3.14 Toxic Rain - Leaguestart guide with in depth crafting and gearing section - updated

"
Vennto wrote:
The Topic of TR Leaguestart has been covered on multiple occasions, no need for another wall of text.

this is basically why i haven't made a TR guide.
TR is just too popular now-a-days too. its my favourite skill so it makes me sad. i basically do everything i can to not play it
"
xMustard wrote:
"
Vennto wrote:
The Topic of TR Leaguestart has been covered on multiple occasions, no need for another wall of text.

this is basically why i haven't made a TR guide.
Heh, I was thinking about making one somewhere back in delirium / harvest but then few weeks later Remi's guide came out and it's kinda lame to have duplicate guides, I saw that when TR trickster resurged in popularity in delirium with pre-nerf clusters there was at some point 4-5 concurrent TR guides but atm only the oldest one survived, the rest of them died because people will always check the one that is oldest with most comments. So I just pass by existing threads.

"
xMustard wrote:
. i basically do everything i can to not play it
Eh, I'm waiting for GGG to add a skill I'd like more than another variant of CA/TR combo, every time I try to play something else it's a flop one way or another. The build just hits a sweet spot around medium budget, which is what I usually have at my disposal, "better" builds are usually better at higher investment than what I have each league.
"
Vennto wrote:

...But thank you OP for your time and effort regardless.
...narf
"
Viktranka wrote:
Eh, I'm waiting for GGG to add a skill I'd like more than another variant of CA/TR combo, every time I try to play something else it's a flop one way or another. The build just hits a sweet spot around medium budget, which is what I usually have at my disposal, "better" builds are usually better at higher investment than what I have each league.

yeah this is essentially how i feel.
i like to try to find some of the strongest league starting builds. builds that can be played from the start, with zero budget, and scale to a medium investment and gauge its power vs others i've done.

there are other good options out there but nothing comes very close to toxic rain. CA is great too, but eh it just doesn't scale nearly as well so i almost exclusively use TR.

im probably only going to play SSF from here on out, and i just don't see how a league start TR deadeye beating the game with quill rain and tabula can be matched.
i do suspect nerfs in 3.14 though (mostly because of the 2x MTX release in 3.13), and unfortunately i think GGG will nerf the best thing about TR which is its QoL and/or mechanics.
what would nearly kill TR in a heartbeat is if they made the skill scale with area the same way Rain of Arrows does. it would make area scaling beneficial for clear but absolute garbage for single target, and for some reason i have a feeling this is on the horizon for our baby
"
xMustard wrote:
i do suspect nerfs in 3.14 though (mostly because of the 2x MTX release in 3.13)
xD
That's why I put Celestial TR on my watchlist but holding off with buying it just in case...

It sucks though it took them 2,5 years to introduce more than 1 mtx for such a common skill meanwhile newer skill like carrion golem got several in a span of less than a year.

Tbh I wanted to revisit my bane build but first they screwed curse effectiveness / vixen, and now I saw people found out new way to scale it with indigon + divergent berserk but I smell nerfs of that for 3.14 as well...

If they "nerf" TR they could at least change it in a way you can scale it further with investment, other builds can achieve 50mil+ damage and TR just tapers off. If they want to make it worse in trash gear how about they make it not hit this glass ceiling it has. Still the ceiling is higher than let's say RF builds or worse, Death's Oath, but why is it there?

Oh, and if they nerf TR but don't touch BV or BF/BB I'll be mad. These skills scale way higher while also being played as starters.
Here are a couple of questions:

1. Why do you recommend blastchain mine (for TR) over ballista TR?
- I tried both of them, feels easier to spam 3 ballistas and then deal with CA and dodging rather than always spam mines.

2. I think Vitality is great starting with level 8. Makes running very smooth. What's your take on that?

3. I would usually drop skitterbots in act 6 and take Malevolance. With some luck (taking Charisma on tree, that is) I can also use Flash and Stone. What do you think about this?

4. Again, starting with Act 6 I would usually go for Despair + Hextouch + Scourge Arrow (and maybe Mirage Archer if I have 4L). Feels so easy to apply the curse with Scourge Arrow...

5. What do you think about (starting with level 38) having a golem (I usually go for chaos golem) + Withering Touch Support for free wither. Feels somehow better than a totem (especially since I play with Ballista)

Looking forward for your hearing your opinion.
"
Viktranka wrote:
If they "nerf" TR they could at least change it in a way you can scale it further with investment, other builds can achieve 50mil+ damage and TR just tapers off. If they want to make it worse in trash gear how about they make it not hit this glass ceiling it has. Still the ceiling is higher than let's say RF builds or worse, Death's Oath, but why is it there?

Oh, and if they nerf TR but don't touch BV or BF/BB I'll be mad. These skills scale way higher while also being played as starters.

ya i mean all DoT skills have a hard ceiling, which is relatively VERY low compared to other things. but TR has a much higher ceiling then basically any other DoT ability.

but i do love me the DoT abilities. assuming my predictions for 3.14 patch notes i'll probably just be league starting scorching ray hiero in SSF
"
Vennto wrote:

so what's the point of your post exactly?

i didn't make this for you, so move on
IGN JustifiedF
"
Cry0nicS wrote:
Here are a couple of questions:

1. Why do you recommend blastchain mine (for TR) over ballista TR?
- I tried both of them, feels easier to spam 3 ballistas and then deal with CA and dodging rather than always spam mines.

2. I think Vitality is great starting with level 8. Makes running very smooth. What's your take on that?

3. I would usually drop skitterbots in act 6 and take Malevolance. With some luck (taking Charisma on tree, that is) I can also use Flash and Stone. What do you think about this?

4. Again, starting with Act 6 I would usually go for Despair + Hextouch + Scourge Arrow (and maybe Mirage Archer if I have 4L). Feels so easy to apply the curse with Scourge Arrow...

5. What do you think about (starting with level 38) having a golem (I usually go for chaos golem) + Withering Touch Support for free wither. Feels somehow better than a totem (especially since I play with Ballista)

Looking forward for your hearing your opinion.

mines are basically there for the burst dps for act bosses and early labs/uber labs, you can stack 15-19 mines depending on how far in your tree you progressed, this makes every boss fight about twice as fast and twice as easy, totems aren't a bad choice for some extra oomph but they won't offer the same burst as mines

mine nodes are very concentrated around other chaos and damage over time nodes so you don't even go out of your way to get most of them which later turns into easy respeccing out of them

I personally think that experienced players can get away without flesh and stone for leveling, i simply offered what i think is fastest way to level while not striding to far out of the way of the endgame goal

if you think dropping skitterbots for flesh and stone is worth then you can do it

I don't really care for early game auras that much as i'd want enough unreserved mana after i run malevolence + skitterbots for maximum amount of mines to kill the boss as soon as possible, i think not being able to use the full burst defeats the purpose of speccing into mines early, but getting vitality before that is a fine option to use

i'm just so used to leveling with minimal gem slots/links that i don't bother that much, it's also not accessible to ranger so it's another one of those you gotta get someone else to buy it for you and i just focus on as fast early progression as possible
IGN JustifiedF
Excellent guide - I never would have thought about leveling as a miner. I tried Toxic Rain this past league and it is amazing for sure. I leveled as Caustic Arrow to 96 and I just threw in a toxic rain gem to see what it was like and enjoyed it enough to go to level 99.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info