What is causing my Spell Damage to lower?

Disclaimer: I am a new player.

I am following Enki's Arc Witch build and am almost to endgame. I was going to switch out my armor in the meantime as I thought this one I found was stronger and provided more benefits (Albeit, I would have to add Cold Resistance to one of my other gear peices but that's no problem)

This is what I am wearing now:

And I was going to switch it out for this:

When I was looking at the stats changes, I found that the one I'm wearing now has 7031.82 Spell Damage and when I switch it out for the other one (and putting all gems into it's sockets) Spell Damage changes to 6865.56.

Could someone explain to me what's going on and what is affecting the spell damage stat? I'm not understanding what could be affecting the change. I'm not aware of Intelligence or Mana effecting damage but I am still new so I could be wrong on that. Could someone enlighten me?
Last edited by TheAlmightyZugs on Jul 1, 2020, 11:58:45 PM
Last bumped on Jul 3, 2020, 2:01:08 AM
The first one has 11 int - which has a small effect on your spell damage.

So, by loosing 11 int, you're reducing your spell slightly (by roughly 150 points or about 2%).

You're gaining armor - but if you're not an armor build (selected armor nodes on the tree) 400 armor is not going to do much, especially at end-game where it's pretty much ignored.
So, you're gaining 1 point of ES, but loosing 11 int points worth of ES so the overall result is lower ES.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:

So, by loosing 11 int, you're reducing your spell slightly (by roughly 150 points or about 2%).

You're gaining armor - but if you're not an armor build (selected armor nodes on the tree) 400 armor is not going to do much, especially at end-game where it's pretty much ignored.
So, you're gaining 1 point of ES, but loosing 11 int points worth of ES so the overall result is lower ES.

Oh okay. I see. For this Wand, is it cast speed that's causing this Wand (Currently using) to have higher damage?:

Even though this Wand has 21% higher Spell Damage?:

Last edited by TheAlmightyZugs on Jul 2, 2020, 12:29:04 AM
Cast speed vs spell damage will be relevant to your other gear and build. Generally speaking, if your mana regeneration can sustain it, cast speed is more useful.
Break it down:

The first wand has 32+29 for 61% Increased Spell damage, plus flat damage.
If you're going with Arc, the flat is going to be boosted by the spell damage (I think).
No other damage modifiers.

Then 7% increased cast speed. Cast (for casters) and attack (for attack skills) speed are always good to have, over many other modifiers that are low to middling.

The second wand has 36+6+40(crafted) for 82% increased. It then has 12% increased cold, boosting whatever cold damage you're doing - and zero if you're not applying cold with your spells. Likewise with burning - zero if no burning status is being applied. 'Burning' will not benefit fire spells like fireball; it only boosts the burning damage those spells might apply.

So the first wand adds flat lightning to your arc, plus the cast speed should pretty much equal or beat the second wand that has two modifiers not being applied to arc. If you have rings/amulet that add those elements, those added damage types *will* be modified by the increases on the second wand... but they're usually rather low so the effect will be minimal.

So you'll want rings/ammy/belt/shield (or second wand) that add or increase lightning to maximize your arc.

And 'More' is always better than 'increased' - so if you find something that has a 'more' to the element you're focusing on, try it out.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
Last edited by BlaqWolf on Jul 2, 2020, 1:27:51 AM
"
BlaqWolf wrote:

Int does not normally increase spell damage, it increases mana (wich technically increases your damage because you use archmage support) and energy shield.

More importantly, wich the other replys have missed is that you are using the "archmage" support gem.

That is why you lose damage when switching chests (the ES chest has +44 mana) and it is also part of why the first wand gives you more damage (+91 mana).

reducing your mana pool by removing items with + mana might make another support better for you instead of achmage (such as addad lightning damaga, controlled destruction or others).

leveling different supports in your weapon switch will let you switch depending on your current gear (as in if your unreserved mana isnt that high, another support will probably give you more in terms of damage then archmage will).
@SpyChicken
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
Break it down:

The first wand has 32+29 for 61% Increased Spell damage, plus flat damage.
If you're going with Arc, the flat is going to be boosted by the spell damage (I think).
No other damage modifiers.

Then 7% increased cast speed. Cast (for casters) and attack (for attack skills) speed are always good to have, over many other modifiers that are low to middling.

