Game Mechanics Q&A Answers Part 2

"
Ruffleberg wrote:
You seem confident with no evidence.

I'm not confident that streamer RNG does not exist. I am confident that no credible evidence of streamer RNG has been found. If it had, the community would be in complete uproar. Anecdotes are all people have when trying to argue the existence of streamer RNG.

There is a difference between healthy skepticism ("The possibility of streamer RNG exists; therefore, we should should not discount credible evidence if it presents itself") and conspiracy-seeking ("The possibility of streamer RNG exists; therefore, it must be happening, regardless of a lack of evidence").

"
Ruffleberg wrote:
3.14 is not the first league where streamers appear to have less crashes/queues.

This is entirely unrelated to streamer priority arguments. PoE's spectrum of performance is a complete mess. Many people with high-end PCs have dreadful performance and frequent crashes. Many people with low-end or mid-range PCs have great performance and very few crashes.

"
Ruffleberg wrote:
Quite a few streamers are concerned about what other behind the scenes manipulation GGG is capable of at the individual account level. Raiz in particular said he would probably quit if he found out his RNG was being manipulated because he was a streamer.

This is pure worrymongering. GGG is capable of any number of things in PoE because they made the game. They're undoubtedly capable of specifically targeting your account and giving you worse RNG than everyone else. Why would they do that? It doesn't benefit them at all.

The argument then becomes, "how would it benefit GGG to give streamers better RNG than other players?" The obvious answer is that it would make viewers of those streams think, "Wow, I could find this lucky drop too! I should play more PoE!" Thus, more players would be attracted. The problem is that some people stop their critical inquiry at this point, concluding that it could only ever benefit GGG without considering other ramifications, namely:
- The impact that poor RNG for non-streamers could have on overall player retention (and thus on store purchases)
- The negative press that would result from a chain reaction of streamers quitting PoE if such RNG manipulation were uncovered
- The irreversible brand damage that would result from such negative press
Last edited by nunka on May 27, 2021, 8:54:38 PM
"
nunka wrote:
"
Ruffleberg wrote:

I'm not confident that streamer RNG does not exist. I am confident that no credible evidence of streamer RNG has been found. If it had, the community would be in complete uproar. Anecdotes are all people have when trying to argue the existence of streamer RNG.

There is a difference between healthy skepticism ("The possibility of streamer RNG exists; therefore, we should should not discount credible evidence if it presents itself") and conspiracy-seeking ("The possibility of streamer RNG exists; therefore, it must be happening, regardless of a lack of evidence").

"
Ruffleberg wrote:
3.14 is not the first league where streamers appear to have less crashes/queues.

This is entirely unrelated to streamer priority arguments. PoE's spectrum of performance is a complete mess. Many people with high-end PCs have dreadful performance and frequent crashes. Many people with low-end or mid-range PCs have great performance and very few crashes.

"
Ruffleberg wrote:
Quite a few streamers are concerned about what other behind the scenes manipulation GGG is capable of at the individual account level. Raiz in particular said he would probably quit if he found out his RNG was being manipulated because he was a streamer.

This is pure worrymongering. GGG is capable of any number of things in PoE because they made the game. They're undoubtedly capable of specifically targeting your account and giving you worse RNG than everyone else. Why would they do that? It doesn't benefit them at all.

The argument then becomes, "how would it benefit GGG to give streamers better RNG than other players?" The obvious answer is that it would make viewers of those streams think, "Wow, I could find this lucky drop too! I should play more PoE!" Thus, more players would be attracted. The problem is that some people stop their critical inquiry at this point, concluding that it could only ever benefit GGG without considering other ramifications, namely:
- The impact that poor RNG for non-streamers could have on overall player retention (and thus on store purchases)
- The negative press that would result from a chain reaction of streamers quitting PoE if such RNG manipulation were uncovered
- The irreversible brand damage that would result from such negative press

Were you confident there was no queue skipping for streamers before they were caught?
Did they tell us there was queue skipping before they were caught?

