Conversion Trap

"
Hi noob here. I rip in Beyond due desync/PoE client frozed/got DC after 2-3sec/logged-in/surprise! (and I don't event know what killed me. there wasn't a large pack of mobs) in Merc Docks a while ago, so I've been thinking about how to not let that happen again.

How about this setup:

I've tested CWDT + Conversion Trap my self. And it doesn't work :(
To prove, I add in IC, and yeah, IC the only one being cast.
I wish Conversion Trap worked with CWDT and/or Cast on Stun. I hope this is not too much to ask.

While writing this, I thought about CWDT + Skeletons. Would that have kept me alive? But still Conversion Trap + CWDT sounds good - add in skeletons and decoy totem + IC + Icr Duration = lol.

Edit:
How about "Trap When Damage taken" trigger gem?

Atleast you rest in peace in beyond.

Traps and mines don't work with cwdt afaik.
I'd say this is probably the best skill that no one uses. It's a huge tide turner in solo boss fights, such as being able to convert shock and horrors totems. My only complaint is that the duration is actually TOO long, because often enemies will either have died or had everything else around them die before they un-convert. If it were possible, I would absolutely LOVE if there were a way to dismiss converted enemies so that you can attack them, without having to wait for the timer to end. Like being able to right click on shrine buffs to remove them, but with converts.

Here's my gear so you can get some idea of what my build is, if you want to make this skill useful for you. Taking all the duration nodes on the tree is a must.
Spoiler
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
You can reduce the Conversion timer pretty easily. Don't link Increased Duration, or (in your case more practical) keep it at a lower level. Dropping to a level 1 CT, which only impacts its duration and nothing else, will reduce the total duration by ~40%.
/late

Also yes, CT is pretty great :) I never end up using it enough really. Maybe next league..
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 8, 2015, 6:26:39 AM
This skill is a lifesaver in the ruckus weekend, my own beyond pack for 25 seconds!
At one time I carried a "Soul Eater"-Nemesis-Rare across the whole map, that even got souls from my disappearing SRS (must have been 10.000 souls or something).
That rare had something like 10 attacks per second at the end of the map so I challenged players to beat him.

Everyone died within a second. So much fun. :D
Perception is reality.
I love it. If I have room on a character I always run it with multitraps and duration. I think it should count as a minion though if any type of build is going to center around this. If that is not an option because of rare mobs I would suggest that they stay non-minion but you should still be able to hit them. They should see all mobs as hostile.

If my converted guy kills something do I get the xp?
IGN: Strudely
Last edited by NormanOrville on Jun 23, 2015, 3:08:10 PM
The gem needs a little bit of altercations truly. Probably said this in an earlier post (not gonna check) but these are the changes it should get so that its more "friendly" in parties.

1) Converts monsters for x duration or until it takes x friendly hits (or some such). Since they are "temporary allies" you should be able to decide when to kill them. (Make their life bar yellow! green allies, red enemies, yellow temporary allies).
If i convert a rare to decimate the enemies, i wanna be able to kill him after hes done, not wait till his timer ends.

2) optional - converted enemies are buffed in some way (x speed/cast speed and x% damage dealt)

Really wanting to make a build based on this, the gems are there and getting better (conversion trap + aura buff master with haste + punishment on mobs = immense fun). The number one thing preventing this skill from becoming much more popular, is the fact that you cant terminate the temporary.
As i always state, the concept of this itself is superb. The lack of termination ability is what hurts it.

Please just let us hit the converted enemy already. Stop ignoring it. It's been stated and restated by myself and others, and it needs your love. Punishment got its much needed love (awesome change, but why just melee focus?), now share that love!
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
There are two problems with this skill.

1. It's overpowered, especially in certain situations.
2. It's not fun to use.

I assume the reason GGG hasn't nerfed it in spite of #1 is because so few people use it (due to #2).

There are a million ways you could address either of these, including some very good ideas already posted in this very thread. I'll add my own ideas for solutions, just because I like to pretend I'm special.

1. Limit the number of monsters that can be converted at any one time. And/or don't allow rares to be converted. (The latter would be much more effective, but you'd get a lot of hate for it from fans of this trap, so maybe the former would be better overall.)

2. Who wants to wait around for a timer to run out? We want to kill things faster! So make the monsters automatically switch teams (become hostile again) as soon as they run out of things to kill. That should be much easier to implement code-wise than the various conditional states proposed in this thread.

Someone proposed changing "conversion" to "confusion" earlier in this thread, which I thought was a very clever idea, but I think it would be better suited to a curse (which would have to be tweaked carefully lest it become overpowered).
Wash your hands, Exile!
i find it fun (and life saving) to convert foes (don't care what or how many) to fight for me and take hits while i escape or add my own damage around.

i agree it makes far less sense when durations get a bit interesting but it's the double edged sword we'll have to wield.

a "confusion" curse (or just status effect) sounds more like something thats halfway for what this trap does. where affected targets hurt anything in range and treat everything as a valid target. heck if the devs want and can, players are affected (be careful parties), we can communicate however so it'll just involve a lot more positioning than before... hopefully not for a boss battle but for a "30 vs 3" sort of fight.
Converted monsters' AI is very low.
They often stand there, doing nothing, if there are no mobs a few steps away from them.
I'd like them to follow me, and fight for me, as long as the conversion lasts
The Narra-Tor
"
By_Tor wrote:
Converted monsters' AI is very low.
They often stand there, doing nothing, if there are no mobs a few steps away from them.
I'd like them to follow me, and fight for me, as long as the conversion lasts

Likewise. The no.1 problem I have with the converted enemies is that they don't follow you, which greatly limits the use of this skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info