[3.12] 8 curses B.V. Occultist | Making Doedre great again (33mil DPS / 13.5k eHP pool)

Exiles! How's it going? It is good to be back!

After so much suffering and tears, I finally made it! My season-long project is finally done! But sadly, it is not a league starter anymore (or is it?). Thanks to the few people who helped me through the old guide, Doedre is finally great again!

Link to the first guide:

Emotional video for this build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ld9K_cwzRw

Pros and cons:
+ Fun
+ Cheap
+ Beginner friendly
+ Can do most content
+ Can league start
+ Up to 8 curses on enemies
+ Doesn't need 6-Links on chest to work
+ Tanky

- Tight on gems
- Hard to cap resistances
- Uses 2 buttons to walk
- Porcupines hurt a lot
- Blade Vortex playstyle is not for everyone
- Minmaxing is weird

I always loved the Doedre's theme: Curse everything, scream when angry and explode the whole screen. So today I'm here not-so-proudly presenting you my first original build.

INTRODUCTION
So, as I already said, I always loved the Doedre's theme, and today I made some courage to make it public and build a character around it. I've tried so many skills I've lost count: Frostbolt/Ice Nova, Crackling Lance, Blade Vortex, Blade Blast, Wave of Conviction, Ball Lighting and so on.

From all of them, Blade Vortex looked the best option not just because it is freaking strong, but because we need to get close to enemies making the positioning for the Doedre's Effigy so much easier. Also everything explode near you, and it may be LOUD.

MECHANICS

OFFENSE:
Spoiler
The build is simple: You cast Blade Vortex, walk and re-cast Blade Vortex every few seconds. We will talk about walking with this build later, as we use one button for each leg.

We, as an Occultist, have access to Malediction, which gives us 8% Non-Chaos as Chaos Damage PER CURSE on a killed enemy. It is up to 56% Non-Chaos damage as Chaos damage, plus up to 15% Elemental Damage as Chaos Damage from Atziri's Promise. Depending on your budget, you can get up to 80% of your damage as EXTRA Chaos Damage. As we use Archmage this buff gets big. Oh, and the enemies also go boom.

We also use Crown of the Inward Eye to get all the Transfigurations, using it at its full potential as we use both high Energy Shield and Mana increases from the tree.

For bossing, Arcanist Brand with all its skills give a insane boost to damage.

Over all that, we use 6 curses through Doedre's Effigy to grant Conductivity, Elemental Weakness and Despair, getting the enemy's resistances to zero or even below it. Assassin's Mark as the 7th curse makes this hurt even more.

Occultist's Withering Presence makes nearby enemies become withered over time. We're always near our enemies.

All these things gets us to up to 26 million Sirus DPS!

"But what about bosses?", you may ask. We need to kill things to proc Malediction. That's where The Writhing Jar comes in. It creates two enemy worms, which can be cursed and killed to grant us the buff we need.

DEFENSE:
Spoiler
We abuse our privileged position in the tree. We are near good nodes from the Templar area and from the Witch area. With trash League Start I managed to pull 3.6k Life, 5.9k Mana and 5.3k Energy Shield. We use Mind Over Matter altogether with a Doryani's Glorious Vanity for Corrupted Soul, making use of all our resources to get effectively a 11k healthpool. With Arcane Cloak up, it gets even higher.

We also are abusing Enfeeble and Temporal Chains to keep ourselves alive by reducing our enemy's action speed, accuracy and damage.

We almost don't reserve Mana (will reserve Mana when we get our #% maximum Mana as Energy Shield Watcher's Eye, which is about 1k extra ES, not counting the increased Life, Mana and ES from the jewel itself), making Arcane Cloak a perfect defense and offense layer if used correctly together with a good mana flask.

Breathstealer gives us no Energy Shield, but everytime we kill a rare enemy it spawns an Spore which can have every aura in the game, including immorality auras. It also can be anointed.

