build for Scourge.

Thank you very much!

Thanks. Should be a full 3.16 guide up over the next few days on YouTube
Thank you for making this text guide, I found your videos last league and fell in love with Lightning Strike. I am curious, why do you suggest not leveling with LS? Is Helix just simply better? Thanks :)
"
BoogieSmalls wrote:
Thank you for making this text guide, I found your videos last league and fell in love with Lightning Strike. I am curious, why do you suggest not leveling with LS? Is Helix just simply better? Thanks :)

Lightning strike feels very bad without really high arrack speed, pierce and Vaal. I levelled with it in 3.15…wasn’t fun

Helix just has way better single target.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info