[3.16 - RETIRING BUILD] VD Brands: S-Tier Bosser, A-Tier Map! -- MURDERED BY GGG_INTERN SOMEWHERE--

Thanks for the tip about Replica Soul Tether, that was a massive EHP improvement.
"
primaeva wrote:
"
Iluvthu wrote:
Hi Primaeva,

I'm currently lvl94 in Rituals league and planning to switch over to this build. However, I do not have the currency and experience to craft/buy the helm and armour. Is it mandatory to have these items for the build to work? Or is it also still viable (but less dps) with Arcanist Brand and VD in a 6l non influenced armor?

Thanks for sharing the build as it looks really cool.

Heya mate!

I would say using a tanky 6L armor would work well, yes, but you more or less want to guarantee having "10% of Max Life gained as ES" craft on the chestpiece. In your helm can go the Incinerate/BoneOffering/Flammability/CWC loop (er, or you can just manually cast Bone Offering and Flammability sure.)

In the Chest Links you must include Power Charge on Critical as that's how we generate most of the damage.

Focus on getting Cinderswallow, Unnatural Instinct and Awakened Spell Cascade first - these are higher priority than the helm.

Thanks for the reply mate. Going to shop for the base (cheaper) items and then it is time to give this build a go!

Would appreciate if you could make a video how to craft the helm etc cuz I'm newbie to crafting and don't fully understand all the terms (like weedcrafting or augment out/in a specific stats). Once I have farmed some currency I can also chip in to help you make the video.
The dragons begin to speak, yin and yang are commingled
"
primaeva wrote:
Ok took a look mate.

1) How come you're not running Discipline? That'd take you to 1.7k ES immediately. Your PoB shows you as running two Zealotries.. Are you running two Zealotries? lol

2) Drop your 30 dex node

3) Unspec the Str and Intel node above Trickery. Instead, path through Assassination - crit mult is huge for the build.

4) Unspec that node next to Prismatic Heart on your Cluster Jewel. Put it in something like Lethal Assault.

5) Your Atziri's Flask doesn't do anything aside from 35% chaos res since we are Avatar of Fire and do no Chaos damage.

Always try to record your videos to see what went wrong. A lot of people panic and mash a ton of buttons and mess up their Brands on the floor.

Firstly, this can be undone by doing a manual #1 - #2 - #1 - #2 again, forcing the oldest wrong brands to disappear.

Secondly stay calm and don't panic - unattached brands last for like 8 seconds actually, and 5 for attached so there's no need to really cast new brands all the time. Instead focus on just dodging stuff, calmly cast new brands every 5 seconds.

Look at this fight. Just drop 2, and chill, let the Brand Attachment Range do its work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Xw7RtJyJk

Finally this is a topic most build guides seem to get caught up on - getting one shot on T16 has a lot to do with what map mods you roll, more than the build sometimes. With 6-7k combined pool, block/spellblock and not being a melee character, a LOT of deaths are from people running stuff like 210% gained as *element*, Monster Crit + Power Charges + Turbo, 2 Additional Projectiles, etc.

It will be a recurring theme in your PoE life that no build seems to be tanky enough because most of the Softcore builds focus on giving you 6k HP + Fortify and that's it - that's still gonna get clapped in a badly rolled map. You'll want 83% all res + Fortify + Perma Enfeeble if you want a one-shot-free experience.

At the very least, if you invest enough into this build, I will guarantee you that it does so much damage that you destroy things like Rituals before they even have a chance to stack auras.

Thanks for taking a look and the suggestion. Hmm must be a PoB bug lol, I'm running Discipline already.

After the tweak, the damage has gone up again and I pretty much got the playstyle, but I really have to keep rolling T16 map mods because I can't take any medium to high-risk mods (very rippy with my 5k/1.2 es). I'm trying to get a few more lvl so I can reach heartseeker node for that juicy multiplier.

