Baeclast Podcast with Chris Wilson

Honestly there wasn't a great amount of topics rectified here. Many things discussed however. A lot of 'we'll have to look into that' and 'maybe I can ask someone about that'.

Also not a SINGLE MTX related question in the 3+ hour podcast. :/

Edit: Apparently there were some MTX conversations, but certainly not the questions I would have asked.
Confront those who dare obstruct the transmission of your information with swift rejection, for they sit silently obsessing over your submission.
Last edited by mostbrilliant2 on Aug 12, 2021, 12:57:35 AM
I found this to be a very interesting podcast.

On the one hand - Chris comes off as someone who is overly sensitive and frankly, a bit narcissistic when it comes to players and his vision. Its been a war that's been going on for quite some time.

On the flip side - it looks like he's finally figured out (or maybe Tencent and their investors really took his ass to task) that he cannot lord his hardcore, masochistic vision over the entire game without jeopardizing revenue by a significant amount.

So it seems he can have his wet dream in his "masochist" mode for POE, while finally, FINALLY realizing that the majority of players do NOT like that play style.

What also concerns the hell out of me is the discussions of chase items. That his entire development team doesn't get it says a TON. It's no wonder the game feels unrewarding; the way Chris answered the question, it sounds like they have no idea what chase items are, or how they work, or how they are supposed to be.

And because they don't know how to work it, they fail to make the game feel rewarding. It goes hand in hand.

I hope Zizaran in his follow up can educate Chris on chase items and how they should be implemented. Adding super rare items to a very general loot drop pool doesn't make something a chase item. The ability to target farm an item is what makes it a chase item, since target farming is the "chase".

Merely having good items doesn't make them chase items. They have to be obtainable in a predictable way....
ancient game but devs care alot, i love it
"
ZionHalcyon wrote:
I hope Zizaran in his follow up can educate Chris on chase items and how they should be implemented. Adding super rare items to a very general loot drop pool doesn't make something a chase item. The ability to target farm an item is what makes it a chase item, since target farming is the "chase".

Merely having good items doesn't make them chase items. They have to be obtainable in a predictable way....

That's a really good point. Sort of hearkens back to the days of MMORPGs where you farmed certain raids for raid tokens or boss specific gear drops. While POE does have boss specific drops, they are generally considered 'broad upgrades' rather than build enabling or build enhancing uniques.

Perhaps they could experiment with this concept by creating new divination cards which are attached to certain maps or bosses which encourage farming specific regions/areas to obtain them (fire item for one region, ice for another, ect). I know there are a few divination cards in existence which are currently attached to boss/map drops, but maybe allowing people to obtain more 'build enabling' uniques depending on what region they're farming in would create more competition or thrill between the atlas zones.
Last edited by TheIronBankofBraavos on Aug 12, 2021, 12:09:34 AM
I will actualy believe you guys when i see all the changes.

Until you stop locking QOL stuff just so you can open the chest of QOL now when you are in danger is a very bad move.

Until then im not even atempting next league because you guys promise alot of shit and nothing was made. Just nerfs after nerfs and 0 QOL stuff .

You lost your trust in the playerbase. Until you revert back the game how it was it wont change with some words here and there and fake promises .

Have fun and good luck next league , its gonna be worse than this one in terms of revenue if you dont fix your shit and start listening to feedback instead of discarding it.
Last edited by BlackFlame on Aug 12, 2021, 12:16:33 AM
"
"
ZionHalcyon wrote:

That's a really good point. Sort of hearkens back to the days of MMORPGs where you farmed certain raids for raid tokens or boss specific gear drops. While POE does have boss specific drops, they are generally considered 'broad upgrades' rather than build enabling or build enhancing uniques.

Perhaps they could experiment with this concept by creating new divination cards which are attached to certain maps or bosses which encourage farming specific regions/areas to obtain them (fire item for one region, ice for another, ect). I know there are a few divination cards in existence which are currently attached to boss/map drops, but maybe allowing people to obtain more 'build enabling' uniques depending on what region they're farming would create more competition or thrill between the atlas zones.

I got even further in the podcast, and Chris Wilson basically confirmed he and his team do NOT get it. Like ACTIVELY.

He said he wants it to go AWAY from bosses dropping uniques, and just have the excitement of things in a random drop pool that you might only see once every 3 leagues or so.

Chris keeps going back to the example of opening boosters for Magic the gathering.

It really, REALLY strikes me as out of touch - like WILLFULLY out of touch, and one of those moments where people like me will say Chris's vision is out of touch with what the majority of players want for the game.

Most of us WANT deterministic boss drops. Breach was a good example of something that overall, feels right. Sirus is another example. Players want more like THAT. THAT is what most players think of when they hear chase items, not this weird, insular booster pack definition Chris gave on the podcast.

It would make SENSE to players, especially new players for instance, to farm Doedre for Doedre's Scorn, or Doedre's Damning, or Doedre's Madness. Or farm Kitava for Kitava's Thirst or Kitava's Feast.

Easy to understand, easy to comprehend.

And then on top of it, if Chris wants to have some other, super cool items like headhunters in the general pool, then cool - that adds to the game.

Point is, it doesn't have to be either-or. It can be both and Chris doesn't understand that.

"
Honestly there wasn't a great amount of topics rectified here. Many things discussed however. A lot of 'we'll have to look into that' and 'maybe I can ask someone about that'.

Were we watching the same podcast? they spent like 20 minutes on lootboxes and monetization
Did you know kiwi (kiwifruit) are actually berries, and it is a national fruit of China? Also, their name is a big marketing ploy by a major exporter, New Zealand.
Delve fractured wall guide: view-thread/2204851
Legion Emblem Carry thread: view-thread/2598853
Great podcast guys!! I totally love my 1c unique chase items that I totally use on my character! I only have 4 challenges and haven't made it past t2 maps but I love your game! Bring on the nerfs!! Screw those reddit guys who haven't played the real endgame!!
"
ZionHalcyon wrote:
I found this to be a very interesting podcast.

On the one hand - Chris comes off as someone who is overly sensitive and frankly, a bit narcissistic when it comes to players and his vision. Its been a war that's been going on for quite some time.

On the flip side - it looks like he's finally figured out (or maybe Tencent and their investors really took his ass to task) that he cannot lord his hardcore, masochistic vision over the entire game without jeopardizing revenue by a significant amount.

So it seems he can have his wet dream in his "masochist" mode for POE, while finally, FINALLY realizing that the majority of players do NOT like that play style.

What also concerns the hell out of me is the discussions of chase items. That his entire development team doesn't get it says a TON. It's no wonder the game feels unrewarding; the way Chris answered the question, it sounds like they have no idea what chase items are, or how they work, or how they are supposed to be.

And because they don't know how to work it, they fail to make the game feel rewarding. It goes hand in hand.

"
Erisymum wrote:
"

Were we watching the same podcast? they spent like 20 minutes on lootboxes and monetization

Oh wow, I didn't see that part I must have unintentionally skipped at some point. Thx
Confront those who dare obstruct the transmission of your information with swift rejection, for they sit silently obsessing over your submission.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info