The second wand has 36+6+40(crafted) for 82% increased. It then has 12% increased cold, boosting whatever cold damage you're doing - and zero if you're not applying cold with your spells. Likewise with burning - zero if no burning status is being applied. 'Burning' will not benefit fire spells like fireball; it only boosts the burning damage those spells might apply.

So the first wand adds flat lightning to your arc, plus the cast speed should pretty much equal or beat the second wand that has two modifiers not being applied to arc. If you have rings/amulet that add those elements, those added damage types *will* be modified by the increases on the second wand... but they're usually rather low so the effect will be minimal.

So you'll want rings/ammy/belt/shield (or second wand) that add or increase lightning to maximize your arc.

And 'More' is always better than 'increased' - so if you find something that has a 'more' to the element you're focusing on, try it out.

I thought that Physical Damage (Flat Damage) was not applied to spells. If this is wrong, is there anywhere I could find a list of spells that do use Physical Damage? I looked at the wiki and can't finad anything.
"
SpyChicken wrote:
"
BlaqWolf wrote:

Int does not normally increase spell damage, it increases mana (wich technically increases your damage because you use archmage support) and energy shield.

More importantly, wich the other replys have missed is that you are using the "archmage" support gem.

That is why you lose damage when switching chests (the ES chest has +44 mana) and it is also part of why the first wand gives you more damage (+91 mana).

reducing your mana pool by removing items with + mana might make another support better for you instead of achmage (such as addad lightning damaga, controlled destruction or others).

leveling different supports in your weapon switch will let you switch depending on your current gear (as in if your unreserved mana isnt that high, another support will probably give you more in terms of damage then archmage will).

So with Archmage, the more Mana I have the more damage I do because it adds extra lightning damage based off of my total (100%) mana pool?
you kinda got it.

"supported skills have base mana cost equal to 6% of unreserved maximum mana, if that value is higher"

The more unreserved mana you have, the more mana the skills cost to use.

"supported skills gain added lightning damage equal to xxx% (increases with level) of mana cost, if mana cost is not higher than the maximum you could spend"

the more mana your spell costs to cast the more added lightning damage you get from archmage.

so, archmage makes your spells cost 6% of your total unreserved mana and gives you added lightning damage depending on the mana cost.

Auras/heralds reserv mana, meaning they "grey it out", making it unusable. this is important to remember as archmage calculates mana cost/damage from unreserved mana only.
@SpyChicken
"
SpyChicken wrote:
you kinda got it.

"supported skills have base mana cost equal to 6% of unreserved maximum mana, if that value is higher"

The more unreserved mana you have, the more mana the skills cost to use.

"supported skills gain added lightning damage equal to xxx% (increases with level) of mana cost, if mana cost is not higher than the maximum you could spend"

the more mana your spell costs to cast the more added lightning damage you get from archmage.

so, archmage makes your spells cost 6% of your total unreserved mana and gives you added lightning damage depending on the mana cost.

Auras/heralds reserv mana, meaning they "grey it out", making it unusable. this is important to remember as archmage calculates mana cost/damage from unreserved mana only.

Okay so I just want to fully dissect this just so I completely understand. Thanks by the way for taking the time ot break it down for me.

1)

When it says, "If this value is higher", is it saying that the skill will only work if 6% of total unreserved mana is higher than 6% of total reserved mana? Meaning that the skill will not work if you have a bunch of skills reserving mana where the reserved pool would be larger than the unreserved pool?

Which then means like you said, the more unreserved mana you have, the more mana the skills cost to use (6% of a bigger pool vs 6% of a smaller pool) and having that higher mana cost adds additional lightning damage to supported spells?

2)

When it says, "If mana cost is not higher than the maximum you could spend"

This one I don't quite understand. Specifically when it says, "Not higher than the maximum you could spend." Is this saying basically that you have to have some mana reserved so that when you have both an unreserved pool and a reserved pool, the % mana cost is going to be lower with the unreserved pool (in that case) than if you just had an unreserved pool and no reserved pool, where the unreserved pool (in that case) would have higher overall mana? Or am I going in the wrong direction with this one?
Last edited by TheAlmightyZugs on Jul 2, 2020, 10:06:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info