Reading on some of the other player problems, I think I'm gonna swap the helm setup with a tanky 6l chest and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: Wow that video, nice fight, how did you get 3k Es?
Last edited by FateAvrnicus on Feb 6, 2021, 5:22:17 AM
Hi! So I respeced my lvl 93 witch into this build, I am carrying around 80ex worth of gear/gems, and am sitting at 5.3k life, 2.5k es. I think I got a hang of the playstyle, placing the brands alternatively as you described in the guide.

However, I still feel that I am doing something wrong, as I die quite a lot to pretty much anything. The damage is obviously there, with a lot of burst once the balls start rolling and the es leech kicks in. But once I stop to place more brands or to fire incinerate, I have to pray that I don't get hit, especially at the start of a map.

Can you please take a look at my setup and advise on what I need to do next?

IGN: Crusnik_
Anarchy: Ele-Wander 81
Standard: LA-Frenzy Ranger 86
"
Crusnik02 wrote:
Hi! So I respeced my lvl 93 witch into this build, I am carrying around 80ex worth of gear/gems, and am sitting at 5.3k life, 2.5k es. I think I got a hang of the playstyle, placing the brands alternatively as you described in the guide.

However, I still feel that I am doing something wrong, as I die quite a lot to pretty much anything. The damage is obviously there, with a lot of burst once the balls start rolling and the es leech kicks in. But once I stop to place more brands or to fire incinerate, I have to pray that I don't get hit, especially at the start of a map.

Can you please take a look at my setup and advise on what I need to do next?

Mother of god! Your gear is absolutely up there and you should be crushing content with impunity and no fear of death. All right, I need to thoroughly investigate what's going on with so many people reporting sudden deaths - in this build I almost relish getting hit because it lets me see some juicy ES overleech. If we pool enough videos maybe I can help solve a pain point that I'm missing.

Could you do me a fave and record one (or two even) of such one shots? Include the map overlay so I can see what map mods are up. This will really help tons!! I mean if you think about it, something is going around killing builds that have 7.5k THP and almost max block - that's tankier than at least 3/4 the builds on here.

(P.S. Quick improvement would be to throw a life mod on that regalia - Aug life costs 1.5-2ex on TFT from Trusted+ providers.)
💥💫BB Unloader 1000% AoE 70m DPS🗡️🔪🔫: view-thread/3466787
FlickerCoC Ice Nova / Spear Assassin: view-thread/3225536
🔨⚡CWC Lightning Conduit Mjolner Trickster: view-thread/3300148
VD Arcanist Brand Necro: view-thread/2911667
Last edited by primaeva on Feb 6, 2021, 9:06:12 AM
"
FateAvrnicus wrote:
"
primaeva wrote:
Ok took a look mate.

1) How come you're not running Discipline? That'd take you to 1.7k ES immediately. Your PoB shows you as running two Zealotries.. Are you running two Zealotries? lol

2) Drop your 30 dex node

3) Unspec the Str and Intel node above Trickery. Instead, path through Assassination - crit mult is huge for the build.

4) Unspec that node next to Prismatic Heart on your Cluster Jewel. Put it in something like Lethal Assault.

5) Your Atziri's Flask doesn't do anything aside from 35% chaos res since we are Avatar of Fire and do no Chaos damage.

Always try to record your videos to see what went wrong. A lot of people panic and mash a ton of buttons and mess up their Brands on the floor.

Firstly, this can be undone by doing a manual #1 - #2 - #1 - #2 again, forcing the oldest wrong brands to disappear.

Secondly stay calm and don't panic - unattached brands last for like 8 seconds actually, and 5 for attached so there's no need to really cast new brands all the time. Instead focus on just dodging stuff, calmly cast new brands every 5 seconds.

Look at this fight. Just drop 2, and chill, let the Brand Attachment Range do its work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Xw7RtJyJk

Finally this is a topic most build guides seem to get caught up on - getting one shot on T16 has a lot to do with what map mods you roll, more than the build sometimes. With 6-7k combined pool, block/spellblock and not being a melee character, a LOT of deaths are from people running stuff like 210% gained as *element*, Monster Crit + Power Charges + Turbo, 2 Additional Projectiles, etc.

