I'm gonna try a RF + Incinerate Templar

I was going to make a templar with RF and Incinerate.

This is the skill tree i was thinking of. Maybe there are too many str and int nodes, my build is very streched out.

I've heard "reduced mana cost"-nodes and items with that modifier is very good with incinerate since it has such a high mana cost. Also when I feel the need to there is always the "reduced mana reservation"-nodes nearby the "reduced mana cost"-nodes.

Unwavering Stance is pretty good as well since I'm not mobile. Question is will I need avoid cast interruption (by Zealots Oath) when I can't get stunned?

All my hp is going to be reserved with auras, high ES to cover that and to avoid chaos damage tearing my health pool apart I'm gonna use a unique chest. This means I will have low hp most of the time and use Pain Attunement, what I'm curious about is if I should go for crit chance and crit damage passives as well or does Incinerate work well with that? If I go that route maybe I should also pick up "static blows" to give the enemies extra damage.

Items:
I was going to wear Shavronnes Wrappings (http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Shavronne%27s_Wrappings
and Safells Frame
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Saffell%27s_Frame
For weapon I was thinking of http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/The_Searing_Touch, but then I can't use a shield, are there better choices out there for a weapon? Or should I just skip the shield?

and then items that gives good bonuses to ES, armor and all resistances.

Gem sockets:
Spoiler

Helmet (4L):
Determination + Vitality + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana

Body Armour (5L + 1):
Flame Totem + LMP (GMP) + Fire Penetration + Faster Projectiles (+ Added Lightning Damage), Endurance Cry

Gloves:
Purity + Clarity + Blood Magic + Reduced Mana

Boots (2L + 2L):
Righteous Fire + Increased Area of Effect, Molten Shell (+ ?)

Weapon (5L - 6L):
Incinerate + LMP (GMP) + Mana Leech + Fire Penetration + Life Leech + Reduced Mana (+ Knockback

I'm not at all sure about the gems, maybe I need some kind of mobility skill? Also is it worth it to add Iron Will to RF or Molten Shell.

Is this viable for play? I was gonna start up a new character and I wanted to try a templar so I figured this would be fun!

EDIT: I edited my posts and bolded all my questions. That way the people who quickly want to skip my elaborations can do that and those who like to read into it can do that as well.
Timezone = GMT + 1
Last edited by R_Set on Apr 5, 2013, 5:35:01 PM
well, for starters I'd try and make an ~85 point build to work towards in the meantime

because with that skill tree, getting to 114 points is going to be incredibly hard, if not impossible

as for the shield vs staff, you'll definitely be needing the stats from the shield in order to survive the pseudo-melee range that incinerate is.

also, do you already have those 2 uniques? if not then do you at least have a multitude of exalts to buy them with? They are very in-demand and very high dollar items.

This is my build im working to at the moment (lvl 62 currently)

If i ever get shavronne's i'll modify it to work better with low life which is a long LOONNG time away, but for now its good.

Basically I can face tank almost all mobs no problem because I have 45% chance to block and 82% all resists with purity up. I found that I could not sustain my incinerate with my mana and still be able to use Auras so I switched to use a blood magic gem and a 5% life leech, and i STILL have problems sometimes maintaining my HP pool. I use my ES as a "buffer zone" to soak up damage while I melt all the mobs.

Right now almost all my mana is used with 3 auras, purity, determination, and haste and my incinerate is 5L with lesser multi + added lightning damage + life leech + blood magic

Almost all my items are Armor/ES (or at least I want them to be) and have +HP on them if possible. my HP pool is 1.7k and my ES is 1.5k.

loving it so far but the high cost of incinerate is so painful... its at around 45 hp per cast with 10 casts per second! So basically I have to leech/regen 450 HP or more per second in order to live...

Edit: also I use a totem with incinerate + LMP + blind + spell totem 4L. It gives the mobs 75% chance to miss me and does enough damage to help me out in tough situations
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
Last edited by demivion on Mar 30, 2013, 3:27:01 PM
Thanks Demivion for your answer! I know 114 points will be hard, it's just an end game goal if I ever get there.

I dont have enough money for Shavronnes yet but Im half-way there, so hopefully at some point I could get it.

What weapon do you suggest if I need a shield?

I also got a PM saying i could use a whole lot of more hp-nodes to use RF as a damage-dealing ability instead of the extra spell damage I want it to be.
My plan is (with Shavronnes) getting a free resource to reserve from for auras, in that case I barely need any HP at all.
Viable? Shavronnes or mass health?

I figure I should respec for Shavronnes when I finally get it.
So for now I could pick some HP I suppose!
Timezone = GMT + 1
Last edited by R_Set on Apr 5, 2013, 5:32:22 PM
My experience with RF build so far :

ES and life regen is key in surviving. Avoid life nodes as much as you can.

From first look you got not enough ES at all.
Youre spending tons of points to get to the life regen from duelist, which could be far better used to get more ES. Even worse youre putting points solely into armour.
If youre energy shield fails youre death anyway, no matter the armour.

Delete the route down and put those points into ES. Theres 4 nodes with 30% ES from shield, all on your route. (Would take 6 points for 120% ES from shield). Get a shield with high ES and you will do much better.

Life regen is only worth it if you can get there with as little extra life as possible.

Inner force will also cause you to burn more, something to take in mind, dont take it early in your build.

