Ethereal Knives

*edit due to learning more after I posted*
I've been running around with a Redbeak and it turns out that it's Increased Physical Damage% does *not* work with Ethereal Knives. Probably due to being a local modifier since it's tied to the weapon. At least the lowlife modifier works, though.

Makes me wonder if Daresso's Courage won't work either...
Last edited by TheGamaniac on Oct 10, 2012, 10:52:14 PM
Generic increases to physical damage do work with Ethereal Knives.
What specific bonus are you referring too which doesn't?
The "% Increased Physical Damage" modifiers. Neither the +50% from Redbeak or the +5% from a Rustic Sash have any effect on the skill's DPS number, at least... and i'm not noticing any actual-health-taken increase either. Slowly leveling further to find out if it's a combination of Redbeak only working for it's own physical attacks and the sash not giving enough to make a difference with my current low-level numbers.

E: ...Whiiich seems to have been the case. After leveling the gem up a bit further, my sash improves the Max damage of knives by 1. Redbeak still doesn't change it at all, but I'm guessing it's a Local modifier instead of a global one. Both it and the sash have the exact same wording about the modifier though, so that muddied the waters quite a bit due to this game's (rather refreshing) penchant for Exact Wording. I've edited the other post as well.
Last edited by TheGamaniac on Oct 10, 2012, 10:56:26 PM
Ah, I see. glad we've gotten to the bottom of this one.

Yes, that mod on redbeak is local. Straight "% Increased Physical Damage" on weapons is always local - if one were not it would be tagged as global.

The same is true of crit chance/multiplier, attack speed, and added damage on weapons, and of evasion/armour/ES mods on armour.

The clearest example of this is that increased critical strike chance mods on weapons are lcoal, but the implicit property of daggers isn't - and because it's on a wepon where such mods are local by default, it explicitly says "global".
You can also identify local mods as such because you'll see the item's relevant properties are blue, indicating they're increased by the mods on that item.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 10, 2012, 11:11:54 PM
Duely noted. I wonder if there'll ever be an NPC added to towns that can clarify some of these more specific mechanics bits... clarifying that a difference between global and weapon/armor base/local modifiers actually exists, or Reduced Mana Cost and Reduced Mana, More/Less and Increased/Decreased wording, etc etc. But that's probably running a bit too far into off-topic territory. Here's hoping my build theories for the Martyr of Blades shadow actually work out.
now i'm no expert but with redbeak (when i use it) it also affects spells with it's increase in damage...

Unavailable
So many build ideas... no time....
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Chromethous wrote:
[EK] Triggers Leech from Warlord's Mark(I tested it and I think it worked, skill description says "physical damage")

It doesn't work; Warlord's Mark specifies that it occurs When Attacked. The only way a Spell can leech life/mana, is with the Support gem.

Hmm, yeah missed the last two words at the end there. Just saw "physical dmg" and tossed it in. In that case if you wanted life regen getting the on kill +life passives would work. Not sure how that mod works on an item with spells, may have to investigate.

Gonna look into how burning works exactly and maybe try an elemental proliferation build with EK using that unique that turns a portion of physical dmg into fire and added fire dmg with the shadow 5% chance to ignite and some crit. at the least it could be fun.
This spell does pretty good damage, a good alternative for melee characters
Would love beta access
after playing around on a blood magic duelist with EK, i definatly like the version with the buffed damage being off of the quality bonus. The cost is still hindering but ive managed to deal with it through blood magic + regen.

i still find that the cost, the small range and the cast speed are just to much taking away from this skill, its next to impossible to compensate for all of them. I do however believe EK fills a niche in the game as a slow casting hard hitting attack, rather than all the ones right now where you get as much elemental damage as you can and machine gun mobs down.
Last edited by Canoobians on Oct 17, 2012, 5:55:04 AM
It's also the sole physical spell, which has a niche of it's own against reflec mobs.
Still, a slightly lower cost might be interesting.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info