It will be a recurring theme in your PoE life that no build seems to be tanky enough because most of the Softcore builds focus on giving you 6k HP + Fortify and that's it - that's still gonna get clapped in a badly rolled map. You'll want 83% all res + Fortify + Perma Enfeeble if you want a one-shot-free experience.

At the very least, if you invest enough into this build, I will guarantee you that it does so much damage that you destroy things like Rituals before they even have a chance to stack auras.

Thanks for taking a look and the suggestion. Hmm must be a PoB bug lol, I'm running Discipline already.

After the tweak, the damage has gone up again and I pretty much got the playstyle, but I really have to keep rolling T16 map mods because I can't take any medium to high-risk mods (very rippy with my 5k/1.2 es). I'm trying to get a few more lvl so I can reach heartseeker node for that juicy multiplier.

Reading on some of the other player problems, I think I'm gonna swap the helm setup with a tanky 6l chest and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: Wow that video, nice fight, how did you get 3k Es?

Hmmm but even in your PoB, with Discipline enabled you'd have 1.7k ES, not 1.2!! How are you getting 1.2?

Any chance you could pop some recording software and we see these one shots, I'm trying to get a compilation to figure out how it's a rather common complaint, and then we can solve that pain point together. Include the map overlay so I can see map mods!

Ah, the 3k was with my "tankly" 5L chest, so this damage was pre-helm and pre-chest upgrade. I have a A9 kill with less HP but more damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbzZLTyGABU
💥💫BB Unloader 1000% AoE 70m DPS🗡️🔪🔫: view-thread/3466787
FlickerCoC Ice Nova / Spear Assassin: view-thread/3225536
🔨⚡CWC Lightning Conduit Mjolner Trickster: view-thread/3300148
VD Arcanist Brand Necro: view-thread/2911667
Hello,

I saw the build on Reddit first and wanted to give it a try as I'm a huge lover of seeing red balls flying towards enemies and exploding them.
I had approx 30ex of currency to throw in it so I did. Still need to do last craft steps on the helm and using an Inpulsa instead of an explody chest but otherwise everything is pretty smooth.

I put everything on at lv80 and... After a few deaths, reducing the resolution of my game to reduce lags and freezes and getting the hang of it. It works !

I'm having lot of fun dropping brands and seeing packs explode. I'm still doing only T11-13 to level up a bit before tackling on the T14-16 but I'm sure I'll be able to go there soon.

Really nice build you put together and I wish PoE wasn't that laggy of a game to really enjoy it 100%, but even with the lags, it's still a blast. Looking forward to get the good specters to push the DPS even further. By the way about that: I can only have 1 specter yet (gem isn't lv20). If I'm right we can get 2 with the gem lv20 but how do we get the third one ? I couldn't find out.

The idea of tutorial videos is probably a very good one because the playstyle is not lazy. I'm not good at it yet but it does feel like there is a huge gap in speed and DPS between doing it ok and doing it properly to be honest.

Anyway thanks again for the build idea. It really makes VD shines again with a pretty "jump around and let monsters die behind you" playstyle that is amazing in my opinion !
"
primaeva wrote:

Mother of god! Your gear is absolutely up there and you should be crushing content with impunity and no fear of death. All right, I need to thoroughly investigate what's going on with so many people reporting sudden deaths - in this build I almost relish getting hit because it lets me see some juicy ES overleech. If we pool enough videos maybe I can help solve a pain point that I'm missing.

In my experience, it's very easy to make a small mistake at any time while playing this build while mapping and immediately get exploded. When you have momentum on your side, you feel unstoppable. You've got tons of overleech/discipline-ES-on-hit, you've got big corpse removing explosions, you've got the max block/life on block stuff from Bone Offering, and you're packing a very respectable 7k+ combined ES and life.

But if you ever let the momentum drop--if you forget to channel incinerate once in a while, or if you double-cast one kind of brand, or drop a cast because the game went down to single digit FPS, or you move towards a pack and press Brand Recall while it's still on cooldown, it all goes to hell.

