Ethereal Knives

Hi,

as i worte before i like the skill in totem :) But i don´t like the animation. Suggestion for a new graphical appearance.

The Skill has 2 forms. First one could be a little glimmering bubble wich shoot from the caster in front of him than explodes with little aoe dam.

2nd after exploding shells fly around up to 360 degree.

Distance and time to explode is affected by lvl of gem and faster projectiles. explode radius invrease with support gem and so on. Many things to play with..

Would be a fun spell i think :)

Cucu..

Bee´s Funf Fun Builder .. Eifel
"
Tranx wrote:
Hi,

as i worte before i like the skill in totem :) But i don´t like the animation. Suggestion for a new graphical appearance.

The Skill has 2 forms. First one could be a little glimmering bubble wich shoot from the caster in front of him than explodes with little aoe dam.

2nd after exploding shells fly around up to 360 degree.

Distance and time to explode is affected by lvl of gem and faster projectiles. explode radius invrease with support gem and so on. Many things to play with..

Would be a fun spell i think :)

So you would want fan of knives to be bubble of shells instead?
Will this skill leech life? Claw affixes say physical attack damage so it should work imo
It says physical attack damage, indeed. Spells are not attacks. :)
The leech gems work on any damage, including Elemental and Spell damage.
I think etheral knives is more useful as a finisher skill, maybe useful as a combo for aoe/dot traps. Tried it with fire trap and it works moderately well.
Still, it would be nicer if there is a buff in casting speed or a buff in damage or maybe even life leech.
Benefits:
-Large spread of attack

Drawbacks:
-Animation delay
-1 projectile/target
-short range
-does not work with point blank support
-extremely high mana cost

This skill is not viable, and with hotbar space even more limited then before (aura bugfix), there is NO place for it

Bored in an airport? Yell, 'bomb!'
Last edited by MaxMana on Sep 30, 2012, 12:14:54 AM
"
Benefits:
-Large spread of attack

Drawbacks:
-Animation delay
-1 projectile/target
-short range
-does not work with point blank support
-extremely high mana cost

This skill is not viable, and with hotbar space even more limited then before (aura bugfix), there is NO place for it

benefits:
-Large spread of attack
-Physical Attack that always hits (use of hatred/added fire)
-aoe increase makes it a nice ranged aoe spell
-dps scales very good
-instant attack (the animation delay comes after the projectiles are shot)

-Drawbacks
-long casting
-mana cost (200%+ mana regen)
-physical reflect

The skill is viable.

they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
I find the back swing after the bast to long. anyone else?
Big red hairy chookalooka.
I've been doing some Maths for Ethereal Knives.

1) The Percentage increase in damage as the skill levels up is far greater than any other spell that I could find on the Wiki (at level 15 EK does 35x more average damage than it did at lvl 1, whereas Freezing Pulse is 24x)

2) Adding Added Fire and using Hatred (a support not needing a socket mind you) gives a 37% increase to damage. Faster Projectiles can add an additional 10% damage. Added Cold Damage increases damage by 58% at level 1 but falls off pretty fast

3) EK scales with a) Spell Dmg%, b) Physical Dmg% c) Projectile Dmg%. All 3 types of general global damage buffs.

4) Can Pierce, Triggers Leech from Warlord's Mark(I tested it and I think it worked, skill description says "physical damage"), Get's bonus from Proj Weakness, Righteous Fire, Culling Strike and Vulnerability.

5) Several easy to get unique items boost the damage nicely. Ezomyte, Redbeak, and Circle of Thorns to mention a few. (just put blood magic on hatred for low life, it's not that crazy)

A few other Observations-
I think it's possible with that EK could be the most versatile spell AoE.

If you're a melee character all that global physical dmg% you have increases it, support it with Iron Will, Added fire and cold and you have a nice clean up spell.

As a Spell Witch you could easily have it on a weapon switch to deal with ele resist mobs.

As a Bow user you could have it as CC with cold damage.

Elemental Proliferation and The % chance on elemental Damage passives by the shadow start could make for an interesting build.

Traps and EK are very similar, counter-intuitive skills that both can benefit from the same build why not put them together, each on their own seem eh at low levels, why not toss out a few fire traps and then EK the area? Then Why not make some EK traps once you get the support? and then Why not an EK totem as you trap the entire map?
As a few people have already mentioned EK makes you play more tactical to get the best "shot" and so does using traps, why not put the two together for a sapper style character that relies on moving and tactics to win skirmishes?

---
I've been wondering about a few supports.
1) lesser multi-projectiles- Can the Extra Projectiles hit the same target?
Ok my other questions I answered by re-reading the supports in question.

I have a few suggestions for support gems that I came up with EK in mind, I'll post them in the suggestion thread as well.
Spoiler
one copies a spell/skill, one casts a moving orb that casts the spell at a set interval and the last links an attack/spell to another spell/attack
Last edited by Chromethous on Oct 6, 2012, 5:24:23 AM
"
Chromethous wrote:
[EK] Triggers Leech from Warlord's Mark(I tested it and I think it worked, skill description says "physical damage")

It doesn't work; Warlord's Mark specifies that it occurs When Attacked. The only way a Spell can leech life/mana, is with the Support gem.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 6, 2012, 1:31:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info