Shockwave Totem

"
Vipermagi wrote:
1. That Passive will help, yes. Totem Range refers to the Totem's "sight" radius, so it will sooner spot monsters and start pumping Shockwaves.

2. Works fine, and is very worthwhile.

3. Yep.

Thanks, I was a bit unsure about taking the phys damage reward but I will because it is so hard to get on items. Hopefully once I have that and Inner Force the chill with Hatred will be a little better.

Regarding the range, I read that the range of flame totem (and I think spell/ranged attack totems) is 120. This is the range that only shows when hovering the skillbar with the gem equipped.

For some reason the softcore character I test with 99% +AOE has flame totem showing a range of 1200... maybe it is a bug.

Anyhow, I am just not sure 100% that adding 15% range to 100 for 115 will be good enough to hit archers and sand spitters. I did test letting the monsters come up to the range they want to hit me at and then cast the flame totem on the other side of myself to estimate being about another "5" away and I think it will work.

I will add the nodes in a couple levels and report back. edit: Ranged monsters can still attack the totem and it won't fight back. I don't know if that is just how it is intended or the totem won't cast because my AOE isn't high enough (only +20% so far).

I wish that I didn't have to add passive nodes to make this skill's range acceptable. It is kind of lame that every ranged monster can just laugh at the totem not casting.

One more question I have: I know that spell damage doesn't booth ST's damage, but does "area damage" from nodes or Carcass Jack? I assume it does but will have to check once I get Blast Radius.
Last edited by Chypre on Jul 3, 2013, 1:17:29 AM
"
Chypre wrote:
-lots of text, sorry for clipping-
i did the same thing long time ago. totem range is NOT the same as its AoE size. range is "will it attack" and AoE size is "will it's effect reach". answer to the first is an obvious no, but the answer to the second is actually a definite yes... but takes something else to "alert" (get in range) the totem into attacking, and then hitting outside its range (the spitters).
"
1)Added Fire gem
2)Hatred Aura
3)Flat Physical increasing uniques
4)Redbeak Swords
5)Vulnerability Curse

What made considering physical damage increase using stats only from uniques items and sashs?!
I've considered going dual mace to have a chance and having 2xtyrannical mod (+150-169% physical damage increase) but noticed yesterday equipping a hammer with +40% phys increased didn't changed anything to my spell damage, tough when I remove my 24% damage sash, it does change the damage output... this is really bad...
"
Slimydoom wrote:
"
1)Added Fire gem
2)Hatred Aura
3)Flat Physical increasing uniques
4)Redbeak Swords
5)Vulnerability Curse

What made considering physical damage increase using stats only from uniques items and sashs?!
I've considered going dual mace to have a chance and having 2xtyrannical mod (+150-169% physical damage increase) but noticed yesterday equipping a hammer with +40% phys increased didn't changed anything to my spell damage, tough when I remove my 24% damage sash, it does change the damage output... this is really bad...
the physical damage boost needs to say global in the same line in order for holding the weapon to work on other things. because the sash is an accessory, it is already global modifier.

edit: 150% damage boost on a mace is pretty nice though... hope it also gotten a flat physical damage boost in addition to that.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Jul 11, 2013, 11:20:54 AM
since I am getting pretty experienced with shockwave totem, let me sum up a few things:

Shockwave totem is ONLY affected by:

- Increased area of effect nodes from the skilltree
- Increased area of effects support gems
- the Amplify and Blast radius nodes from the skilltree (both radius and damage)
- Faster Casting support Gem
- Added fire Damage support Gem (**)
- Added Lightning Damage support gem
- Added Chaos damage support gem
- Added Cold damage support gem
- Concentrated Effect support gem
- Hatred Aura (***)
- % added Physical damage from rustic sash or non-weapon(*) unique items (like the Magnate Belt, Blackheart ring or Ezomyte Peak helmet)
- The 18% increased Physical damage from Bandit quest in cruel (Oak)
- Vulnerability Curse (25-34 More Physical damage taken)
- Quality Vulnerability Curse (0.5 % more Physical damage taken)
- Totem Range node from the skilltree (15% increased "see" range) (base range is 100)
- Ancestral Bond node, which allows you to have an additional Shockwave Totem out
- Soul Mantle unique robe which allows you to have an additional Shockwave Totem out
- Increased Knockback from Items, Support Gems or nodes from the skilltree
- Increased Duration support gem (increases the time the Totem stays "up")
- Minion and totem elemental resistances support gem.

(*) Redbeak's 100% increased physical damage does work when on low life, as it is a global modifier and not a local (weapon) one.
(**) If you use Added Fire support gem, any item, support gem or skilltree node that boosts fire damage will boost the fire damage part of the shockwave
(***) If you use the Hatred aura, any item, support gem or skilltree node that boosts Cold damage will boost the Cold damage part of the shockwave

Shockwave Totem is NOT affected by:

- Any Increased Spelldamage from Items or the skilltree. there currently is a bug which will display an increase in damage, but as the totem's skill is not a spell, the boost is incorrect. Increased spelldamage simply does not add to your damage.
- Any numerical added Physical damage from items (Iron ring 1-4 or Abyssus 40-60 physical damage for example)
- Anger Aura
- Haste Aura
- Iron Will skilltree node or Support Gem.

Still to test:

- Chance to Crit and Multiplier.

Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
Last edited by xchokeholdx on Jul 16, 2013, 2:14:59 AM
Thank you very much for this in depth post above.

this totem is sooooo bad right now!
u cant scale his dmg at all....
comparing to all other totem builds it is a complete crap.
"
Vladelk wrote:
You are totally wrong.

It's not because you don't know how to use it, it's crap.

I have made a build based on Shockwave totem, it's powerful as dual spark, maybe better.

My DPS is 5200 and it can be 6600.

-> http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/462748
Last edited by KikitheKing on Aug 23, 2013, 6:51:17 PM
"
KikitheKing wrote:
"
Vladelk wrote:
You are totally wrong.
It's because you don't know how to use it, it's crap.

I have made a build based on Shockwave totem, it's powerful as dual spark, maybe better.
My DPS is 5200 and it can be 6600.
-> http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/462748

There actually are quite a lot of ways to boost damage, physical damage on uniques and cruel bandit reward, converting to elemental, added elemental on hatred and fire support...

Not as strong as some builds out there but much safer, two shockwave totems can make fights against melees trivial.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Do you know I've come to wonder whether this skill would be more likeable without the knockback.Most of the time you want enemies bunched together and this skill just spreads them out.Thoughts?

Maybe in place of knockback it has a lower stun threshold.
Last edited by Kavlor on Sep 7, 2013, 5:43:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info