Fire Trap

I have a few questions regarding Fire traps or traps in general.

- Fire trap can be supported by life leech support gem, but I get no life back from the damage done. Is this intend or is a bug ?

- Fire trap when used with voll's protector give no power charges at all. Is this intend or is a bug ?

- The burning effect stacks on the ground if they are from different fire trap gems ?

And now one question regarding trap/remote mine, I would appreciate if you could answer if not I will ask in trap/remote mine support gem topic.

- Trap or remote mine in combination with Power Siphon, gives no power charges at all to the caster, instead the animation shows in the destroyed trap which make me believe the power charge is granted to the destroyed trap, again is this intended or a bug ?

just a side note, plz give some love to traps builds they are pretty viable to be used without other sort of attack, but some restrictions like those above make them kinda bad, especially the life leech one. Thx.
Last edited by paulofdias on Dec 26, 2012, 2:38:49 PM
1) the trap is getting the leaching, which expires on triggering its spell/attack, thus wasted.

2) the trap is getting the charge, which as mentioned above, vanishes.

3) only strongest DoT works at a given time. if a weaker one lasts longer than the stronger (or one happens after the other), then that weaker one will get its effect out when the stronger one is done.

4) currently intended, but we'll see on the launch of open beta, a lot of things are changing.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
1) the trap is getting the leaching, which expires on triggering its spell/attack, thus wasted.

2) the trap is getting the charge, which as mentioned above, vanishes.

3) only strongest DoT works at a given time. if a weaker one lasts longer than the stronger (or one happens after the other), then that weaker one will get its effect out when the stronger one is done.

4) currently intended, but we'll see on the launch of open beta, a lot of things are changing.

Hi thx for reply, about the burning effect I suspected that was like that but we can dream :P

About the life leech it really don't make any sense at all, why do I want to support a trap with life leech if the leech is given to the trap ?! its not that the trap will leech the HP back and keeps popping and only get destroyed when no more life is leeched, so for me this sound like a bug and not intended.
But I would really like to get some feedback from a Mark if possible when he comes back.
"
paulofdias wrote:
About the life leech it really don't make any sense at all, why do I want to support a trap with life leech if the leech is given to the trap ?!

Well, you don't want to, basically. It does nothing, after all. Just because the game allows you to link two skill gems, doesn't make it a good idea. *shrug*
SO WAIT
CAN WE HAVE FIRE TRAPS WITH CHANCE TO FEAR
TO HAVE
FEAR TRAPS
Ive been testing FT for a while and here is the summary of what I learned from a TOOLTIP data:

1) FT intrinsic DoT does NOT benefir from +% burning damage either from passives or items. these mods should either work or the description should mention that this burning is not "burning".

2) DoT does not benefit from fire/spelldamage as well

3) AoE passives/support work just well and are nice to combine with FT. However, concentrated effect has no effect on DoT.

4) Dual-wielding 2 Reakbeaks on low life does not inrease dot as well, though it increases explosion damage by 1.85 times. The fireball damage is amplified by 1.93 (165->373). With only 1 readbeak FB multiplies by 1.45, and FT by 1.42. Given same damage effectivesness that discrepancy is strange. I do not have projectile damage mods btw.

5) fire penetration doesnt apply to Dot either.

That leaves me with only one conclusion: burning dps SUCKS. 200 or so at endgame, when players do 2k+ dps on bad gear is plain nothing. The only way to use FT in endgame is to kill mobs with ele reflect. Thats a nice support option but using FT as a main skill given the ridiculous recharge duration is a bad mistake. I really look forward the times when trapper would be a viable spec.
Eh, last time I checked (4 month ago) burn passives increased the degeneration damage. Did that change? Now where I think about it, didn't fire passives increase this damage as well? Well, probably not, but could someone please clarify this? I'd like to do another fire trap witch.
UPD. Take my words back - I use now 3 instances of fire trap in a Searing touch. +2 to level gives a good boost to dps and with 3 FT gems each of them is on a separate cooldown/trap readiness count. After some training I manage to keep throwing traps all the time and with all AoE passives and AoE support I wreak burning inferno all over the place. I call it a "Grenadier" build. Very effective though needs some zombies for keeping mobs off me.
I was a bit surprised but this spell actually scales pretty decently, at the end of Ruthless(lvl 48) it's still doing serious damage, even though the mana cost is a bit high in my taste considering the cooldown/placement restriction. Not a bad spell if your build is lacking on aoe a bit, but sadly doesn't compare to "real" aoe either due to the dot nature. I'd reduce the mana cost a bit though, at my lvl it costs like 40mana without any supports on it, that's quite a lot of mana when not building blood magic or a caster with a bunch of int.
I plan on utilizing Fire Trap in OB. Is the trap going to change at all in Open Beta? I do not want to get to level 40 and find out the damage has been nerfed.

So using it with Poison arrow at higher levels ~58 is great for utilizing numberous dmg over time mods at once. I think fire trap is pretty good just as it is. It is high mana cost, but the dmg is also high as well so I think it scales well
IGN: YeahCrit

My Guides
Dual Claw Molten Strike Ranger HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1178252
Elmo Fire Templar HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/93967

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info