Decoy Totem

if we're gna start categorizing skills only in shit or op we wont have any good skills left... i think its perfectly balace since it gives you a more tactic aproach.. its not like it kills everything in one click like discharge... ofc if you make your build so you can spawn more than one its not the skill going op, its your build.
GGG, no offense, but is that hard just to write it (poe wiki) HOW MUCH the totem have life on each level, or WHAT is the base life from which is % bonus calculated.

Just spent 11 WORTHLESS pages of reading and THE LIFE OF TOTEM NOWHERE...

I love you guys... but sometimes these major missings...

I want calculate and plan my CWDT gem (btw good job with nerf,now its balanced) , if its worthy put lvl 1 or lvl 16 decoy etc and this only confusing and pissing people...

Only 1 thing what I understand, you want make game more interesting, to let people diging infos, but everybody dont have such scientific ideas like go to some test zone, for example Merciless Ledge :
First taunt only on your Energy shield 5 monsters and count how much dmg they do in 20 seconds.

Then the same apply from big range to decoy totem and count how much hp totem have. But anyway there is armor factor which makes these calcs very difficult...
Works perfectly fine
all the way to late 60 maps.
Just give a totem hp passive and or +1 to gem slot.
SSF since ~OB
Last edited by stonespeak on Mar 7, 2014, 9:14:07 PM
I've never seen the use for this skill, because other totems seem to pull a crowd just fine, with added perks to boot.
It would be great if we could get an official comment on the agro issue with this skill. It clearly is not working as intended and possibly never has, based on what Mark has posted in this thread about how its supposed to work. I think the general function and health/cost of the totem are good, but the agro part is clearly broken. I have constant issues with mobs deciding not to attack the totem when they are in range. I notice it the most with Exiles and bosses. Sometimes they constantly switch targets, other times they almost completely ignore the totem.

Good idea, good health, good cost, agro ability is consistently wonky.
"
Magnicon wrote:
It would be great if we could get an official comment on the agro issue with this skill. It clearly is not working as intended and possibly never has, based on what Mark has posted in this thread about how its supposed to work. I think the general function and health/cost of the totem are good, but the agro part is clearly broken. I have constant issues with mobs deciding not to attack the totem when they are in range. I notice it the most with Exiles and bosses. Sometimes they constantly switch targets, other times they almost completely ignore the totem.

Good idea, good health, good cost, agro ability is consistently wonky.

+1000!
+999999 THIS T H I S!!!!1

I create about this issue thread and GGG say its work fine and everything is OKAY, while its not and never was!
Decoy just NOT AGGRO most bosses and some monsters + 90% Exiles.

Also its pretty weak and useless when there brotem (skeletotem) and other totems that worth BETTER!

Base life of Decoy Totem must be MUCH more + per lvl more life + quality bonus life must be way higher and more.

AND FIX AGGRO PROBLEM!
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
People keep talking about leveling it up first.

Shouldn't 'leveling it up' be a requirement before talking in ANY feedback thread? Ya think? Hmm?

Early one, one guy says, "But it doesn't TANK" - then there'e like ten pages of people complaining that it doesn't tank. One comment tainted the majority of the thread.

Original poster, could you maybe update the thread to counter that effect?

I am leveling up my decoy totem now so I can experience it. A few posts here say it can be useful if used right. Reading everything else was painful, like reading a technical manual that was authored by a retard.

People, think about everybody else that is going to have to read through your muck in order to know how a skill ought to be utilized. Then, if it's not intelligent, don't post.
20% Quality Gem Shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1073061
Uniques: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1073096
Main Shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1023587
Comprehensive POE Trade Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1074558
Just want to reiterate point some have already mentioned, that seems like a major drawback/flaw with Decoy Totem: the skill fails at an alarming rate (maybe 50-75% successful) when trying to catch aggro on unique bosses/exiles.

This basically kills any actual usefulness the skill should have, because those unique mobs tend to be the ones where catching aggro is most important due to their higher damage output and other dangerous aspects. It almost seems like it is coded into the skill that it should tend to fail, given how predictable it failed to work for me in those specific situations. I must add, that kind of failure to catch aggro can be very bad, especially while leveling in an HC league. As another mentioned, seems better to just use an attack totem rather than Decoy because of this glaring flaw.
For POE Devs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs
Died like this in HC before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVsgFUiD-Y8

u_u
Last edited by Peripherally on Mar 22, 2015, 3:31:51 AM
The aggro doesn't have any sort of a duration. If you take actions that might change the enemy's AI behaviour (ex. deal Damage or impede its movement), then you're likely to just immediately overwrite the Decoy Totem's effect.

If you want a Decoy Totem to be effective, it needs to be relatively equidistant or closer by than you are, and you should not interfere in any way.

It's not a good decoy. Honestly I find Rejuv to be more effective at drawing aggro - enemies don't like the regen aura...
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 23, 2015, 8:25:18 AM
As said above, the major flaw is that it can become useless in a split second.

Any entity will grab aggro if you pop it close to a pack.
The Decoy can take the most punishment out of all totems, but as soon as it loses aggro it's as good as dead.

Other skills can be used as a better decoy:
Spell Totem, Ranged Attck Totem, Conversion Trap+Multitrap, Searing Bond and probably more.

Those other methods can also deliver negative conditions or outright kill everything in range.

An idea:

Making it keep aggro forever wouldn't be fair as it is, but if the Decoy forged a link to the summoner (like Searing Bond) granting significant damage reduction in exchange for sharing part of its life with its master (by reflection, leech or a forced Blood Magic with a life percentage cost upfront) then it would be ok.

The character wouldn't be invincible, just receiving a big buff to eat some stray projectiles and AoEs. The totem itself takes the full brunt of targeted damage (and maybe even absorb curses?) with 100% reliability but still presents a cost to be kept alive.

Breaking the link (distance or line of sight) would interrupt the effect so positioning would remain a factor.
Last edited by Darkwings83 on May 4, 2015, 9:27:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info