Fire Trap

Does the Concentrated Effect support gem affect the burning ground effect of Fire Trap? Earlier in this thread it's been said that it doesn't, but it was a very old post.
"
Teaboar wrote:
Does the Concentrated Effect support gem affect the burning ground effect of Fire Trap? Earlier in this thread it's been said that it doesn't, but it was a very old post.
doesn't chance damage, but does change size
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
"

I still don't get what you need

I am currently running this build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEBwR-BLMFWwW1DPIOSBGWFE0V8BmFGjgabBrbHwIj9iQ8JKomlSepKU8tHzB8Mok2PTbFNuk6WDwFPV8-z0yzUDBQQlFHUlNVS1fiWkhabWNDbRlte3BScNV35X11fyt_xoM4hX2HGYhri4yMNo19jb-QVZeVnaOdrp_fogCiLqKjpcunCKc0p1ynhKp_qri0-bVIvebAUcHz037UI9aK2CTjauOE5CLsOO4O73rvfO_w8B_xdvlj_Kv-ug==
I have problems handling Reflect aura packs, so I thought of using fire trap to deal with the nasty, nasty that is this situation. I currently have an empty 4 link on my boots or I could keep a searing touch in my off-set in order to get a 5linked (or just a 4linked, but with searing touch bonus) trap.
So, from then on I need to figure out the best 4link (or at max 5link) fire trap that might work with my build (the task at hand is to get rid of the white/blue mobs around the reflect rare or maybe even kill the rare from a distance and then switch to my regular AoE).
My build has a decent amount of crit and crit multi, so I thought I might be able to make this thing work with only the 4link and a reliance on those random crits.

I am a newbie with the Fire trap gem, so I was going by these assumtions:
I thought that increased burning damage support will increase the damage of the detonate crit AND the damage of the regular fire trap dot, making the biggest impact overall on the spell. (am I wrong with this assumption?)

I also thought that Fire Pen would be mandatory, because of resist on mobs.
I thought that I might not need chance to ignite, because I have 534% increased crit chance. That takes me up to 31% with fire trap and translates into 31% chance to ignite. Would I still get a decent benefit from Chance to ignite support gem?

I don't actually know how Chance to ignite links to fire trap. Does it give you a chance to ignite on the detonation or on the 1st tick of the dot or on ALL ticks of the dot?

And how would elemental prolif benefit fire trap? And would it benefit fire trap more than the MORE damage that conc effect gives?

If the problem is about Reflect, I would use a totem linked to your main skill. If you can't (i.e. melee, I see single melee node in the tree) and really want use Fire Trap.

Relying on initial detonation does not work. Indeed it has high damage, but it is one-time use. You will have to kill everything with 3 shoots, otherwise you will be forced to waaaaait a lot for recharge.
You have limited shots, so this would mean praying for crit. And with 30% crit chace you will no-crit 10 times in a row pretty often. I wouldn't rely on crit, using Fire Trap. You have it in your build, so it is just nice addition.
Secondly area of detonation is pretty small, which mean you will never kill all whites.

If you want Fire Trap to be effient AoE I would focus on burning damage. The trick is simple:
1. Fire Trap has high initial damage - which means high burning from ignite

2. Chance to ignite is to guarantee ignite every time. Chance to ignite rolled per enemy. If your Fire Trap hits 6 mobs, chance to ignite is applied to each mob. Say you are very unlucky and (with 50% chance to ignite) you managed to ignite only one mob (from pack of 6). What now? Only one is burning, perfect...
Why don't benefit from critical here? Because it is rolled once - per cast. You will have 30% to ignite, which is 30% to deal damage. What if you 'miss' 10 times in row? And you know you will.

3. Elemental Poliferation makes whole screen burn. Generally each Fire Trap detonation will ignite at least one mob. And this mean that all mobs will be bruning too.

Now you can use the rest of the sockets to increase damage even more. Most efficient gem is Increased Burning Damage - which is 4th socket.
5th socket can be used for your Fire Penetration. It will indeed increase damage, but imho Concentrated Effect will increase moar. Decreased area won't bother you much, because Elemental Poliferation radius is still high enough to burn whole group. TBH I don't think you will need 5th slot.

Keep in mind you don't have burning nodes, which would cut off a lot of damage. Maybe up to two times.

Of course, Fire Trap will be best used in Searing Touch on switch

With your crit chance/multi you will have nice bonus from time to time.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
Last edited by NinjaArabStrategist on Oct 8, 2013, 5:54:15 PM
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
I don't actually know how Chance to ignite links to fire trap. Does it give you a chance to ignite on the detonation or on the 1st tick of the dot or on ALL ticks of the dot?

NAS went over this but I wanted to clarify just a bit further:
Chance to Ignite is an on-Hit effect, which are rolled individually for each Hit.
Flat Damage causes a Hit, even if the Damage value is zero. The explosion will Hit.
Damage over Time does not Hit, or 'tick': it is a constant drain.
Thanks a lot for the info, guys!

If I could ask you two more things:
-do 2 fire traps stack on top of each other? (double the dot damage?)
-if 2 different fire sources ignite a single target, then do they add on top of each other or the second one replace the first one ?

Thanks a lot for your time!
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info, guys!

If I could ask you two more things:
-do 2 fire traps stack on top of each other? (double the dot damage?)
-if 2 different fire sources ignite a single target, then do they add on top of each other or the second one replace the first one ?

Thanks a lot for your time!

no
no, due to that you said ignite.

if there are different things causing burning damage (ignite status is one of them) like the ground burn and rf and searing bond. then all them add up. if there is a second of any of these (and maybe i missed one), the stronger then the longer lasting one takes priority.
I might have not made it clear enough.

I meant ignite as in the dot that is caused by chance to ignite support gem and critical strikes that deal fire damage. Simply put - do 2 ignites caused by 2 different critical strikes add up or not. And if not, which one takes priority?
proc chance overlaps between raw chance to ignite and the 100% ignite from the % chance to crit. the strongest burn of those two will always be active and others will just be around not doing anything untill the stronger is gone.
Thank you!
Fire trap, dosent the burning ground scale on how much much the trap does in dmg on the explosion ? makes a dot fromthat dmg like 30% of explosion on the ground over 5 sec ?

And does burning dmg nodes/gem affect the ground fire anything ?
Ingame name: Jinxedtotem / FearTheMonkeys

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info