Why do Warstaves still have STR + INT affinities since they CANNOT ROLL caster mods since 3.8?

Leveling Warstaves chars with a noob friend and this is so weird.

Staves should keep their Int affinities, but Warstaves should be just str or str + dex based!
"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2020, 2:15:12 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Intelligence isn't just about "caster" stuff though. It's also associated with, for example, critical strikes, which staves have a high chance for.

If you want two-handed weapons with Str or Str+Dex requirements, Maces, Swords and Axes already exist.
I'm guessing the same reason Caster Staves have a strength requirement. It's a large part of the identity of the equipment especially since it's the default weapon for the Str/Int character.
"
Intelligence isn't just about "caster" stuff though. It's also associated with, for example, critical strikes, which staves have a high chance for.

If you want two-handed weapons with Str or Str+Dex requirements, Maces, Swords and Axes already exist.

Yes it is.

Only 3 Blue attack gems in the game, all usable Only with wands.

Warstaves can be used primarily with red gems and second with dex gems.

This is a relic from the time where we didn't have Warstaves.
"Wealth in a game is measured by the amount of fun, joy and entertainment you can get out of it".
-Mythabril
Last edited by EKTELESTES on Nov 20, 2020, 8:44:24 PM
"
VolcanoElixir wrote:
I'm guessing the same reason Caster Staves have a strength requirement. It's a large part of the identity of the equipment especially since it's the default weapon for the Str/Int character.

That's what I'm saying. When they made the change to Warstaves, they plain forgot to make the socket color adjustments!

-Mythabril
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
"

Yes it is.
No, it isn't. I mean the attribute itself gives mana and ES, neither of which are caster-specific stats. When GGG designed the three attributes, criticals were one of the things they considered 'aligned' with intelligence; that's why the Str/Int and Dex/Int weapons tend toward high crit chance, why power charges give crit chance, and why there has typically been lots of crit chance in the upper half of the tree.

"
EKTELESTES wrote:
Only 3 Blue attack gems in the game, all usable Only with wands.
I'm sure you're aware there are Str/Int attack gems (and support gems) though.

"
EKTELESTES wrote:
This is a relic from the time where we didn't have Warstaves.
Most of the game is a relic from that time, that doesn't in itself justify change. Diversity in the requirements and strengths of weapons is a good thing; there's nothing to be gained by making these weapons more similar to others ones. If you want a mace, use a mace. If you want to use a staff, get a bit of Intelligence.
They have it so you cant actually use them
Need more brains, exile?
The attributes in this game are pretty braindead to be honest

Most of the time they are useless or just restriction for no reason
Need more brains, exile?
Yep! It's just another one on the endless list of things not updated for such a long time, or just -somewhat updated -.

PoE unfortunately is so full of half-measures and half-fixes, it's a mess in so many areas...

-Mythabril
"
EKTELESTES wrote:
Yep! It's just another one on the endless list of things not updated for such a long time, or just -somewhat updated -.

PoE unfortunately is so full of half-measures and half-fixes, it's a mess in so many areas...

+1

“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info