(My current RF templar has 710 hp and 3100k ES @lvl70, look for ES gear without life but with life regen.)
best weapon with a shield is a wand or 1h spell damage mace, no daggers because incinerate cannot crit
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
"
pvtchaos wrote:
My experience with RF build so far :

ES and life regen is key in surviving. Avoid life nodes as much as you can.

From first look you got not enough ES at all.
Youre spending tons of points to get to the life regen from duelist, which could be far better used to get more ES. Even worse youre putting points solely into armour.
If youre energy shield fails youre death anyway, no matter the armour.

Delete the route down and put those points into ES. Theres 4 nodes with 30% ES from shield, all on your route. (Would take 6 points for 120% ES from shield). Get a shield with high ES and you will do much better.

Life regen is only worth it if you can get there with as little extra life as possible.

Inner force will also cause you to burn more, something to take in mind, dont take it early in your build.

(My current RF templar has 710 hp and 3100k ES @lvl70, look for ES gear without life but with life regen.)

Isnt it so that if I have a low health pool RF takes damage from it and applies it to ES first, then if I have a high ES with Zealot's the %reg is based on my ES instead.

So to break even:

Spoiler

86% fire res
x% life (ES) reg / s
3000 ES
400 HP

400*0,14 = 56 HP drained / s
3000*x=56
x= 1,86% life reg

Im not sure if the mechanics works like that but if it does, to break even on a 400 HP-pool and 3k ES pool you only need about 2% life reg. Som 1,5% life reg nodes are pretty powerful. Just my thought.

What about armor, doesn't it reduce the melee damage taken on the ES as well? If it doesn't then I got it all wrong and the armour/ES nodes seems a bit underpowered.

"
demivion wrote:
best weapon with a shield is a wand or 1h spell damage mace, no daggers because incinerate cannot crit

Alright, so rares are the way to go.
Timezone = GMT + 1
Last edited by R_Set on Apr 5, 2013, 5:31:13 PM
"
R_Set wrote:

Isnt it so that if I have a low health pool RF takes damage from it and applies it to ES first, then if I have a high ES with Zealot's the %reg is based on my ES instead.

So to break even:

Spoiler

86% fire res
x% life (ES) reg / s
3000 ES
400 HP

400*0,14 = 56 HP drained / s
3000*x=56
x= 1,86% life reg

Im not sure if the mechanics works like that but if it does, to break even on a 400 HP-pool and 3k ES pool you only need about 2% life reg. Som 1,5% life reg nodes are pretty powerful. Just my thought.

About armor doesnt it reduce the melee damage taken on the ES as well? If it doesnt then I got it all wrong and the armour/ES nodes seems a bit underpowered.

Alright, so rares are the way to go.

Yep, the mechanics work like that. Nevermind, overread the fact that youre using pain attunement to dump down your health, that will probably work though i still think your ES will be on the low side.

Armour will be only usefull if youre running RF without Savronne's (like I do, too poor to afford it) to migitate some of the damage when you got hit by chaos and have to run like hell. The ES/armor nodes are not really underpowered as you get a good boost in ES and extra resistance. Probably the only thing better than those nodes are the ES/EV nodes from Shadow (nullification) and your current build is close by.
If you stay with the lower route for the life regen, pick up those two 0.4% nodes next to Golems Blood.
Mana wise youre probably ok with the reduced mana cost, might need to experiment abit.

For auras I currently need : discipline, purity and vitality. Determination would be no use to you with that chest piece.
And mobility is indeed key, try to get some boots with movement as you cant block attacks no more if you get Saffels Frame as shield.

Its a fun build to play and to experiment with, gets exponential more powerfull the better your gear becomes.
You dont want to use that staff! The burning damage increase applies to you as well, so you will burn for 170% of your life / sec instead of 100% / sec, and find it extremely hard to out regen / mitigate
Great tips, thanks to everyone.

Is it so that cast speed with incinerate makes me get to the maximum damage of the spell faster?

Im also standing between using
Saffells Frame (I assume incinerate benefits from spell damage boosts, also great with extra max res),
Rise of the Phoenix (probably mandatory for RF-people, also seems good for the "low life"-related mods since I'm always gonna have low life),
Prism Guardian (to put my aura gems that applies to life in, gives great resistance and gives dex which I need for equipment) or even
Springleaf shield (for the massive exta reg when I'm on low life)

Any recommendations to help me decide which shield I should use?

EDIT:

Does the area of effect node near templar start affect the range on incinerate. If so would it be wise to take it?
Timezone = GMT + 1
Last edited by R_Set on Apr 5, 2013, 5:29:33 PM
Saffels a great shield, added spelldamage of saffels is nice, but remember you cant block normal attacks no more, so armour or evasion is needed to counter that.
(Yes, armour reduces the damage the ES takes, so all your AR/ES nodes come to good use)

You can probably also get Saffel much cheaper then phoenix, so start with Saffel and switch to phoenix later if you got the orbs/feel the need.

Prism guardian is nice shield, but wont work. You need to up your max fire resist and with this shield you will only get +1% extra at max level gem. Not worth it.
Not sure if the 6% from springleaf is from max life or available life. If its the latest, its not worth it. Also consider that its got very low stats so it wont help you out very much.

Like said before remember that all that gear comes at a hefty price.

Incinerate has this as attributes : Fire, Projectile, Spell
So it wont get help from area affect.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info