Are you confident if there was streamer loot increases they would tell you before they were caught?
WARNING: Do not give GGG money. Never forgive the content creator priority uncovered during 3.14 Ultimatum league.
GGG got caught giving content creators in game advantages, only when caught would they tell the player base they were doing this. This will continue, but more slyly.
Nice
Last edited by Lwe1389 on May 27, 2021, 9:22:00 PM
The map equity bit was interesting to learn. I never knew that.
Will you do anything about trialmaster people talk a lot about now?
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
"
Ruffleberg wrote:
"
nunka wrote:
Streamer RNG does not exist. Streamer-specific seeds do not exist. The streamer client does not exist. Streamer priority queues occurred for *one day* (out of the 3000+ days PoE has been live) as a major screw-up by GGG during a paid promotional push.

3.14 is not the first league where streamers appeared to have less crashes/queues.

Why would GGG implement someone that would infuriate EVERYONE?

Almost every streamer loathes anything that even comes close to the point of cheating or favouritism.

Stream watchers would hate it.

Players who neither stream nor watch streams would hate it.

Were GGG to make RNG manipulation that specifically targetted streamers, the ONE method that would make sense for them would be to only apply to HC streamers, and to increase the chance of monsters landing criticals on high level players.

Good for streamers, because RIP clips perform extremely well as content.

Good for viewers, because RIP clips are exciting.

Neutral for non-streamers because it doesn't undermine the competitive aspects of the game.

Why anyone thinks GGG would do the opposite - a hidden easy mode for streamers - is completely beyond me. Up there with some of the most self-inconsistent conspiracy theories.
Le Toucan Will Return
The Maven belts that change your charges - does this render useless any effects you might have for having a frenzy/power/endurance charge? I.e. 'evasion rating per frenzy charge' or even 'frenzy charge duration' - doe those work with affliction charges when Olesya's Delight is equipped? Or do they become useless?
"
sirgog wrote:

I agree with don't suppose conspiracies are true with no evidence, but this is the worst possible argument to use straight after they did something that almost no one in the community thought was good.

Ok, it was neutral to some people, but also lots of people were actually infuriated, and basically only empyrean was happy with it.

So why would they do something that could infuriate everyone? They didn't think what would happen if it was found OR they assumed it wouldn't, pretty simple, actually.

Did GGG actually do that? I believe no, but still, I'd like to ask why they had the tools ready to flag some accounts for privileges in less than half an hour. Clearly they didn't build it from scratch, so what did they base it on?
At the end of the day, it's their game, they will do whatever it takes to increase the money. If you don't like it, play some other ARPG.

I do want to point out that after 3.14 I don't trust GGG anymore. Fool me once curse on you, fool me twice, curse on me.
Last edited by gruumine on May 27, 2021, 10:39:52 PM
"
west_deceiver wrote:
"
sirgog wrote:

I agree with don't suppose conspiracies are true with no evidence, but this is the worst possible argument to use straight after they did something that almost no one in the community thought was good.

Ok, it was neutral to some people, but also lots of people were actually infuriated, and basically only empyrean was happy with it.

So why would they do something that could infuriate everyone? They didn't think what would happen if it was found OR they assumed it wouldn't, pretty simple, actually.

Did GGG actually do that? I believe no, but still, I'd like to ask why they had the tools ready to flag some accounts for privileges in less than half an hour. Clearly they didn't build it from scratch, so what did they base it on?

Funny thing was, the people who did 'best' out of the 3.14 botched launch was ... the people in EU timezone who decided 'screw pulling an all nighter, I'll go to bed and start at 6am Saturday my time'. Or people whose job or other responsibilities caused them to miss the first 12 hours of the league.

Offering priority to big name POE streamers was a mistake they learned from and committed not to do again. Offering priority to non-POE people like Shroud was (IMO) completely fine although they also committed not to doing that again too.

Of course they have the tools - can't have a GM be unable to get into the server at shift handover because of a queue.
Le Toucan Will Return

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info