It's especially spooky if you're engaging your first pack unbuffed, either because you just entered the map or because you spent some time looting, because then your raw HP drops down to a kind of pathetic 5K and you don't have Bone Offering up.

My honest guess is that you've been playing this build since Harvest, you likely just aren't making a lot of these mistakes anymore, but they will absolutely get you killed with very little warning in high red maps.
Last edited by Asterism on Feb 6, 2021, 11:01:43 AM
I finally switched, even with my semi-scuffed helm. I just started playing with it, but here are my 2 cents for the moment.

Once you get rolling the damage is def there, to note the build is very momentum based while mapping. It is not suuuuuper zoom zoom but still pretty fast (it's advertised as a bosskiller after all), but requires precise play.

Can't comment on the boss damage atm as i still haven't done any really hard content (a8, maven, simulacrum, 100% deli T16, etc).

I also had quite a few random deaths, which I suspect in my case are due to
1) not having phasing, so I smash occasionally my face into packs, which also aggravates point 2
2) random stuns (even with crab pantheon)
3) not having cinderswallow, so a lot less sustain during regular mapping
4) occasionally not having bone offering up while mapping
but mostly 6) brands randomly dying out due to low duration and me not recasting properly.

Ergo, my next purchase will prob be a cinderswallow w 50% stun avoidance. And a phasing flask.

There are a lot of timing windows to keep track of while playing and this probably is one of the sticking points. I often find myself losing track of recasting brands or channeling for bone offering for example.
Also the damage isn't immediate, as OP said you have to drop the brands and move forward, it takes a moment for the damage to ramp up.

Some inc duration on the tree for brand qol would do wonders but I see no way of getting it.

For context I have almost 5k life and 5k ES. I have no woke spell cascade, and anointed haematophagy. Lvl 92. VD is in this helm for the moment:
"
Asterism wrote:
"
primaeva wrote:

In my experience, it's very easy to make a small mistake at any time while playing this build while mapping and immediately get exploded. When you have momentum on your side, you feel unstoppable. You've got tons of overleech/discipline-ES-on-hit, you've got big corpse removing explosions, you've got the max block/life on block stuff from Bone Offering, and you're packing a very respectable 7k+ combined ES and life.

But if you ever let the momentum drop--if you forget to channel incinerate once in a while, or if you double-cast one kind of brand, or drop a cast because the game went down to single digit FPS, or you move towards a pack and press Brand Recall while it's still on cooldown, it all goes to hell.

It's especially spooky if you're engaging your first pack unbuffed, either because you just entered the map or because you spent some time looting, because then your raw HP drops down to a kind of pathetic 5K and you don't have Bone Offering up.

My honest guess is that you've been playing this build since Harvest, you likely just aren't making a lot of these mistakes anymore, but they will absolutely get you killed with very little warning in high red maps.

I think that's right on point. After OP confirmed that there's not much wrong with my setup, I analysed my playstyle and pretty much came to the same conclusion. The build's defences heavily rely on being in the "momentum", when I am leeching and have all the buffs up. However, at the start of the map and if I stop for whatever reason and lose the momentum, I feel like glass and it's at those points I get the one-shots.

I changed my playstyle a bit and was much more careful in my lack of momentum state. It's a bit frustrating at that point because unlike other builds where you immediately leech by attacking, with this one it takes a while and there's not much you can do other than get out of the harm's way and build the momentum. Bosses with invulnerability phases are particularly annoying in this respect, especially Kitava who has a lot of on ground degens and Chimera in its smoke-phase.

All in all, I think the build becomes the more enjoyable the more you progress in the initial learning curve. I think I have yet to surpass it though, been playing for just a day or so. I will make sure to record some videos if I encounter problems other than those described above. And I also agree that it would be very useful for OP to make a video guide explaining the mechanics in detail, as they are not very intuitive from the start.
IGN: Crusnik_
Anarchy: Ele-Wander 81
Standard: LA-Frenzy Ranger 86

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info