[PS4] 3.11.1d Patch Notes

Blue Screens actually seem worse since 3.11.1D; played with a buddy for 3-4 hours last night and between us saw blue screens every 30-60 mins. I'm trying to get him into the game but it's a tough sell when the performance is so unstable.

Muting sound effects goes a long way to stabilising performance of larger encounters such as Legion, Blight, etc. (Please give us an option to limit the processing of concurrent SFX); with SFX it'll drop to 1-2 FPS, without it'll maintain 20-30 FPS. However this does not affect the frequency of blue screen issues and they're not limited to using any skill effects/flasks/etc - since 3.11.1D I've mostly been getting them by simply moving my character.

GGG: I want to invest further into PoE on PS4 as I love this game but it's not going to happen whilst the performance/stability is so bad, nor can I evangelise to my friends to try and get them more involved whilst it's in this state.
I understand the "playing without sound" makes the game run smoother thing. But, in all honestly, that is completely unacceptable. Name 1 game that you have to do that with.

As someone who loves POE (which we all do) and as someone who has supported GGG ...I cannot recommend this game to anyone on console. Nothing worse than running 15 high tier maps and then losing all that XP because your game crashes.

Is there at least an official GGG comment on this forum? Tell us something. A "we're aware and are working on it". Something. Anything. Please. The state of the game right now is, once again, unacceptable.
"
RubaDongas wrote:
I understand the "playing without sound" makes the game run smoother thing. But, in all honestly, that is completely unacceptable. Name 1 game that you have to do that with.

As someone who loves POE (which we all do) and as someone who has supported GGG ...I cannot recommend this game to anyone on console. Nothing worse than running 15 high tier maps and then losing all that XP because your game crashes.

Is there at least an official GGG comment on this forum? Tell us something. A "we're aware and are working on it". Something. Anything. Please. The state of the game right now is, once again, unacceptable.

I agree it's certainly not a great experience, but for me it's either no sound or massive lag - I prefer no sound.

As you say though, it's not acceptable. My guess is that it's simply that PoE is too demanding for the PS4 hardware, be it due to poor optimisation, a lack of dev resource to properly adjust code for the console platforms, or some other reason. I'm cautiously hopeful that the next gen of consoles will paper over some of these issues but that's not really an excuse for leaving the state of the game as-is.

Giving players some UI options to drop graphical fidelity or controls to throttle concurrent audio sources would seem to me to be the obvious way to go in the short term. 'Just make it work as intended' is the dream but may require re-coding from the ground up to properly optimise for consoles; something GGG are unlikely to be able to do with their probably limited dev resource. Giving us more tools to tune the performance to best fit our hardware/playstyles however seems an obvious first step to me.

TBH I don't even know if any of this feedback even gets read by GGG, other than the fixes listed in patch notes I've not seen much of anythng beyond cookie-cutter 'We're aware and working on it'-type responses from any GGG staff on these issues. Fixing the 'blue screen' crashes of course needs to be done but the lag is an ever-present issue that I wish would get some more attention/acknowledgement from GGG.
Opened PoE after a 1 week break due to vacation. See there's a patch, go to read patch notes while game opens.

I do a single map to go kill Baran. Crash while fighting him. Not even 10 minutes of play in a console that's been unused for a week....

Glad to see things have changed /s
Tried to run the labyrinth twice, first with sound and second with no sound, couldn't complete it due to the crashes. Using the ps4 pro of that makes any difference.
"
keramila wrote:
Tried to run the labyrinth twice, first with sound and second with no sound, couldn't complete it due to the crashes. Using the ps4 pro of that makes any difference.

Playing without sound helps with lag/FPS but not crashing - it's simply a big chunk of processing that your console doesn't have to do when triggering an encounter that spawns a lot of mobs at once, however the game crashes don't seem to coincide with anything major happening on-screen indicating it's something else. The Labyrinth doesn't spawn huge amounts of ads at once so you should be fine to run it with sound. I had a bad time getting through the first 3 labs without it crashing, however I ran the 4th without issue despite it being the one that most people have had issues with - just got lucky I guess.

I could be wrong but I believe the lab stays explored as you go through so perhaps that is why it's so susceptible to crashing as it's caching more map data than most other areas? Pure speculation of course but the radio silence from GGG makes me think they have no idea what's causing these crashes either... :o(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info