Bear Trap

So my feedback; Beartrap works but it's not a very large bang for it's buck. If you sacrifice an additional gem slot for a trap support gem you can make more cost efficient traps that are better at immobilization, or damage, while being cheaper too.
try bear trap + added fire support gem. bear trap has a 150% damage mod (aka a multiplier of 50% for all damage it deals).
Do increased area of effect passives/support gems affect the trigger radius?
Nope. Only way to boost trigger radius is with trigger passives.
I understand bear trap is not a spell so it doesn't get bonus from spell damage.

If I add the support gem added fire damage, what nodes in the passive tree now add damage to this skill?

Fire Damage (Will Work?)
Elemental Damage (Will Work?)
Spell Damage (Still Won't Work?)

Thanks.
Last edited by NullPointer568 on Jan 31, 2013, 11:30:14 AM
I've just recently picked up Bear Trap on my ranger, enjoying it so far.

However, I noticed that once I linked it with the Increased Critical Damage gem the "Spell Critical Strike Chance" text gets replaced by the text above it. With the gems linked I now have two lines saying the exact same thing - "Spell Critical Strike Multiplier - 270%".

Changing zones seems to revert the change but if Bear Trap is leveled up or the support gem is removed and applied again the critical strike chance text turns into the multiplier one.

Didn't see this mentioned before, has anyone else noticed this?
It's just a display bug with the support gem. Known, and is harmless. It'll get fixed some day :P

@NullPointer: Correct on all accounts.
I'm playing an Ancestral Bond marauder, mainly using Shockwave Totem for damage but also using Flame Totem, Bear Trap, and Fireball mines situationally. I'm using Hatred and The Magnate unique belt to boost Shockwave Totem and Bear Trap damage.

Spoiler

I'm level 48 now, and I'm finding that Bear Trap is outshining Shockwave Totem more and more as I level, which is disheartening because the build was really supposed to focus on totems. I also feel like it takes a lot of fun out of Ancestral Bond because you have what is essentially a direct-damage attack with no real cooldown (with 3+ trap gems). The only reason I'm only using two Bear Trap gems is that I don't want this character to be all about traps. I would prefer to not use traps at all, but it's the only way I've found to deal with ranged enemies.

Based on this experience and others, I think Bear Trap is pretty overpowered at this point. It shouldn't do huge damage AND be thrown from range AND allow you to work around the cooldown with multiple gems. In my opinion, which I'm sure I've probably posted before, traps should be traps rather than grenades. Bear Trap and Fire Trap should be set at the player's feet like mines, which would allow you to remove the cooldown so we don't have to use multiple gems and would make the skills fit better with Ancestral Bond.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
well they could give it a boost to its range and slightly boost AoE (not to match but with detection slightly larger). right now (still), it barely hits or sees a sandspitter based bomb after the +15% detection but it'll nearly always hit sandspitters via the AoE (if the totem fires).

players having multiple level or just multiple traps period of same type is a bug indeed and brings a totem build down in this scenario. however trap focused people pride the multiple trap stacking and feel its required.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
well they could give it a boost to its range and slightly boost AoE (not to match but with detection slightly larger). right now (still), it barely hits or sees a sandspitter based bomb after the +15% detection but it'll nearly always hit sandspitters via the AoE (if the totem fires).

players having multiple level or just multiple traps period of same type is a bug indeed and brings a totem build down in this scenario. however trap focused people pride the multiple trap stacking and feel its required.

My understanding is that using multiple trap gems to bypass cooldowns (while still having at most 3 traps on the ground) is not a bug. I wouldn't have a problem with that behavior if it didn't make Bear Trap in particular so powerful; it's not really a problem with the other traps.

Another option is to keep the grenade-to-face targeting but rework Bear Trap so that it actually functions in some small way as a crowd control skill, maybe by lowering the damage to the physical equivalent of Fire Trap's and not (entirely) tying the root duration to the percentage of damage dealt.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info