Frost Shield in a CwDT setup gives us decent protection against enemy projectiles, making those pesky Porcupines a little less dangerous.

As we take damage from both Life and Energy Shield because of Corrupted Soul, both will make a sick recovery from the Life Leech (amulet "of Puhuarte" mod or Anomalous Blade Vortex) and Energy Leech (Corruption and Heart of Thunder).

EQUIPMENT AND GEMS:
Spoiler
BODY ARMOUR:
Spoiler
We are playing a Doedre thematic character, so Doedre's Skin is obligatory. It grants us Level 20 Summon Doedre's Effigy skill. What it does? Well, its quite simple.
Doedre's Effigy casts all the curses socketed in the chestpiece with Blasphemy. As the Effigy is casting the curses, Blasphemy reserves the Effigy's mana instead of ours AND all its curses don't count towards our maximum curses applied. Yes the curses have a lower effectiveness, but its 6 additional curses for almost free. Oh, and Doedre's Skin doesn't need to be 6-linked to work.

For gems:
LV 20 Despair - LV 20 Temporal Chains - LV 20 Punishment - LV 20 Elemental Weakness - LV 20 Enfeeble - LV 20 Conductivity

HELMET:
Spoiler
Crown of the Inward Eye makes perfect sinergy with both Mind over Matter and Archmage as it gives #% increased Life, Mana and Energy Shield. The Transfigurations also make our main defenses an aid to our damage.

As for the gems:
LV 20 Arcanist Brand - LV 20 Wave of Conviction - LV 20 Assassin's Mark - LV 20 Sigil of Power

You can also use Doedre's Scorn, but... yeah. See PoB's notes for more information on this.

Inb4: Why this setup?
Answer: Because it allows us to use some area controls, inflict Exposure and curse bosses as if they aren't cursed enough already. This setup makes bossing a lot smoother.

GLOVES:
Spoiler
Breathstealer is here only because it is a cheap way to get the Create a Blighted Spore when your skills or Minions kill a Rare Monster mod. Poor people's Headhunter! The Mana and all Resistances is nice while you are getting better equipments to cap your resistances. Also the anoint is great.

The gems:
LV 20 Vaal Righteous Fire - LV 20 Increased Duration - LV 20 Arcane Surge - LV 20 Arcane Cloak

The goal for this slot is Asenath's Touch, but there are pros and cons. See the PoB's notes for more info.

WEAPON:
Spoiler
Here we have a few good options. Pledge of Hands is capable of making our damage skyrocket. Bulky Spell Damage, a astronomical mana increase (flat 100% mana, like wth?) and the Level 30 Greater Spell Echo support makes this staff the BiS for this build.

Gems:
LV 20 Archmage - LV 20 Unleash - LV 20 Intensify - LV 20 Concentrated Effect - LV 20 Controlled Destruction - LV 20 Blade Vortex

Note: You will need Anomalous Blade Vortex if you don't have other sources of Life leech.

JEWELLERY:
Spoiler
The only mandatory thing we need is an Essence Worm to run Zealotry. That's it. Why this one? We must keep our Mana free so we can be beaten to death with more style.

For the rest of your gear, focus on the following:
- Fixing attributes (shouldn't be hard)
- Capping resistances
- Get some Chaos resistance (it is easy as we already have some good base resistances)
- Maximum Life
- Maximum Mana
- Spell Damage
- Crit
See PoB's notes for better organised and updated information!

And for the boots gems, look into Flame Dash linked to Clarity, Cast When Damage Taken and Frost Shield for some survivability.

My current gear:
Spoiler

TL;DR gimme the pastebin
Spoiler
Last edited: 18/11/2020 (DD/MM/YYYY)
https://pastebin.com/ZaKbz0Qr
NOTE: You will need Path of Building Fork to open this Pastebin!

CONCLUSION:
After weeks doing and redoing this build, there it is. It is made to work on a fairly low budget (about 3 exalteds should do the trick), but will be happy receiving some good expensive stuff. I got so much better as a player in the past leagues that now I'm really excited to try playing with my fat flaccid lady Doedre again. This build has already killed almost everything, including Sirus AL8.

Feel free to make your customizations to this build and give me advice, but keep in mind that I'm new to building my own stuff.

Thanks for reading this guide, and as Navali says...
I'll see you again.

Q&A:
Spoiler
"
paulorik1 wrote:

But can u explain ur flask settup?
I dont understand why you use The Writhing Jar!

Because of Malediction. It states:

When you Kill an Enemy, for each Curse on that Enemy, gain 8% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage for 4 seconds
You can apply an additional Curse
15% increased Effect of your Curses

The first mod is what we are looking for. The Writhing Jar lets two enemy worms escape from it everytime we use this flask. When we kill them they will most of the times be cursed by Doedre's Effigy, giving us Malediction's "#% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage" while fighting "solo" bosses like the Conquerors, Shaper, Syndicate safehouses, Omnitect and so on. It is absolutely not needed while mapping and can easily be swapped by something like a critical Cinderswallow Urn while not doing endgame stuff.

"
handark12 wrote:

If the staff is 4,5 links, what should I do with the skill gem?

At 4 links it is a bit complicated. I would recommend Blade Vortex + Archmage + Unleash + Controlled Destruction as you will need some AoE to actually hit mobs without needing to kiss them.

At 5 links it gets a bit better: Blade Vortex + Archmage + Unleash + Controlled Destruction + Intensify to make your AoE good enough for clear, then swap Intensify for Concentrated Effect for bosses.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler
DD/MM/YYYY
01/11/2020 - Guide posted
02/11/2020 - Q&A created
04/11/2020 - Pastebin updated - Asenath's Gentle Touch added; tree optimised; notes updated
12/11/2020 - Pastebin updated - Better Watcher's Eye and DPS boosted to 29 million (lol)
18/11/2020 - Pastebin updated - Witch section of the tree revamped. DPS boosted to 33 million
Last edited by Tales_Black on Nov 18, 2020, 11:15:52 PM
Last bumped on Jan 13, 2021, 1:28:08 PM
Reserved
Good job man.I'll try it in next league.Make Doedre great again,time to build some effigy.
Nice one dude!
Too bad for me BV is a no go :/
"
Yloss wrote:
Nice one dude!
Too bad for me BV is a no go :/

With some adjustments you can make it run with Winter Orb. You may need to drop the Archmage mechanic (freeing some points in the process) and make some changes to the tree, but will still do very well. In this case, you'll need to change Pledge of Hands for Realm Ender and try to convert all the damage to fire, so Wave of Conviction can proc its Exposure. =)
Very fun build
I'm loving play with it

Last edited by paulorik1 on Nov 2, 2020, 11:06:05 PM
"
paulorik1 wrote:
Very fun build
I'm loving play with it

When you Kill an Enemy, for each Curse on that Enemy, gain 8% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage for 4 seconds

The first mod is what we are looking for. The Writhing Jar lets two enemy worms escape from it everytime we use this flask. When we kill them they will most of the times be cursed by Doedre's Effigy, giving us Malediction's "#% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage" while fighting "solo" bosses like the Conquerors, Shaper, Syndicate safehouses, Omnitect and so on. It is absolutely not needed while mapping and can easily be swapped by something like a critical Cinderswallow Urn while not doing endgame stuff.
"
Tales_Black wrote:
"
paulorik1 wrote:
Very fun build
I'm loving play with it

I got it, thanks!
I downloaded your PoB and changed my gloves according to your suggestion.
With this, sometimes, I don't need to use doedre's effigy against non-boss monsters

Cant get PoB to work.
"
argoniashawks wrote:
Cant get PoB to work.

Just tested it and it still working. Anyway, I've created a new one if you can't get it working.

Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/C7Gbbmn7

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info